Low GI Foods

BritMumInCanada

Gold Member
Does anyone know if there is a "correct" list online.

I have the low GI book (Rick Gallop) - canadian version - which says Sweet Potato and Squash as well as peanuts are not LOW GI, but then on some lists online I have seen that they are.

So am confused at to which is actually right?

I actually do slimming world, but want to combine Low GI foods into it because of my PCOS.

Thanks

Last edited:
I have the low GI book which says Sweet Potato and Squash as well as peanuts are not LOW GI, but then on some lists online I have seen that they are.

The confusing might be that they have a high GI but a low GL.

Sweet Potatoes, boiled...GI 46
and their GL is 9

Peanuts GI is 14 and their GL is 2

GI = Glycaemic index

GL = Glycaemic Load

(Reference Anthony Worral Thompson's GL diet made simple)

ahhh right, so what is the difference with low GI and low GL?

If peanuts GI is 14, then I would think that makes them a low GI food, but not according to the Rick Gallop book, so you can see why I am confused (I hope lol)

ahhh right, so what is the difference with low GI and low GL?

If peanuts GI is 14, then I would think that makes them a low GI food, but not according to the Rick Gallop book, so you can see why I am confused (I hope lol)

I'm really surprised he's listed them as not low GI, as they definitely are! Is he taking into account fat content in which foods he recommends?

I'm really surprised he's listed them as not low GI, as they definitely are! Is he taking into account fat content in which foods he recommends?

I am not sure, it has the food lists as the back of the book and peanuts and sweet potato as well as bns have a medium GI according to his book.

Can I ask which list/book you refer to?

thanks

thank you Maynie. I will check out the south beach diet.

No idea why Rick Gallop's book is wrong. I thought his books were meant to be good. Obviously not if they are wrong.

Hi guys

All I know is I have followed rick's book and had fab results. I have always just had sweet potato. I am not a peanut fun so I never would eat them anyway. I got good losses with the sweet potato eating too! lol

I am gonna check out south beach now though as I have terrible PCOS

x

He is not wrong but itsd to do with the ammount need to work out the GI .
You only need a small amount of sugar to work out the GI but would have to eat much much more that a portion of carrots to get its GI .the GL gives you a number relating to the portion size this is why there can be such a big difference .

Very good book
GI and GL counter by Dr wynnie chan published by hamlyn

it is lists of common foods and tells you GI GL saturated fats fats calories protien carbs and fibre

its only small so fits in your bag it helps you balance out how much you should be eating of any food as we all know just because its low GI its not always low cals
Mine was 99p from ebay but £3.99 new so cheap too x

Mandye, you are truly a font of knowledge on GI/GL. It can be confusing working out the details. Must chase up that gi/gl counter by Dr wynnie.

Very good book
GI and GL counter by Dr wynnie chan published by hamlyn

it is lists of common foods and tells you GI GL saturated fats fats calories protien carbs and fibre

its only small so fits in your bag it helps you balance out how much you should be eating of any food as we all know just because its low GI its not always low cals
Mine was 99p from ebay but £3.99 new so cheap too x

That sounds great, will see if I can get that book.

Is there a way of working out the GI/GL of foods?

Back