Low Fat Onion Bhaji Recipe?

pink_kelly

I am thinking about making a low fat curry for myself and partner on Friday, I am struggling to find a low fat alternative recipe for my favourite - Onion Bhaji's! Has anyone any ideas?

xx

Bombay Bhajis

Fry light
1 medium onion, chopped
170g/6oz potatoes, cooked and chopped
227g/8oz can chickpeas, drained
1 egg, beaten
0.5 tsp baking powder
2 tsp bombay mixed spice (easy to find amongst the herbs/spices in the supermarket - but I think I used quite a bit more than 2tsp when I last made them, probably double that)
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Method:

- Spray a non-stick frying pan with fry-light and cook the onion for approximately 5 minutes until tender.
- Transfer to a bowl, add the potato and chickpeas and mash together (I used a potato masher for this).
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and form into balls.
- Arrange the Bhajis on a baking tray that has been sprayed with fry-light. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 220 degrees / Gas mark 7 for approximately 15 minutes until golden.
- Enjoy!

Thank you Alex! That's brilliant!!!!! Woo for healthy curry night tomorrow.

How many does this make out of interest? And how many should I eat? xxx

I think it's supposed to make 20, but I guess it depends how big you like your bhajis (oo-err!)
I don't know that fat/calorie content I'm afraid, but it probably wouldn't be too difficult to work out if you find out the content of each of the ingredients, add them up, and then divide by how many bhajis you make.
They must be pretty low fat though, I can't see anything on the ingredients list that would cause any problems with the Xenical.
I've made these loads of times, and I've taken them to buffets/parties and they've always gone down well with people, even the ones who aren't dieting.
Hope you enjoy them!
x

oooh thanks for this one alex!! ill be trying these soon!
x

Back