Low carb, low fat, high protein diet...healthy?

Sunday77

I have been dieting two months now, and have managed to lose close to 9kgs, average 1kg a week.
My diet consists of salads, occasional fruits, lots of protein (chicken breast, fish, eggs) and moderate aerobic exercise.
I conceived this diet plan myself after monitoring what foods helped me lose weight. However, after reading lots on this type of diet plan, many have claimed disadvantages, the most important being easy weight gain with introduction of carbs again.
I have made this plan a lifelong goal. Exercise is essential, lots of salad and fruit is important. Does it constitute a balanced diet? Will the pounds add on fast If I introduce some carbs or fats? How can I maintain my weight for the long term?

If you are doing low-carb and low-fat you shouldn't have a problem but try not to cut them out completely if you want a sustainable diet.

Fruits and veggies have carbs in and chicken, fish, eggs have fat in. I reckon you're all right doing what you are doing especially if it's working and is going to be a lifestyle change rather than a diet. If you do have carbs just make sure they are good ones like brown rice/pasta/bread or veggies such as corn, sweet potato, squash etc.

But I think you're doing well as you are. Congrats on 9kg lost! I'm hoping once summer comes around I'll be more up for salads because I could do with lowering my carb intake.

Remember peppers, cucumber , tomatoes are all carbs but GOOD carbs (complex carbs) .. they give you energy..without them you wont get full up as much and have less energy. They are natural so digest slower.

Its the simple carbs like pasta and bread to keep to a minimum

What you're doing is very similar to Dukan, it has a stage where you reintroduce some carbs and fat slowly to maintain your weight loss once you reach your target weight so well worth a read and see if you can fit your eating plan to something similar.

Back