Lynne: Low Carb Fan

Oof, so much time passed since last post. I went to UK for 2 weeks, travelled to Bristol, Guernsay and then Cambridge. -Got back on 1st November. Happy memories of family, lots of photos as reminders I ate all the wrong things, loved every second (apart from the heartburn), and got home pretty much the same weight as before I left. I suppose though, I did a lot of walking and hauling heavy bags plus didn't eat a lot, just wrong things. This is where it went silly. -I havent managed to get back on track since. So, line in the sand. January it is.

On a positive note, I have got my winter clothes out and some of them are far too big and some now fit me well. I can see I have a better shape but I have a belly that really does need to be flatter. January it is.

Eating Low Carb is a habit. It requires a different way of thinking about cooking. I enjoy the challenge. I don't routinely stock carby foods, -if its not here, I cant be tempted to cook it. However I will freely admit to chocolate, magnums, cakes creeping in since the summer basically. So theres been the illogical low carb brunch and dinner followed by a magnum. I see some fab looking Low Carb recipes for sweet things in All Day I Dream About Food. I am split, I know if it's here, I would want to eat it because I haven't the self control to ration it. Also getting the Erythritol and protein powder MIGHT be tricky. To be honest I haven't tried hard to get them because I suspect it wont help me with my addiction to sweet things.... But I am still mulling it over. I have downloaded a habit tracker, set up for a few doable habits and now considering what more I can add to the list. I am gearing up for another push for some loss. Maybe 10Kg would be a good initial goal. I LOVE using the Diet Doctor app, most of the recipes have been really tasty without big fuss. Yes, January it is.

Meanwhile though I will be a bit naughty, the low carb thread runs through my day to day heading for the Christmas Day crescendo. I send my very best wishes to you all and hope you have a wonderful time. See you all in 2022....... *mwah*

What a good update. I understand the creep issue. I am more careful about the amount of extra fat/oil I use now. I rarely cook sweet things as I find them compelling and eat too much. I used to do a lot of keto baking when I previously did low carb. Now I make something maybe once a month - a pudding - perhaps a mousse with eggs and cream, lemon or chocolate, or an almond cake or pudding. I make an exception for very dark choclate. Best with some cream and erythritol if an uber high %. I also buy some high protein ice cream from Lidl. I am thinking of making my own in the new year - eggs, cream erithritol and maybe some protein powder I still have in the cupboard.

Congrats on not gaining whilst you were back in the UK. I can see that final 2 stone melting away by summer.

Hi Ali! Thanks for your reply. A slight update is that I have found an Erythritol and Stevia mix sweetener for baking. I will try it but I have to tell you that over the years, I have used so little sweetener because i (frankly), don't like it. I want to try it in a recipe or two, but wont be too distressed if, once again, I find sweetener had a taste I really am not keen on. I like your system of making a sweet treat once a month. I love the recipes on Diet Doctor, and tonight I downloaded a book by one of the contributors to the site (Kristie Sullivan). Waay back in 2003 when I began low Carbing, my husband made me some low carb ice cream that was really good. Maybe I need to persuade him to begin making it again.

Anyway, Christmas is here (almost) and I wish you a very merry one. See you in 2022. :)

Last edited:
I must go and have a look for some new recipes of diet doctor - maybe by Kristie. Happy Christmas and a healthy 2022 to you too!

Well the score ended up being, from 1st Nov to yesterday, 5kg gain. Today I have dropped a kilo, but am not really back on track, yet.

Yup, November and December happened, eating happened, weight was gained, (quelle suprise). Weight noted, deep blush, resolve to undo the damage and move on.

Anyway, Christmas was lovely. Very much enjoyed. And now I am wondering what this new year will bring. Covid, for a start. I hope to be able to visit UK in the late summer. It's anyone's guess if THAT will happen!!! Our kitchen might be in for a rebuild. I hope not, -I cant face the upheaval. But its 14 years old and was a cheap one and it shows. And now the microwave has died. Its kind of put a train of thought in mind, but when I think of the aggro of having it done, I shudder. 7 dogs, open plan livingroom/kitchen area and tons of stuff in the cupboards that will have to go SOMEWHERE while the work happens.. AARGH!! In the words of the song "I'm reviewing, the situation...." :bolt:

So pleased you had a lovely time in the UK - and the gain will come off. Also sounds like a good plan to vamoose away from kitchen renovations - I've just been through it and it was the proverbial nightmare!

Also ditto on Ali's comments about sweet stuff. I've had to stop doing LC but when i was, I'd make things like a LC bakewell tart, etc, and then scratch my head in wonder at the subsequent gain! What a dufus I am LOL.

Yes I do agree about sweet stuff, I so rarely make it when I am sticking to Low Carb. I know me and I know if I find a recipe thats sweet, even if its Low Carb, I will overeat it, so its better not to have in the house. My ideal would be a low carb restaurant about 10 miles away......... LOL

Had booster jab Wednesday, I had been feeling stressed out (about various things), so its anyone's guess what the mega brain ache on Thursday was connected with. I still felt sicky and numb on Friday. Gone now, thankfully.

Glad you are feeling better now.

Last year I made a low carb baked cheesecake and it was lovely. Today is a friend's birthday and I decided to make it again. I couldn't find the recipe! Oh yes I could find others, I rather fancied doing the one I had originally done, once before. Anyway, I plumped for a different one. I made it last night, put it into the bain marie in the oven but water got into the cake (despite wrapping the tin in foil). *humph*. The water drained out of it. and I chilled it overnight. I know, I know, it's not exactly saying 'bon appetit' to you. BUT this morning I tried it and actually it had good taste, but not good texture. Certainly not fit for the pubic, LOL!

So today I made another one. This time I put the cake tin into another tin in the bain marie and it cooked well. It's in the fridge now and I hope it has enough time to set by tonight. Really it's not enough time, but I am winging it. I hope my Low Carbing friends like it.

I've now typed up the recipe and have it stored in Evernote......

I lost a little more weight YAY!

A follow-up to the cheesecake story..... The sweetener I used was a Stevia/Erythritol combo. So, the following day my tum was a little upset, and I had a choice, -go to Reformer Pilates, or cry off. I decided to go. No I know what you're thinking, it didn't happen, but it almost did. There I was with feet in stirrups and doing the frog movement and suddenly I realised I was in trouble and stopped and stared at my trainer legs dead straight. 😱 Thankfully I had warned her my tum was not right. Anyway after a few seconds to 'get a grip' I managed to do the whole class and we had a good laugh about it. 😊 My trainer took the photo near the end of the session.

I hate sweetener, it gives an odd aftertaste. In that second cake I used 1/3rd less sweetener and it still tasted sweet. I have only a tiny bit of the sweetener left now and I can use tiny amounts of it in recipes. Lesson learnt.

Screenshot 2022-01-18 at 11.37.27.png

Last edited:
Well, I have lost 9lbs since 4th Jan this year. I am pretty chuffed but will be going out for two set menu meals, so, I will have to sort out the damage after. Ho hum......

I am trying (as of today) adding Collagen Peptides to my diet. Hoping for healthy hair, nails and digestion......

Back