Maintaining a new weight.

NumNums

Becca
Hi everyone,

When reading alot of topics on MFP about body being in starvation mode, or low calorie diet of 1200 will cause you to pile it back on after. It's easy to think 'oh what's the point?'

I stayed around the same weight for about 2 years. It wasn't as much that I binged, but waiting to eat until my partner got in meant that I was often having 2 dinners and I'd skip meals so that I used to snack alot. Thinking back it never seemed huge quantities of food, but now being aware of calorie content in foods, I could probably count up 2500-3000 calories a day.

Since having James and Kalea starting Nursery, I'm on my feet alot more now, I make more of an effort around the home too. And they're my primary sources of exercises.

I appreciate that I will always now have a propensity to put on weight, so it's probably something I will always need to be overly concious of.

I still have 31lbs to go until I reach my final goal, which some days doesn't feel like alot, others it does! But the past 8 weeks have passed amazingly fast.

Researching how to maintain a healthy weight I asked my mate who is a personal trainer, he gave me this 5 point plan.

Five Step Plan

Step 1 Once you reach target, add 250 calories a day to your existing daily calorie intake. This means if you’ve been having 1,250 calories each day, you should now have 1,500 calories a day.

Step 2
After a week, weigh yourself on your usual scales. You’ll probably have lost a little more weight. If so, add another 250 calories to last week’s daily allowance. So, if you were having 1,500 calories a day, now have 1,750 calories daily.

Step 3 After a week, weigh yourself again. If you’ve lost more weight, add an extra 250 calories to your daily intake, for example from 1,750 calories to 2,000 calories each day.

Step 4 After a week, if your weight has stabilised that’s the amount of calories you need each day to keep your new slim shape. If you’ve gained a tiny amount, drop your daily calorie intake by 100 calories, for example, from 2,000 calories to 1,900 calories daily. After a week, weigh yourself again. If your weight has stayed the same, that’s the amount of calories you need each day for weight maintenance. If your weight has gone up or down, juggle your daily calorie intake by 50 calories a day until your weight eventually stabilises.

Step 5 Weigh yourself once a week on your usual scales until you are confident that you’re maintaining your healthy weight

Does anyone have any idea whether this would be a good place to start?

I'm not going to go back into my old diet because I FEEL healthier, I'm not tired in the mornings, I don't get breathless or feel sluggish. My temper and moods are all generally better.

But like everyone here, we're all hoping that eventually we'll be able to have those meals our, or take aways in on the sofa without panicking with every mouthful that we'll slip back into old ways.

That sounds great advice but unfortunately it didn't work for me.

I am still on 1200-1300 a day apart from one day a week where I eat more (rarely 1200 though).

If I eat more (even 100 calories a day) I gain and if I eat less I lose.

I do have to eat exercise calories back (on top of the above) or I will lose.

I do have to have that one higher calorie day a week (no idea what as I don't track the meal but I would say about 1700-1900) or I will lose.

I could I suppose just have a little more every day and not have the higher calorie day but then I may have to give up my takeaway/meal out of eat whatever I want and I do not want to do that.

It's really annoying for me but I have now accepted that's how my body works and my limits are tight. I have accepted that I am happy to gain or lose 3lbs from where I am now. I am 115lbs.

3 weeks ago I was 118lbs. I purposely lost a few lbs as I am coming up to a week off over Easter and I would rather lose the weight before and put it back on than gain and have to lose it afterwards.

I lost this weight by sticking to 1200 a day apart from 1 day each weekend where I upped it to 1600, not much different to my maintaining calorie goals. That's how tight my limits are to lose and gain.

I am only 115lbs though (at the moment) and 5ft tall so perhaps it's because I'm so short that it's so easy to lose and unfortunately gain.

I have decided I am happy anywhere between 112-119lbs so I can still get on with my life and not worry about small losses and gains and although I track everything still so for the most part I maintain I don't worry about gaining on a weekend away or holiday as I know it's going to happen.

If I'm honest with myself though I think I just screwed up my metabolism a bit. When I want to eat more I just exercise so it's not an issue really.

Back