ProPoints mardybum's diary

mardybum

:wavey: Hello, welcome to my self indulgent diary! :sign0144:

About me:
I am 25 years old. I'm single and I have a daughter who is 8 years old. I work as midwife in the North East of England. I'm a bit of a foodie, I have shelves of recipe books and love to cook and eat! However I'm also a bit of an emotional eater and tend to over-indulge in bad choices as a way of :airquote: treating:airquote: myself. However I'm now of the mindset that the best thing I can for myself is to lose weight, I will feel better about my appearance and more confident. Also it is my birthday in December, I'll be closer to 30 than 20 then and I need to get my weight under control now. I would like at least the option of having another baby one day, I have a lot of PCOS symptoms and worry that being overweight is most likely affecting my fertility; and if I do I don't want to be categorised as 'high risk' because I'm overweight!

I'm hoping my food diary will be quite varied, I like to try out new recipes and at the minute I'm enjoying planning and adapting meals to fit in with weightwatchers propoints plan, although its important to me that meals are still tasty so I will probably use points where some people wouldn't. My daughter has a way more varied diet than I did at her age, but is still a child and would happily eat fishfingers and mashed potato for most meals! So some of our meals are also adapted to her tastes, although she regularly tries new things, and probably just as regularly doesn't like them, but I remind her she has to try something at least 10 times before she can decide if she really likes it or not! :eating:

Weightloss and goals:
I've been officially following the plan for just over a week, although I did have a few days before that where I made an effort to eat well.

8/11/11 weight 15st 2lbs
11/11/11 weight 15st 0.5lb
18/11/11 weight 14st 10.75lb

I'm hoping :cross: to get down to 14st 7lb this week, and my mini goal is to get under 14st by Christmas. :xmascheers:

I've set my goal weight at 12st 5lb for now, even though I would still have a BMI of 26 (so overweight) at this weight. I've chosen it because this is around what I weighed when I got pregnant with my daughter, I was a comfortable size 12, and this is probably the time when I felt most confident (although I was also 16, had just left school and had started working in a bar, so probably some of that was the confidence of youth combined with male attention!). I might end up lowering it to aim for a healthy BMI when I get a bit closer.

I have never really exercised and I don't see myself joining a gym any time soon, however I would like to improve my fitness, I have a couple of exercise dvds which I enjoy and have started to walk more over the past couple of weeks.

The food:
So far today I've eaten a bowl of porridge made with skimmed milk and mixed spice and brown sugar sprinkled on top. 6pp in total although I didn't manage to eat it all so I'm counting it as 5pp. I'm currently trying my best to like porridge! I know it is good for me, its filling, and that I should really make an effort to have breakfast every day, but I still don't enjoy it much! :yuk:

I've also had an apple.

I'm going to have leftovers from last night for my lunch, chicken and bean stew 11pp.

Tea will be Warburton's square tortilla pizzas, my first time! Not quite decided what I'm going to have on it yet.

I have a propoints allowance of 34 a day at the minute. To be honest I struggle to use them all eating 3 healthy a meals a day with fruit as snacks/dessert.

I used some of my weekly allowance last week when I had a moment of weakness with some chocolate biscuits, :sign0007: I don't think I will use any this week but at least they're there to fall back on if any more chocolate incidents occur!

Hey Mardybum,

Welcome! :wavey: :welcome2:

Wow, well you and me have same goal for xmas-11 lbs or so, so hopefully we can help each other through. :winter_brr:

Also, i feel the exact same way about porridge. really wish i liked it. Am moving house next week-bought my own place so everything is boxed so once i find the porridge i will try it again aswel. I like the mixed spice in it idea! :eat:

No harm settin yourself a realistic goal-12st 5 and you can readjust when u get to that.. if you want! I find when the goals are within reach you can stick to it easier!

I've tried this on an off aswel but am as so determined to do it this time and i find it this forum sooooo helpful!
So pop on whenever, to share your yummy food ideas or ask for help or just to say hi!

