Make up

Shirleen

Gold Member
Hello, I need some help to save money! Help me to stop buying make up, that is no good please?

I have Roseacea (redness but no bumps), I used to use a yellow concealer from Dr Harnik, but it's no longer around.

All other redness products turn my face a grey colour! My skin is Ivory in winter and mid range in Summer (I stay out of the sun because I don't like it, or I would tan to old leather!).

So any recommendations please?

Not sure if it'll help - I went to a 'Look Good Feel Better' demo last year and the pack I was given included a No.7 Colour Calming Primer. It's a green cream (quite a nice shade as it happens!).

i was advised that I had a bit of a red complexion so using this under my normal foundation/powder should tone it down. I'd always thought my complexion was x-fair (put milk bottles to shame even in summer) so I've not really used it.

I used to use a green version of the 'Hide the Blemish' stick as a teenager - to hide those lovely red spots but that seemed to disappear off the shelves too.

Hmmm... perhaps try some concealer around the red areas? I'm not quite sure. I had really rosy cheeks as a teen, and just used really pale makeup (totally caked on, as it happens! lol) to hide it. Nowadays I still have a little redness in my cheeks but just put some bronzer on over my base to tone it down and bring it out at the same time...

It might be worth having a consultation at a large department store cosmetics counter try any products to see if they work before you buy.

It might be worth having a consultation at a large department store cosmetics counter try any products to see if they work before you buy.

I always worry about this in case I feel obliged to buy.
I'm such a wimp!

I shouldnt worry about it they are used to demonstrating products, try Clinique 1st and then work round to the others.

Ive tried different make up counters always been pleasant and not obliged. Have you tried the Bare Escentials mineral make up you can have as much coverage as you like by building it up.

Shirleen said:
Hello, I need some help to save money! Help me to stop buying make up, that is no good please?

I have Roseacea (redness but no bumps), I used to use a yellow concealer from Dr Harnik, but it's no longer around.

All other redness products turn my face a grey colour! My skin is Ivory in winter and mid range in Summer (I stay out of the sun because I don't like it, or I would tan to old leather!).

So any recommendations please?

My mum has Roseacea and has suffered with it ever since her parents died (just over 10 years now). I can't think off the top of my head what she uses but leave it with me - I'm off to see her tomorrow afternoon. I'll get back to you xx

I have sensitive red blotchy skin at times so I can relate to your frustration.

I use sheer cover make up its brilliant! Google it as they have a website, x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

clinique is a great one to go for with regards to having a makeover and advice but not buying ;) it's one of my favorite things to do i town lol.
also another great one is BareMinerals.

Ooh I see Clinique do a redness corrector in yellow!
I admit I was sort of put off Clinique when I went in once and the woman told me I have oily skin, and she was adamant even though my skin is so dry in places that it peels!
Then I realised, it was August I was 'glowing' and she couldn't tell the difference between oil and sweat!

Thanks for that link Emma, she doesn't do a corrector and I already use both liquid and mineral foundation and it's not enough. But I have bookmarked it ;)

Have you tried BB cream? I have quite a red face and the one I use (Skin79) really helps calm it down, it's not roseacea but more like having a constant embarrassed face! I bought another type of BB cream for my gran as she had laser surgery on her face a few years ago and was left with red scarring (which imo is worse than the broken veins they treated but hey) and the cream really took the redness away. This is the one I got her SKIN79 The ORIENTAL GOLD BB CREAM Tube 40g BELLOGIRL | eBay

I used this site to figure out what ones to buy Buy BB Creams Online | Which SKIN79 BB Cream is Best For Me? | Best BB Creams

I used to be such a snob about make up, only buying mac, chanel, UD etc etc, then I became a student and learned to love the budget brands! If it doesn't work you haven't broken the bank to try it, that's how I see it anyway :)

I wouldn't bother with any beauty counter stuff Shirl, it's a complete waste of time with rosacea. Invest wisely and try the Dermablend range, it was developed specifically to cover skin conditions in tv and film work and eventually was adapted for general use. It's not too heavy, I use it in work to cover tattoos, birth marks. It never leaves my kit.

I wouldn't bother with any beauty counter stuff Shirl, it's a complete waste of time with rosacea. Invest wisely and try the Dermablend range, it was developed specifically to cover skin conditions in tv and film work and eventually was adapted for general use. It's not too heavy, I use it in work to cover tattoos, birth marks. It never leaves my kit.

Thanks Jez! This would be perfect, as the Roseacea has shown through every foundation ever applied, only it turns purple under some and if I use the green stuff I go ashen lol!. I knew a bloke who used to have something like this stuff for the tattoos on his hands. It stayed on even after washing! He got his through The Red Cross, so I never realised the name. It's a very good price too!

Whilst I've got you, I've got hyper-pigmentation on my ankles and feet after I got heat rash in Spain and the spots turned my skin dark brown so my legs are now all mottled. I don't want to be putting make up on it, so would fake tan work do you think?

I used to have a touch of it too - started using propolis gel from SBC cosmetics to soothe it. Found it helped a lot. Pricey, but you use a tiny amount so it lasts ages.

Thanks Jez! This would be perfect, as the Roseacea has shown through every foundation ever applied, only it turns purple under some and if I use the green stuff I go ashen lol!. I knew a bloke who used to have something like this stuff for the tattoos on his hands. It stayed on even after washing! He got his through The Red Cross, so I never realised the name. It's a very good price too!

It is really great stuff, I used it once to cover a massive tattoo on a girls back once for a photoshoot in a swimming pool. I thought it was going to be a nightmare but no, it stayed on with only a couple of touch ups. Mind you, for what they had to pay me to cover the bleeding tattoo they could have just paid a bit more for a model with less sodding tattoos!

Whilst I've got you, I've got hyper-pigmentation on my ankles and feet after I got heat rash in Spain and the spots turned my skin dark brown so my legs are now all mottled. I don't want to be putting make up on it, so would fake tan work do you think?

I'd give false tan a go but sometimes pigmentation in the skin can have an affect on the finish. I would pay for a spray tan or at least an at-home tanning mist rather than one that you have to rub (does that make sense?) as sometimes the rubbing intensifies the colour in the pigmented bits and that's exactly what you don't want.

I should add that I'm only a makeup artist instead of an all round beautician so my advice there is personal rather than professional! My professional advice would be to use a powder foundation such as Laura Geller Balance n' Brighten but you said you don't want to put makeup on so that's pretty crap advice really, innit??

Jez you should totally start a make-up advice thread. I would PROPER badger you for tips on "how to not look like a bloke in drag when I apply make-up".

Actually, thats a self-answering question - "just dont wear any make-up". Thanks Jez!! :D

MadameLaMinx said:
Jez you should totally start a make-up advice thread. I would PROPER badger you for tips on "how to not look like a bloke in drag when I apply make-up".

Actually, thats a self-answering question - "just dont wear any make-up". Thanks Jez!! :D

I bet you don't look like a bloke in drag! It's funny, the women (and men) who tell me they can't do makeup are always the ones who look ok- it's the ones who prefer to do their own usually look like Widow T****y!!

I might consider the makeup advice thread if there is demand for it, but you all know where I am if you need anything!!

Apparently we can't say T****y on this forum???

Back