Male having 3 per day on sole source?

danielpartyuk

Hi
My counciller wants me to have 4 per day but my friend is only having 3 per day - will it make my weight loss quicker if i only have 3 per day?
Thanks

If you CD recomends 4 then you should have them they know whats best for you. Depends on a numer of things your height and start weight. You will still loose loads on 4 packs dont worry

I think the nutrients in 4 packs are more suitable for males coz they have more muscle mass and it is also to do with testosterone and all that hormone stuff which is obviously different for males and females. Males tend to lose a bit quicker. You will need your 4th shake. I cant imagine why your friend(if it is a male) is on 3 only. surely this is not his CDC telling him to do it???

Lots of people loose the same on ss+ as on ss (3 packs + meal / 4 packs and milk V's 3/4 packs on ss). If you need 4, take them, it will mean you need 4 doses of the vits etc... and your loses shouldn't be affected at all. Stick with 4 and make us on 3 jealous ;-) Good luck

Yes good luck Daniel, if anything cutting down to much will slow your weightloss hence why folks on here are urged not to skip a pack!
You do of course need all the extra nutirents.
Maybe need to tell your mate (if he is male) that CD guidleines say this is the case?

x

You need 4 whatever, men need more vitimins and minerals than women regardless of size. By only having 3 he wont be getting enough and in turn his body will cling onto whats there + may start using muscle mass. Remember more calories mean your body works harder and your metabolism works faster. From experience I lost as much on 810 as ss+.
If he's been told to do so then i'd say the cdc is breaking the law and all insurance be void and i'd seriously get him to speak to them about it, if he's doing it off his own back then just show him this thread and tell him he's taking a huge risk which wont make any difference to weightloss. :)

You need 4 whatever, men need more vitimins and minerals than women regardless of size. By only having 3 he wont be getting enough and in turn his body will cling onto whats there + may start using muscle mass.

99% right, Badger! It's just that men and women 5'8 and over need more protein specifically, rather than the vits and mins, to prevent muscle loss.

I assume from this diet and the accuracy of the packs etc, means that it has been scientifically tested, therefore, I'd stick to what the CDc says. Read below to see why the formula is potentially an exact formula which creates the right results thus adapted for height to weight/body mass ratio- male/female.

The Cambridge Diet stems from the early 1960's when Dr Alan Howard, then a research scientist at the University of Cambridge, developed an interest in overweight and obesity. He began to investigate methods of weight reduction, using himself as one of the guinea pigs.
Together with Dr Ian McLean-Baird of the West Middlesex Hospital, in 1968 he organised a National Symposium on Obesity, the first ever held in the UK. They went on to a collaborate and develop what they regarded as the’ perfect diet’. Successful trials led to the introduction of the Cambridge Diet.
With Dr McLean-Baird, Alan Howard set up a research project at the West Middlesex Hospital. What they wanted to achieve was the creation of a formula food with:
  • <LI class=paraindent>the excellent weight loss properties of starvation, but no undesirable side effects the right level of protein to protect lean tissue <LI class=paraindent>the right level of carbohydrate to promote a mild ketosis and eliminate a sense of hunger
  • the right levels of vitamins, minerals, trace elements and essential fatty acids to maintain good health.
The first formula produced excellent weight loss results, and further work by food technologists enhanced flavours and led to the first commercial version of the Cambridge Diet. The effectiveness and safety of this revised formula was tested both in hospital and with outpatients.
This study demonstrated three important factors:
  • remarkable weight loss
  • patient acceptability and
  • patient safety
and led to the Diet becoming more available in obesity clinics in London and Cambridge. Long-term safety was assessed and confirmed by further independent research in the UK, the USA and across Europe. The Cambridge Diet was launched commercially in the USA in 1980 and has been available in the UK since 1984.

Hi PennyJane: much has happened since that synopsis! For up-to-date information* look here: http://www.cambridge-diet.co.uk.

It's worth noting that the Cambridge Diet in the USA is quite different, and therefore American internet links may not apply.

PS: Perhaps Daniel's friend is female and under 5'8"?

Last edited:
99% right, Badger! It's just that men and women 5'8 and over need more protein specifically, rather than the vits and mins, to prevent muscle loss.
Haha ok thanks, my brains full of random google/forum observed info, facts and figures from teh last year, they just get a bit muddled. :D

My friend is a male, same age as me with a bit more to loose! He started on 4 per day but moved onto the one were you have 3 per day + a meal, but he only has 3 per day and no meal! He lost 7 pounds last week!

Haha ok thanks, my brains full of random google/forum observed info, facts and figures from teh last year, they just get a bit muddled. :D

Heaven knows what my brain is full of....(don't answer that!) It's a really commonly quoted un-fact.....but it's the protein that's the most important bit.

(See? Can't even think straight after today.....)

What will change, do you know?

I was reading up on this diet and from some research that was made about the contents of what was in the packs I found that this diet manages to stand on its own. This is due to the fact that it has such even levels of 'what the body needs' that it doesn't in effect go into starvation mode as opposed to any other VLCD. That answers one of my major questions and settles my mind that it is more manageable to maintain on this diet than any other.

it's the protein that's the most important bit.
Nah that makes perfect sense.
I know they encourage people doing weight training to eat loads of protein so guess that is similar in that not enough protein = muscles shrink, muscles shrink = metabolism slows = gain weight again etc.

OP
7lbs isnt unheard of though especially for men with a lot to lose, when I was over 20st I was losing 20-25lbs a month. My little brother(git) has lost over 5 stone since wait for it - Feb 12th and he has at no point gone below 810, so do the maths there. He's now 12st 6 and solid. My councilor says hes a freak :D
We are all different and can only do what we can so dont worry about how much he loses, you'll get there. :)

Back