Also... enjoy the wrap pizzas-theyre sooo yummy and versatile and im sure your daughter will love them! :)

Talk soon. :)

Thankyou for the welcome Bróna. :thankyou: Do you think you will acheive your goal of 11lbs by Christmas? I think it is realistic if we stick to it! I am feeling very determined

I'm glad someone agrees with me on the porridge! My Mam loves it, I keep thinking I must be doing something wrong, it smelt lovely with the mixed spice this morning but its just the texture I think. I've got a box of 10 sachets of oats and I'm determined to make my way through them and try to like it more. :giggle:

Lunch: Chicken and bean stew
onion, garlic, fresh chilli, paprika, tomato puree, tinned chopped tomatoes, chicken thighs, haricot beans 135g 11pp.

Snack: Curly Wurly 3pp

Tea: Warburtons square pizza
Square tortilla, homemade tomato sauce, low fat mozzarella 40g, cooked sliced chicken breast 35g, mushrooms, pesto 20g 9pp + 3pp another Curly Wurly for desert!

Total: 31pp

Fruit and veg: 4/5
I would have had more fruit for supper but don't have any in, I'm going to the market tomorrow.

Have really had to resist the temptation to weigh myself tonight, I didn't have this problem last week as my friend had borrowed my scales, but I have a bad habit of becoming a bit obsessive about weighing myself and I'm trying not to do it this time as I know it influences what I eat. I just want to stick to the plan and weigh myself weekly (online member).

Last edited:
Good morning. Well after spending a good five minutes examining myself in the mirror this morning (vain much!?) I am convinced I haven't lost anymore weight since Friday, in fact apart from my bum being a little smaller I look as fat as ever! However I have resisted the call of the scales again, :devilangel: I know if I was to weigh and not like what I see it would go one of two ways; 1. I would think sod it and completely binge or 2. I would reduce my food intake to an unhealthy and unsustainable level. So instead I had breakfast early (I don't usually eat before I take my daughter to school) and now I'm going to do an exercise dvd.

Later on I'm going to the market with my friend for some fruit and veg.

I am determined to stick 100% to plan until Christmas Eve.

Ah I think we can do it alrite. It's my TOTM this week so hav myself psyched up to know I mite weigh heavier than I deserve on Thursday but if so, I'm gona ignore it, keep goin til nxt week and see. I like Havin a mini goal set-just to try and get myself to stick to it now...

Goin home To my parents for few days so mite try porridge down there as my mam eats it aswel and it one of the many that swear by it!

I weighed myself nearly ever day the first week but I aswel had to stop myself from Doin it. Ur better off not and keeping urself busy. It will be worth it come WI day....
It is so likely to cause negative thoughts it will def hinder u. And our bodies show weight loss in so many different ways don't worry bout what u see in the mirror!! :)

Chin up and keep plowing on... :)

Thanks for the encouraging words. Love the quotes in your signature marthamydear!

Meals today :eating:

Breakfast: frosted wheats with skimmed milk 6pp

Dinner: Turkey salad sandwich 7pp and a banana

Tea: Roast chicken and veggies 16pp

Tea was so yummy but I will try and make it lower points if I have it again. It was onion, fresh thyme, sweet potato, butternut squash, and chicken thighs in a deep tin, then chicken stock (with chopped garlic and and chilli added) poured over to cover the bottom of the tin. This was cooked for about an hour, initially at gas mark 5 but then the heat turned right up for the last 10-15mins to colour the veg. A little bit of low fat creme fraiche stirred through the juices to make a sauce/gravy, and we had steamed broccoli with it.

Next time I could use breast instead of thighs (and hope it didn't dry out) and maybe miss out the sweet potato, even though I love it, and just use 0pp veg, some carrots and parsnips maybe.

Total so far: 29pp

Fruit and veg: 6/5

I've just put some figs in the oven with a little bit of brown sugar sprinkled on and I'm going to have them with vanilla yoghurt for dessert 4pp.

2 days till weigh in! :cross:

Last edited:
I was really hungry last night so had a Warburtons square wrap with tomato sauce, 25g light mozzarella and 1tbsp extra light philadelphia 6pp

So the total for yesterday was 34pp + 4pp from my weeklies.

I've just been to Sainsbury's to get some bacon medallions fo lunch and I stupidly bought a pack of cranberry and white chocolate crispy bites. :doh: I've just calculated the pp, the whole pack (12 small squares) is 27pp or 2pp per individual square. I considered just binning them, however I've only used 4/49 weekly pps, so I'm just going to put them in the cupboard and might have a couple later. They do look yummy!

