Low Residue Foods

stephie0611

needs to focus!!!!
Wondered if anybody would be able to help me with this.

I've got to go into hospital on Friday and 2 days before (tomorrow) they have said that i am only to eat low residue foods.

All of this seems to be quite fattening.

Has anybody got any ideas of what i can eat, baring in mind i have a huge appetite and like to snack during the day normally on fruit!!! xx

thanks for that, what about snacking though?
I hate having to do this, as i've been back on track with this, the the day after all i can eat is clear soups and jelly, which is easy enough. x

So, basically the opposite of high-fibre foods. And Activia.

I think you're just going to be 'off-plan' - as they're aiming for the opposite to SW. If it'w what they need you to doso they can do their job at least it's for a good reason eh hun.

x

So, basically the opposite of high-fibre foods. And Activia.

I think you're just going to be 'off-plan' - as they're aiming for the opposite to SW. If it'w what they need you to doso they can do their job at least it's for a good reason eh hun.

x

yeah i know huni, its just a nightmare, and the thought of basically starving for 2-3 days is going to drive me up the wall. xx

But you'll come out fit and well, ready to really appreciate being back on plan, in time to get everything ready for the christmas break.
I know it must be depressing to think about hospital AND being off plan when you've been working so hard on it. We'll have to be reall Pollyanna's and play the 'glad game' to find the positives eh!

x

i have crohns and have had to do a low residue diet for a while and just be careful of anything with 'hidden' fibre too. I ended up having cheese sandwiches on white bread and the only veg i could eat was mushrooms and no fruit it was not great. I ended up snacking on jelly lots

i have crohns and have had to do a low residue diet for a while and just be careful of anything with 'hidden' fibre too. I ended up having cheese sandwiches on white bread and the only veg i could eat was mushrooms and no fruit it was not great. I ended up snacking on jelly lots

Thanks very much, was going to have macaroni cheese, but use the cheese sauce. So am i best just to snack on the jelly and nothing else? xx

tbh that is what i did it must be very very low fibre so if you can get hold psome spaghetti rings (not wholewheat) or tinned spag that would be good too

you'll have to be careful with the tinned stuff, as lots of them make a point of using wholemeal pasta nowadays. Sounds HARD!

Follow this link there is a leaflet produced by a hospital and it lists all the foods to avaoid and the ones you can eat
www.northumbria.nhs.uk/getfile.asp?id=104772

ok I have typed it out for you:
A low-residue diet
Foods you are allowed
Protein
Lean meat, chicken, fish, offal (liver, kidneys and so on), eggs and cheese.
Dairy
Cheese, milk, ice-cream, natural and fruit-flavoured yoghurts, custard, cream, butter and margarine.
Starchy food
White flour, bread or rolls.
White crackers, such as cream crackers and white biscuits such as Rich Tea.
'White ' pasta such as macaroni, spaghetti, white rice and pitta bread made with white flour.
Low-fibre breakfast cereal without fruit or nuts, such as Rice Krispies, Sugar Puffs, Coco Pops, Ricicles and Cornflakes.
Fruit
Tinned fruit including pears, apricots and peaches.
Ripe, peeled and cored apples, pears, peaches, apricots and melon.
Vegetables
Peeled and well-cooked potato, carrots, turnips, swede, marrow, beetroot, cauliflower florets and broccoli florets.
Sweets
Jam, marmalade without peel or pips, lemon curd and honey
Sweets, chocolate, cakes, biscuits without fruit or nuts and coconut.
Clear soups without vegetables.
Tea, coffee, malted drinks, hot chocolate, squash, Oxo, Bovril, salt and pepper.

Foods you should avoid
Protein
Tough stringy meat.
Dairy
Fruit yoghurt containing skins or pips.
Starchy food
Wholemeal flour, wholemeal brown bread,
granary bread, soft-grain bread and rolls.
Wholemeal crackers, such as Ryvita and
Crackerwheat, wholewheat biscuits, such as
Digestives and Hob Nobs, wholewheat
pasta and brown rice.
High-fibre breakfast cereals, such as Weetabix, Branflakes, Muesli, All bran, Shredded Wheat, porridge and Fruit and Fibre.
Fruit
All other tinned fruit.
Fruit with skins, pips or seeds, such as strawberries, citrus fruit, gooseberries, rhubarb and dried fruit.
Peas, pulses, celery, radishes, cucumber, spring onions, sweetcorn, cabbage, brussels sprouts, vegetable stalks, cauliflower and broccoli stalks, tomatoes and leeks
Rough-cut marmalade and jam with pips.
Sweets, chocolate, cakes, biscuits with dried fruit, nuts or coconut.
Soup containing vegetables.
Pickles and chutney and pure fruit juice with bits of fruit.

Back