Low calorie recipies?

chick10

Got To Keep Counting :D
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has any low calorie recipies they want to share on minimins? Or websites (uk prefered) that give great recipies?

Thank you :)

I've found loads a while ago on the bbc 200-400 one. Now I regularly make their thai prawn soup, chicken in bacon, mushroom risotto. I also found a low cal stroganoff recipe somewhere which is really nice. x

Thanks for all those websites above, my favourite was the 50 weekly womens website. Some really good recipies!

And hey lindsey could you pass on any of those recipies?

Thank u x

Thanks, these sites are great. I find myself eating the same things day in day out. I eat a lot of chargrilled chicken with various seasonings and usually fry up a load of peppers, mushrooms and onions. Thats my main diet! not very varied! I eat salmon quite often too, again, varying the seasoning.

One of my favourite recipes is an asparagus omelette, served with parma ham and parmesan, delicious. I use only one full egg and another 2 egg whites.

Also I eat a lot of mushrooms with low fat soft cheese. A large portobello grilled and smothered with soft cheese and a tiny bit of grated cheese grilled on top is great. Or I'll fry up a big pile of mushrooms and onions, mix with Philadelphia and have on nimble toast, definitely one of my favourite lunches!

Im having yellow fish this week (haddock) i was wondering if anyone has any ideas what i could have with it? Thanks

Im having yellow fish this week (haddock) i was wondering if anyone has any ideas what i could have with it? Thanks

Kedgeree is perfect! Use brown rice rather than white to save on calories, and cook the haddock in milk (skimmed, save on calories!). Cook the rice with some curry powder, then about 3 minutes before its finished add in a cup of frozen peas and the fish, broken up. Once finished you can go down the traditional route and top with coriander/parsley and some hard boiled eggs if you want. I don't like hard boiled eggs, so I just eat as is. Super filling and low calorie =)

All Things Food and Diet - FatSecret have a huge amount of recipes organised by cuisine, course, low cal, low carb, high protein, special diets and type of meat/protein used =)

Kedgeree is perfect! Use brown rice rather than white to save on calories, and cook the haddock in milk (skimmed, save on calories!). Cook the rice with some curry powder, then about 3 minutes before its finished add in a cup of frozen peas and the fish, broken up. Once finished you can go down the traditional route and top with coriander/parsley and some hard boiled eggs if you want. I don't like hard boiled eggs, so I just eat as is. Super filling and low calorie =)

All Things Food and Diet - FatSecret have a huge amount of recipes organised by cuisine, course, low cal, low carb, high protein, special diets and type of meat/protein used =)

This sounds lovely! Have you had it before? If so can you use makaway curry powder?

Yeah we make it regularly (cause its super cheap) and yeah you can use any curry powder you like =)

Last edited:
How long do you cook the haddock in the milk for and how much milk?

Just fill a frying pan with 1/2milk 1/2 water until its about a centimeter from the top, place the fish in once its simmering and keep simmering until the fish is cooked. Don't let it boil though otherwise you'll end up with that horrible burnt milk taste. It should only take about 7 minutes (depending on how big the fillet is).

Then once its cooked, remove the skin and flake the fish with a fork. Add it to the cooked rice and peas, mix, then eat.

The milk neutralises the saltiness of the fish - smoked fish is always much more salty.

I've just had the haddock and rice, is lovely!! It's a huge portion for not that many calories at all!

I've just had the haddock and rice, is lovely!! It's a huge portion for not that many calories at all!

Mhmm! I love kedgeree! It was actually a popular Victorian breakfast. Oh dear, I'm going to stop here now before my history nerd takes over.

I might have Kedgeree tonight actually!

Ive just had it too, and wow its gorgeous! Thanks for telling about this, ill be eating it alot now! X

Me too I think, it's so cheap too! I think it'll be a regular once I'm back at uni!

Back