I also bought some bagels and crispy type snacks to take to work on Thursday and Friday nights.

Not had any breakfast this morning, just a banana, I'm planning a big lunch though.

I've been so bad today :break_diet: I've ate 18/49 weekly pp and around 30pp in total on crap food! I'm so disappointed in myself, I had been doing really well with just eating good, nutritious food.

I already didn't feel like I'd have much of a loss this week as well :sigh:

Breakfast: banana 0pp

Lunch: sausages, bacon medallions, mushrooms, beans and toast 13pp
Sainsbury's be good to yourself Cumberland sausages are really nice, and only 2pp each

Afternoon: binge!

Tea: Warburton's square pizza 7pp tangerine x2

Total 34pp + 18pp from weeklies

Fruit and veg 3/5

Lesson learnt - DO NOT have cake/chocolate/crispy snacks in the house, as I clearly have next to no self control!!

So night shift tonight, I've decided that everything I eat between now and going to bed tomorrow morning is going to be counted in todays points, and then from getting up tomorrow tea-time to going to bed on Saturday morning will be Friday's points. Then Saturday's points will start when I get up at lunchtime. :confused: Don't know if that's the right way to go about it or not!

I'm not expecting to see a loss on the scales this week at all, but I'm just telling myself it doesn't matter which week it shows on the scales as long as it does - and it will if I stick to plan!

i know night shifts can be hard. i used to do them up until recently but ya thats the way id count them aswel...
Best of luck. :)

Omg I've had a horrible day :cry: Went to take my daughter to school this morning to find that overnight someone had scratched all of my car and punctured the tyres :mad: I'm really upset.

So have spent most of my day on the phone and trying to work out what's the best thing to wrt insurance etc.

Food diary so far:

Breakfast: cereal 6pp

Afternoon: 2x bagels and extra light philadelphia 13pp (not what I had planned!)

Total so far 19pp

I suppose if I'm to look on the positive side (which is quite difficult when this is going to cost me at least £250 (which is really a lot of money for me, on top of the £170 it cost last week to get through the MOT), I've not slept before my nightshift and things like this happening make me feel lonely!), having no car meant 40 minutes of walking this morning, to and from school, and just about to head out again for the same again + a bit extra. Good exercise! And my coat feels slightly looser.

:sigh:

When I am slim I think I need to find me a nice rich doctor to look after me! :giggle:

So some lovely men are looking after my poor little car - they even gave me a lift to work last night, how kind! And I've got a nice new C1 to drive for a few days, which is some sort of weird coincidence as I had been looking at getting one but wasn't sure about the engine size, I think the universe in conspiring to tell me something!

Anyway, the weight/food stuff.

Yesterdays food diary

Cereal 6pp, 3xbagels and philadelphia 22pp, 2 bananas, 2 tangerines, a hobnob cream biscuit 2pp and a few doritos 3pp

Total: 33pp

I weighed when I got in from work this morning and I was 10st 10.5lb, but then I weighed again when I got up this afternoon and I was 10st 8.5lb :D Not really sure what my true loss, guess I'll see next Friday, but there's definitely a loss there, whether its 0.5lb or 2.5lb, so I'm pleased. Will still have to work hard to reach my Christmas goal though!

I'm going to pop to Asda for a ready meal before work, I don't usually eat them but I was a bit jealous of everyone's hot food at work last night. I'm looking at the pps on ww track and I'm going to take a list of low value ones with me!

Food diary from Friday:

Tea: Sausages and mushrooms in creamy mustard sauce with boiled rice 15pp
This was very tasty and filling. Although I think I've eaten more sausages since strting ww than ever before!

Middle of the night: Snack-a-jacks 3pp, banana, pasta ready meal 10pp, curly wurly 3pp
I did have more food with me but I didn't have time to eat it!

Total: 31pp

Fruit and veg: 2/5 not so good!

