Low carb food for vegetarians

Aimee

hiya!
Hi all! im a veggie and follow the green plan but im worried my slow weight loss is because im eating too many carbs! Can any of you list some foods i can eat as a dinner that are low in carbs? thanks :)

One of my low carb meals for when I don't want any meat is to chop up a couple of quorn sausages some mushrooms and till browned/cooked through then chuck in some chopped cherry toms and quickly add a couple of beaten eggs mixed in with a hexa of grated cheese to make an omlette/frittata. I find it pretty filling so don't really miss the carbs.

Was going to suggest omelette!!

Just use other veg as an alternative to potato - swede mash, roast squash, butternut squash chips (I've not tried these yet but am going to this week!)

Also make soups and casseroles with chickpeas and different beans - a bit starchy but not as stodgy as pasta or rice :)

Last week I had as a red day meal half a butternut squash stuffed with roasted veg (red onion, pepper, courgette, tomato, squash) and feta cheese (HexA). It was yum and I was as stuffed as the squash by the end ;)

you can do a red day as a veggie to limit your carb intake, just have quorn etc instead of meat

What do you call slow?
I do green as a veggie and my losses have been fab. My routine is I virtually always have all my syns and all 4 HEs. I don't snack on free food in-between meals as a rule, usually snacks are my syns/HEs/superfree. I also virtually always use wholegrain carbs, like brown rice and wholewheat pasta. Dunno if the extra fibre helps, but I've never lost less than a pound and often up to three

Hi, I commented on a thread earlier (SW v WW) & mentioned portion control. I'm veggie too so I eat a lot of carbs but if I eat more than I should my losses completely slow down too! With some meals like pasta bake I make them too big (I never get it right!) & those weeks I eat that meal I'll either sts or have a tiny loss. I think you should try a really balanced meal. I eat a lot of quorn so a standard meal for me is 1 peppered steak, 3 small new potatoes & the rest is super free. I eat a lot of super free (so my meals are never small) with my meals which when mixed with quorn it automatically decreases my carb intake.

:DI only ever do Green days and to be honest I would rather lose slowly (see my stats below) and eat bread, pasta, rice and poatatoes every day than not! :D

Can I ask - do any of you who follow the green plan NOT worry about portion size (but stop when you are full) and get good losses? I thought SW was not about portion size, but having the right food...

Thx
Nona
x

I don't worry about portion sizes. In the first few weeks, my portions were huge. As the weeks have gone by, my appetite has genuinely got smaller, so I've tried to do normal size portions rather than my usual supersize! I find it extremely hard not to clear my plate, but I'm learning that there is no point eating food if I'm full and it's ok to leave food.

I've had great losses up to now

Can I ask - do any of you who follow the green plan NOT worry about portion size (but stop when you are full) and get good losses? I thought SW was not about portion size, but having the right food...

Thx
Nona
x

All my meals are completely balanced. I make sure I always have 1/3 superfree & I have 1/3 quorn & 1/3 carbs. As I said above I know that I can't eat lots of meals mainly made up of carbs & lose weight so in the sense that I only have 1/3 carbs with a meal & am satisfied SW does teach me portion control.

nona2010 said:

Thx
Nona
x

All diets are about portion control, just some of them do it in different ways. With SW, the portion control is achieved with the 1/3rd superfree recommendation (which applies to all 3 plans by the way, not just extra easy). Maybe you could try looking at that?

I know that this thread has moved on but don't be surprised if the original poster doesn't reply.... This thread has been resurrected from 16th August 2010.

Glad to see that it's still relevent and raising interesting questions!

Back