Low fat marg

Abbysmum

I'm planning on making some yogurt scones tomorrow and wondered what low-fat marg you use for baking? Some of the low fat ones out there say not suitable for baking so I'm not sure which to use.

I think you can use the Flora light for baking but not the extra light. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

For any baking, margarine/spread must have a minimum of 59% fat otherwise you will not get anything to rise, as per Marguerite Pattern on woman's hour last week, and she should know lol.

ps, I use stork if I'm being a cheap skate or proper butter if its for something special. rather have a little bit of something gorgeous and syn it than mediocre and syn it for not a lot less usually.

I use Clover light. I'm going to have a go at making some yoghurt scones I think.

I'm making the Apple Betty today though.

Flora Light does say that it's not suitable for baking, but it will do the job if you're really pushed, like the poster above said, your baking won't really rise as well, but then you can always add a little baking soda?

Apple Betty? Oooh share recipe? xx

I'll send it you in a pm and also put it in the recipe folder. I've not tried it yet though so not sure how it will taste.

Hi, I've just made some banana bread for OH to use some bananas up and used Flora Light without realising (until I'd mix it all) that it's not suitable for baking! That said the bread has just come out fine and OH says it tastes delicious so it's worked OK for me! xxx

Yeah i've used it too and it's ok, despite what the packet says.

Back