Food diary from yesterday:

I slept untill about 1pm, when I was on my way to my friend's I have a curly wurly 3pp and banana

Then we went out for tea and I ate LOADS of Chinese food, going to attempt to point it

6 prawn crackers 3pp
Starter platter: spare rib in sauce 3pp, mini veggie spring roll 2pp, prawn wanton 2pp, sesame prawn toast 3pp, satay chicken skewer 2pp, crispy seaweed 1pp
Main: chicken 7pp (to be safe) in honey and sweet chilli sauce 3pp with egg fried rice 8pp
2x soft drinks 4pp
Mmmm was delicious and I was stuffed, in fact we finished eating at around 8pm and I'm still not hungry yet!

Total: 41pp
7/49 weekly pp used

Fruit and veg: 2/5 again!

So back to a normal-ish eating pattern today, although I'm back on nights tomorrow and Tuesday!

No breakfast

Lunch: Warburton's thin with philadelphia 4pp, banana, curly wurly 3pp

Mid afternoon: small piece of mam's homemade lemon drizzle cake ?6pp

Tea: fishcakes 9pp, mashed potato made with philadelphia 6pp and broccoli

Total so far: 28pp so I have 6 left for this evening, I may have an areo mousse for 3pp, although I've been buying these for my daughter for ages and so far haven't tasted them, if I do and like them then I might have to stop buying them!

I'm going to plan my meals for the rest of the week tonight and go food shopping tomorrow.

Morning, I haven't had time to come on here for the past couple of days. I ate loads on my nightshifts this week! As a consequence I have only 6 weekly propoints left!

Today I am going shopping with my Auntie for birthday and Christmas presents for me, my Dad works abroad and has given her some money, he's also said he'll pay for lunch :eek: so I'll have to study the menu closely! Fruit for breakfast today, and possibly 0 point soup for tea depending on how much I eat for lunch!

I'm not hopeful for a loss on the scales this week, but I can definitely see in the mirror that I've lost weight now :D

I think 3 full week is the longest I've ever properly stuck to a diet so I'm quite impressed with myself! Although propoints does make it so easy. I think it the past with all of the stuff I'd eaten at work I'd have thought that meant I wasn't following the diet anymore, but actually working out the propoints and seeing I haven't gone over my weeklies has motivated me to keep going!

14st 7lb this morning :D Very happy with that, 1.5lb loss and I definitely haven't been on a diet this week!

The scales briefly flashed to 14st 6, and I think if it hadn't been for the massive meal I had at Frankie and Benny's last night I might have had a 6 in my weight, but I'm not bothered, because I will by next week!

Well done on loss and glad ur happy, thinking that pro points works for u. It makes it alot easier when u feel happy bout what ur eating. :)
Good luck this week. :)

Thanks Brona! Well done on your recent losses!

I'm still tracking and sticking to the plan, just been very busy so not been on here for a while. My Friday weigh in just gone I was 14st 4.5lb :) I was 14st 4lb on the Thursday morning, but Thursday was a cake filled day, made some gingerbread for my Mam for her birthday, and of course had to test rather large piece to check it was okay (was yummy!) and then we went out for afternoon tea.

I'm hoping to be down to 14st 2lb this week, then that'll mean I need to lose 2.25lb to meet my target for Christmas!

Food diary for today so far

Breakfast:
Toast with jam 7pp
Advent calendar chocolate 1pp
Clementine 0pp

Just about to have a square wrap with chicken tikka and salad for lunch 8pp.

Not sure about tea, my daughter has requested fish in batter and mashed potato, not exactly weightwatchers friendly! Although I will have 18pps left so I suppose it is an option.

Hmm I'm not doing too well with this food diary am I! To be honest I've been so busy I'm not doing very well with tracking either, just sticking to foods I know are low propoints.

Weigh in on Friday and I was 14st 2.5lb :D I'm still really happy with how it is going and a few people are commenting on my weightloss now. My old community mentor came into the unit at the weekend and I noticed her look me up and down as we said hello and then a little while later when we were chatting she asked if I had been losing weight and said how well I looked! :D Made my day!

I can certainly notice and feel the difference myself, but unlike in the past feeling a bit better about myself isn't making me become complacent, its making me more determined! I just keep thinking about how good I'll feel when I lose another stone, and then another (I've already mentally adjusted my goal weight to 12st rather than 12st 5lb).

I feel just a little bit anxious about Christmas though!

Back