Mac & cheese - no quark or low low

pflorida

Silver Member
Hey everyone!

I'm currently in Australia where I am really struggling to find Quark (when I do it's super expensive) and there is nothing similar to low low that I've been able to find..

I do however have cottage cheese so I was hoping someone could suggest a Mac & cheese reciepe using the cottage cheese instead? Thanks in advance guys!

Hey, hope this helps
x

Mac And Cheese

Ingredients

300g dried macaroni
Low calorie cooking spray
1 red onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 roasted red pepper in brine from a jar,
finely chopped 1 courgette,
coarsely grated 400ml vegetable stock
4 tbsp tomato purée
200g low-fat natural cottage cheese
1 tsp English mustard powder mixed with 1 tsp water
2 eggs, lightly beaten
160g reduced-fat Cheddar coarsely grated - this can be your healthy extra or 6 syns if not
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Method

Preheat your over to 200°C/180°C Fan/Gas 6. Cook the macaroni according to the packet instructions, then drain well and tip into a wide mixing bowl. Meanwhile, place a large frying pan sprayed with low cooking spray over a high heat. Add the onion, garlic, red pepper and courgette, and cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes. Add to the macaroni. Put the stock, tomato purée, cottage cheese, mustard and eggs in a jug and whisk until smooth. Pour this over the macaroni mixture, then stir in three-quarters of the Cheddar. Season and toss well. Transfer to a shallow, ovenproof dish. Sprinkle over the remaining Cheddar and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until bubbling and golden. Allow to rest for 5 minutes, then serve with the salad.

Back