Low carb yoghurt? (UK)

kc.

Does anyone know what yoghurt I can buy in shops such as Asda or Tesco which are low in carbs? I spent a fair while in the yoghurt aisle today looking at the backs of yoghurts only to find that pretty much all of them are at least 16g or more in carbs? The only one I did manage to find was a weight watchers yoghurt which i THINK was around 5g carbs per tub (cant totally remember)

However, after reading a couple of threads on here I see that people are eating full fat cream/yoghurts etc due to 'diet' low fat options generally being replaced with more sugars???

Or is 16g for your average yoghurt reasonable?

Have a look at full fat greek yogurts - think they have the lowest carbs.

i did actually buy a fage greek yoghurt but it was so thick, it was more like creme fraiche than yoghurt! not enjoyable..

Just noticed this thread, low carb yogurt is a staple in our house, I make it at home. Have never found low carb yogurt in the shops apart from Greek yogurt.

We have a bulk yogurt maker which we got from Lakeland, what you do is put a spoonful of the yogurt you want to use as a starter - I just take a spoonful from the previous batch - and stir in a litre of UHT milk. I use full fat milk because it is slightly lower in carbs. Then just plug it in and leave for 24 hours. The yogurt will be set after about 8 hours, but if you just leave it to carry on then what happens is the lactose gets pretty much all used up - and that's where the carbs are. You end up with yogurt that is very nearly zero carb.

Greek yogurt is low in carbs for a different reason, it is because it has been drained which makes it thick, the whey has most of the carbs you see. The traditional way to do it is to put ordinary yogurt in a sieve or colander lined with a cloth, and put it over a bowl. The whey (slightly cloudy liquid with the carbs/lactose in it) drains down into the bowl and the yogurt left behind in the sieve is much thicker - the longer you leave it, the thicker it gets as more whey drains out - so you end up with very thick yogurt that has less carbs than ordinary yogurt.

Making it at home and leaving it to 'yog' for 24 hours, you end up with ordinary thickness yogurt that is low in carb. :) Also it is very cheap!

I have alpro soya yogurt, its roughly 5g carbs per 100g.x

I usually shop at Tescos but have found it difficult to get low (ish) carb desserts there so went to M&S today and Marks and Spencers do some lovely "Count on Us" range yogurts, I bought a couple of packs today, they are called "tropical yogurt selection" and there are 2 mango & passion fruit and 2 peach and papaya, they have 60 kcal a pot and 8.7g carb and the other has 8.9g carb per pot. Not sure if this helps, but they are yummy and very satisfying! Emma

Back