Man suing the NHS for a gastric bypass .....opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
but he says a low calorie diet hasnt worked , which is all the surgery will give him , it is not a quick fix , it just reduces the amount of calories you are able to eat . If this didnt work for him then how will it work just because his stomach is smaller ?? and gastric bypass is a very dangerous , radical surgery , and living with the restrictions on your body can be very stressful for a healthy body , let alone someone with so many health problems ...

( just another thought ...)

I'm sure he's considered this, but the life he has with diabetes isn't really a life is it? Sounds as though this surgery was his last chance.

I don't know why a calorie restricted diet didn't help him to lose weight, for some people it doesn't help. The fact that he couldn't exercise would factor into it.. His body probably got used to the restriction & entered starvation mode. Without the exercise, he was bound to hit a plateau.

At the end of the day, only he knows why these things didn't work. All I'm saying is we shouldn't be so quick to judge him! Or anyone else who opts for surgery either because we don't know all of the facts. After all, you wouldn't want a weight loss forum slagging you off for your choices, would you?!

I just wondered on peoples opinions ... can we not all have our own opinions anymore and debate them in a friendly manner .. nothing to be angry about :rolleyes:

It seems not. There seems to be a lot of "rows" on her these days with differing opinions not being accepted.

Not a good place to be sometimes.

I like a good discussion and I like to read different opinions and love a good debate, but I don't like it much when people are told their opinions are wrong.

It's an opinion. It's never right or wrong.

Just my opinion of course

I think calling the NHS 'disgusting' is a bit harsh. They may not have helped you in your own personal circumstances, and that is awful.

They're not perfect by any means, but we are incredibly lucky to have them at all.

No, I find it extremely disgusting! The postcode lottery is a farce.

My brother has epilepsy & didn't receive any proper treatment until he moved to London because our NHS wouldn't fund tests.

I didn't receive proper care with my mental health problems, I am lucky to have had the support I did so I could overcome it alone.

My friend, who suffered with severe depression, was not so lucky & took her own life last year because of lack of treatment. So yes, I find it disgusting.

It seems not. There seems to be a lot of "rows" on her these days with differing opinions not being accepted.

I like a good discussion and I like to read different opinions and love a good debate, but I don't like it much when people are told their opinions are wrong.

I'm also a member of a forum for pet owners and this nothing compared to the arguments that go on there - it's unbelievable!

No one has said your opinion is wrong, just that you shouldn't be so quick to judge without proper facts first.

The way I read the article is that he has gone to appeal court to argue that the way cases are currently considered, it is only based on medical evidence. His arguement is that failure to receive the operation is negatively affecting his wife's quality of life so other factors should be taken into consideration. It is her rights that are at stake here. That's the way I read it anyway.

I'm sure he's considered this, but the life he has with diabetes isn't really a life is it? Sounds as though this surgery was his last chance.

I don't know why a calorie restricted diet didn't help him to lose weight, for some people it doesn't help. The fact that he couldn't exercise would factor into it.. His body probably got used to the restriction & entered starvation mode. Without the exercise, he was bound to hit a plateau.

At the end of the day, only he knows why these things didn't work. All I'm saying is we shouldn't be so quick to judge him! Or anyone else who opts for surgery either because we don't know all of the facts. After all, you wouldn't want a weight loss forum slagging you off for your choices, would you?!

I am not slagging anyone off !!!! although I do think suing the NHS is a little extreme , and the post code lottery , although harsh , is a reality as every NHS trust has to spend its own budget and decide what its priorities are , and more and more are at the moment prioritorising life saving treatment ....

I just dont see how even the surgery will work if the severe calories restriction didnt , as this is all surgery will do surely ?

All I'm saying is we shouldn't be so quick to judge him! Or anyone else who opts for surgery either because we don't know all of the facts. After all, you wouldn't want a weight loss forum slagging you off for your choices, would you?!

There is no judgement on my part on his decision to have weight loss surgery, if he thinks that is the only way for him to lose weight then whatever, go for it. There is always the option of going private and if he thought it was going to save his life surely you'd remortgage or something to pay for it.

Again, my issue is that he EXPECTS this surgery to be given to him just for the simple fact that he is a human being. Why should anyone expect weight loss surgery as part of their human rights?! It's shameful. That is my only judgement on this issue.

xx

Last edited:
I am not slagging anyone off !!!! although I do think suing the NHS is a little extreme , and the post code lottery , although harsh , is a reality as every NHS trust has to spend its own budget and decide what its priorities are , and more and more are at the moment prioritorising life saving treatment ....

I just dont see how even the surgery will work if the severe calories restriction didnt , as this is all surgery will do surely ?

He's not actually suing them though, that makes it sound worse than it is.. He's appealing against their decision.

I honestly don't know what to tell you with regards to the calorie restriction, I'm not a nutritionist. I've given you a theory but that's about all I can suggest.

People have slagged him off though, this is a thread of people who are mostly against surgery & willing to state their opinions - which is fine.. Except I wouldn't want to stumble across this if I was him! Especially as we don't know the ins & outs. It's just not fair.

Especially as we don't know the ins & outs. It's just not fair.

Yes, but what else is not fair, is that whilst the NHS are having to pay some lawyer/solicitor to sort out this issue, their already dwindling funds are being used somewhere that isn't really necessary, and somebody else is missing out on help or treatment that THEY need.

Yes, but what else is not fair, is that whilst the NHS are having to pay some lawyer/solicitor to sort out this issue, their already dwindling funds are being used somewhere that isn't really necessary, and somebody else is missing out on help or treatment that THEY need.

I can't like this enough without commenting. LIKE. LIKE. LIKE. Etc...

xx

So what, they should just leave this man to die?

Maybe if his local NHS followed the standard of BMI of 40 or over, they wouldn't have this problem in the first place! This man has been told he probably won't live longer than another year as a direct result of his weight & diabetes, they should be trying to help him!

Unfortunately, when budgets are going to be cut, there is always going to be someone who suffers, as each PCT will priortise what they feel is important.

They're not easy decisions to make, my friend has to make them, as a General Manager for the NHS, and I know she has cried herself to sleep numerous times knowing that the decisions she makes, will have an impact on somebody else's health and their life.

We don't know why this PCT has made the decision to have the threshold at 50 rather than 40, but they wouldn't have done it just to spite someone.

So what, they should just leave this man to die?

Maybe if his local NHS followed the standard of BMI of 40 or over, they wouldn't have this problem in the first place! This man has been told he probably won't live longer than another year as a direct result of his weight & diabetes, they should be trying to help him!
they should be finding anoher way to help him , in my opinion . I think they should make cbt and hypnotherapy more accessible , maybe not free on the NHS but certainly affordable , as i think this would work far better than surgery for lots of people , the hypno gastric band has found to be very effective and costs £250 ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back