Low energy density foods - ?

LisaC

Gold Member
On the SW website it says "S & SS foods are low or extra-low in energy density compared to others in the same food group, so they have extra slimming power!"

Can anyone explain exactly what this means? I did google energy density but it was no help. If the foods fill you up (like lots of other foods), how do they have "extra slimming power"?

Thank you Melanie! So basically eating the same amount of low energy density foods compared to higher fills you up for longer?

the grapes to raisins comparison is a good one.

If for example it took 100g of food to fill your tum, 100g of raisins will have a lot more calories than 100g of grapes.

The S and SS is a handy guide of what to try to help speed up weightloss, but just use it as that, a guide. Don't get obsessed over numbers and densities, like I've seen a few people do :) x

the grapes to raisins comparison is a good one.

If for example it took 100g of food to fill your tum, 100g of raisins will have a lot more calories than 100g of grapes.

The S and SS is a handy guide of what to try to help speed up weightloss, but just use it as that, a guide. Don't get obsessed over numbers and densities, like I've seen a few people do :) x

I don't think I could get obsesed over densities, I'm still a little confused :p I used to hear my C say that S & SS foods pass through your system faster so that's what I thought the SW site would say, hence my confusion! All good info when you compare what you can eat to other choices you could make.

I think it just means that they're foods that are big in volume but low in calories - so you get filled up for fewer calories than other foods.

(I think that because lots of these are fibre-rich veggies, they might also go through you quickly, so to speak, if you're not used to it! Don't think this helps weight loss, other than the obvious - you weigh less if you're not constipated! :D)

Back