Mama's Meals

similarly, if fresh coconut is free then that is the BEST option as it is natural...

Or I have seen in telco in the long life milk isle some coconut milk that was low in fat and calories and was wondering if that would be any good to use as I even use light coconut milk in curries ?

Ive used Kara coconut milk in stuff before. Its OK, doesnt taste all that much of coconut and it is watery, you dont need to add much. I think you might be better just using yoghurt/fat free fromage frais?Quark if you want to cream it up a bit.

Tracy831 said:
Or I have seen in telco in the long life milk isle some coconut milk that was low in fat and calories and was wondering if that would be any good to use as I even use light coconut milk in curries ?

Great idea, should work perfectly! I shop in tescos so will look out for it too.

All light coconut milk is just the full fat one mixed with water so u cld buy full fat, water it down and freeze the other half.

Sorry, I'm always looking for ways to use my freezer and save a penny! Lol

ermintrude said:
Ive used Kara coconut milk in stuff before. Its OK, doesnt taste all that much of coconut and it is watery, you dont need to add much. I think you might be better just using yoghurt/fat free fromage frais?Quark if you want to cream it up a bit.

Not tried that Kara stuff either so defo worth a try.

Am not sure about quark though... I suppose it's worth a try and would keep it syn free!!

ermintrude said:

Yeah ermintrude I did wonder about it being watery too.
And I'm always a bit hesitant to use yoghurt or quark in hot stuff !

mama_mia said:
Great idea, should work perfectly! I shop in tescos so will look out for it too.

All light coconut milk is just the full fat one mixed with water so u cld buy full fat, water it down and freeze the other half.

Sorry, I'm always looking for ways to use my freezer and save a penny! Lol

That's a good idea,thanks.
I'm always looking for ways to save money too :)

Have been asked some info about jerk so here goes...

You can get nice dry jerk seasoning that isn't as lethal as a homemade or shop bought one. Check out a local Asian/indian store or tescos (but I'm in London!).

See pic

i miss living in London :(

i miss living in London :(

Any big Tesco will have an 'ethnic' section, my mum lives in the back of beyond but they sell all sorts of stuff in her Tesco, stuff you cant get in mine in London! Or you can always order it online :)

Hey mama, about your Saturday soup. Ive got some cho cho, Ive never had it before, but have I got the right thing? Its a fruit right? Looks a bit like a green apple but with a wiggly line in? Just wondered as I thought I remembered you saying "cho cho or carrot" and they seem as different as chalk and cheese to me! :D Have I bought something totally random and nothing to do with what I was supposed to oick up? :eek: :D

Agghh my soup will be very interesting if not! :8855:

Tracy831 said:
Me too :(
Especially for the variety. Of shops !

Was meant to link it with the not living in London comment,in case you think I have posted something a bit random !!!!!

ermintrude said:
Hey mama, about your Saturday soup. Ive got some cho cho, Ive never had it before, but have I got the right thing? Its a fruit right? Looks a bit like a green apple but with a wiggly line in? Just wondered as I thought I remembered you saying "cho cho or carrot" and they seem as different as chalk and cheese to me! :D Have I bought something totally random and nothing to do with what I was supposed to oick up? :eek: :D

This made me laugh!!
You'll have to let us know how you get on ermintrude !!:)

Was meant to link it with the not living in London comment,in case you think I have posted something a bit random !!!!!

I was a bit! :D

Hi Mama! Just stumbled upon this thread and I'm loving it!! I've always wanted to get into Caribbean cooking but never really found good sources... And now I can! I will be picking your brain though, hope I don't get too annoying lol!! I can trade you Nig cooking for your Jamaican fare :D Fab job on all the amazing cooking, your daughter is gorgeous!! I have a 9 month old girl, how old is yours? Take care!

ermintrude said:

Hi ermintrude

No, what you bought was spot on. Cho cho is lovely in soup and with steamed fish. So clean tasting.
I only said carrot as another vegetable option that is more widely available.

Wow- you're really going for it aren't you!

Do me proud girl x x

Last edited:
ermintrude said:

Also, just peel and core it and cut into 8ths-ish. Should be perfect. I want some now!!!

Honeyoc said:
Hi Mama! Just stumbled upon this thread and I'm loving it!! I've always wanted to get into Caribbean cooking but never really found good sources... And now I can! I will be picking your brain though, hope I don't get too annoying lol!! I can trade you Nig cooking for your Jamaican fare :D Fab job on all the amazing cooking, your daughter is gorgeous!! I have a 9 month old girl, how old is yours? Take care!

Hey Honeyoc, the lady who is taking me to Australia!!!!

Ahh... Glad ur enjoying! I am actually of Nigerian heritage (cockney to the bone though), but rarely cook it so we can trade.

My hubby is Jamaican so, being a good wife, I have spent many years schooling myself in Jamaican cookery courtesy of his Nana. So much so that I could confidently give any Jamaican cook a run for their money!! LOL

My new goal is to be able to make such food, but healthier and I am getting there!

Mia is actually 2 now but I love the Picture so much that I'm using it as my avatar (I know...I'm in denial about how big my baby has got!) LOL

Back