Maintenance question

Lucky~Star

Ok, I may be getting a little ahead of myself here since i'm not at target yet but according to my home scales (not official til Mon WI) I only have 5lbs to go until BMI 25 and starting the maintenance.

I completely understand the importance of moving up the steps but I was hoping to stick to a largely low-carb diet when the diet has finished. Before starting CD I followed a low carb diet and although I didn't lose I found I could maintain my weight easily with it and I felt really good on it.

The maintenance steps seem very geared towards increasing carbs as well as calories so do you think I should follow the CD steps to the letter and once I have reached goal/maintained start to reduce the carbs so that I can live a low carb lifestyle or should I tweak the steps so that the calories increase but the carbs don't increase as much?

I have no interest in staying in ketosis so the carbs will not be that low but lower than those in the 1500 plan.

So what do you think is the best avenue? I don't want to ruin my hard work by not following the steps correctly but at the same time they seen slightly redundant if i'm going to reduce my carbs again once i've finished refeeding

I did it to the letter and did gain a couple of pounds overall but now eat a reasonable diet of moderate carbs = t he steps help with portion size and control xx

I would reccomend that you go up the maintenance plans and stick to it by the letter. Its part of the whole diet and its a way to help you control portion sizes and eat a variety of low carb/Low GI foods. If you ate low carb before the diet you should have no problem with the recipies and maintaining your weight after CD. But i would strongly advise that you do the other steps because its been the key to succesful weight maintenance for alot of previous CDers. You may find that you lose a few extra lbs as you work up the plans too.

I didnt work up the plans when i first did CD and i really really regret it because i gained my weight back and restarted the diet.

Good luck though and well done for getting to a healthy BMI. You have done amazingly well :) xx

Definately move up the plans, you should start to do this when you get to a stone away from target, you start on the next step from what you've lost your weight on (i.e if you have been doing SS or SS+ then you start on 810 plan, if you've been doing 810 then you start on 1000 plan) then you go up each plan 2 weeks at a time. It is really important that you do this as it kick starts your metabolism! Good luck.

Back