Low BP and heart rate?

pete10141748

Postaholic
Having been to my doctor this morning for my checkup as LL requires, I've been told that my blood pressure is low (not dangerously so, but lower than she would have liked to see it) and that my resting pulse rate is very low- just 55bpm. That's a hell of a jump down since last time (about 5 weeks ago) my BP was slightly above normal and my pulse was a (healthy) 72bpm.

I know I said the other week I was feeling tired/weak etc, and all day today now I've felt light-headed, weak and generally lethargic. I had to walk into town earlier (about 30mins round trip) and was ready to keel over by the time I got back to my office :(

I don't really know what to do, I keep checking my pulse in fear that it's going to get lower and lower! :p

I've already decided to completely cut the exercise for this week (at least) as I don't think I could face those 5+ mile walk/runs in the state I feel :(

Any other advice / thoughts, anyone?

EDIT: Forgot to add, that all I can think about is that I really, really really want something to eat as I hate this weak feeling and not having any energy :( I'm not going to, but damn, do I really feel I should :( :(

Pete, how often were you doing 5k runs? That seems an awful lot when on a VLCD, which could easily have an effect on your energy levels, and BP, etc.

Glad you are laying off it - I think you might be asking too much of your body.

At the end, thought, several of us felt this way. Try not to worry, just take steps to make sure everything stays level.

x

Hi Pete

I can relate to this totally from my first time on LL. About a stone from goal I got really tired all the time and when I had my check up my BP was 98/60 and resting pulse was 52. I even fainted one morning and was diagnosed with postural hypertension.

I really felt I needed to eat but didn't - I continued for another month until I reached goal, but just made sure I took it easy, didn't stand up too quickly and listened to my body when it said slow down.

I wasn't exercising then so that wasn't an issue, but I think you're probably right to lay off a bit. Once you get to goal (about a month?) and reintroduce food it does improve and then you've got the rest of your life to do that exercise :D

EDITED: To add my previous check up was only 3 weeks prior and I was BP 108/60, pulse 78 so I too had a big drop!

[naive message alert]

Could the length of time on LL be causing this effect. Is it not the case that NICE recommend a 'milk week' after about 12 weeks, then you can revert to full abstinance?

One of the guys in my group had a 'milk week' and still lost 3lb, so might not be a bad idea

[naive message alert over]

Eother way, definately a good idea to take it easy until you come off the diet.

I found that my blood pressure and pulse dropped if I was not as hydrated as I ought to be.

Try drinking slightly more for the next few days and see how you feel...

Hi Pete

Think you are doing the right thing by giving the excercise a break and if you are really worried that it might continue to fall then don't hesitate to go back to get checked again or even pop into your local chemist as that might put your mind at rest.

Not sure if this will help but came accross the following:

Nutrients:
As low blood pressure is caused by malnutrition, intake of enough protein, [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]vitamins[/COLOR][/COLOR]

B group and vitamin C goes a long way in treating the low blood pressure. Particularly, [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]pantothenic [COLOR=blue! important]acid[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] has been found very beneficial in the treatment and prevention of low blood pressure. So, sufficient intake of all these vitamins helps in raising the blood pressure for sure.

Salt:
The use of salt is valuable in low blood pressure. Until the blood pressure reaches normal levels through proper dietary and other remedies, it is essential that the patient should take salty foods and half a teaspoon of salt in water, daily.

I am clearly not suggestion that you have malnutrition but thought perhaps you could give the vitamins suggested a bit of thought or at least get further advice on them and also the Marigold swiss buillion drink has salt in so perhaps a cup of that a day may help a little if your salt levels are too low.

Hope you start to feel better soon!

Thanks for the input guys :)

BL, I was doing it Monday through Friday as it was my walk/run home from work, I'm back to being on the bus now, it sucks but at least I can have a little nap :p

and it's nice to hear that other's felt this way as they got nearer to their goal as well, sounds weird to say but it helps me when I know that others have 'fought throug' this too :)

thanks again guys, I'm off for some more sleep I think :p

Oh dear Pete!! Glad you're listening to your body and having a bit of a break. You've done so well upto now. Hope you're feeling your bouncy self again soon.

Hi pete
i think you are being very sensible listening to your body.
what about doing the milk week - maybe it would help
daisy x

OK more worrying stuff this morning, on the way to work (on the bus) I could barely stay awake and felt awful, I checked my pulse again (I'm going all hypochondriac!!! lol) and again just now after waking for 15 minutes from the stop to work, both times it was only around 45-50bpm, it's really worrying me :(

I'll ride it out until Friday night when I can speak to me LLC about it at my meeting, I guess I could just be having some sort of weird week, but in all honestly it just feels like my body is pulling out all the stops to get me to eat stuff :( :( :( :cry::break_diet:

HAVE A MILK WEEK PETE!!!! And start sooner, ring the LLC!!!

Yes, I second that - have some milk. Have you done any of the milk weeks you were meant to do? <waggles finger :D> I think they are extremely important, and I get worried when people don;t do them for fear of gaining weight. Your health MUST come first, the pounds off second!

about the last three weeks, before I started RTM I was experiencing some serious light-headedness, where I would have to hold on to something till it passed. I am pretty sure my BP would have been low but I did not have it checked so can't be certain. But I do believe in a away it is your body saying its nearly "enough is enough".

Don't panic - though that is one way to increase your BP, hehe, but try not to worry.

I wouldn;t wait to speak to your LLC, just have some milk in your packs today. You won;t gain anything as a result, but your body will have something new to process and that will help.

Keep us posted fella.

xx

i'm a bit worried pete, something doesn't sound right.
as bl says your health is more important than one or two pounds.

daisy x

Back