Mary berry Syn values

speccy4eyes

Silver Member
I can't be the only one collecting these recipe cards can I?

I do baking with my daughter regularly and We made these last week.
Spice cupcakes
I've found the NVs..........can anyone tell me the syn value before I tuck into one

per cake
Calories 395 Sodium 0 mg
Total Fat 14 g Potassium 0 mg
Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 61 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 1 g
Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 0 g
Trans 0 g Protein 4 g
Cholesterol 0 mg

and this is next on our list

crunchy top lemon cake

per slice
Calories 210 Sodium 0 mg
Total Fat 0 g Potassium 0 mg
Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 0 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 0 g
Trans 0 g Protein 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg

thanks

any idea of the weight of the cake?

and are the calories kJ's and not Kcal?

unfortunately no......recipe doesn't give it

just got ingredients

1½ large eggs
87.5g (3 oz) self-raising flour
87.5g (3 oz)caster sugar
87.5g (3 oz) softened butter
3/4 level tsp baking powder
Finely grated zest of ½ lemon

For the crunchy lemon icing:

50g (2 oz) granulated sugar
Juice of ½ lemon

Well i just kept putting different weights in and it seems to be staying at the same syn value, 4.5 syns (if the calories you gave are Kj...if they are Kcal then your looking at 20 :p)

god i hope its 4.5 n not 20 lol

they look so moreish

The lemon ones are coming up at 2.5 but i think thats wrong, going by the ingredients.

ooooo please be right please be right............mmmmmmmmmmmm

Just work out the syns for the individual ingredients, add them up and divide it by the number of cakes/slices instead of trying to put it through the syn calculator.

I'd say the lemon one look more like 4/4.5 syns. Work it out like we did the other homemade cakes, work out how much the syned ingredients are (flour, sugar (granulated is same value as caster I think), butter and baking powder (0.5 syns a tbsp)) and divide by however many you have, that should tell you if 2.5 is right :)

i think I made it 5.5 without the icing (based on 12 slices in the cake)

That sounds more like it. I'd work out the other cake the same just to be sure. If SW website got that one wrong it might have got that one wrong too.

ok.....I'm writing this all down.....you should see my recipe book now lol

does anyone know the syn values for the following ingredients (that way i can work stuff out in the future)

whole milk
cocoa powder (do they make a reduced fat one ?)
double cream
cinnamon
muscovado sugar
black treacle
mixed spice
ginger
icing sugar
sultanas
currants
zests of oranges n lemons
brown sugar
wholemeal flour
buttermilk

then i can eat anything my daughter makes and make a little girl very happy

I can't be the only one collecting these recipe cards can I?

I do baking with my daughter regularly and We made these last week.
Spice cupcakes
I've found the NVs..........can anyone tell me the syn value before I tuck into one

per cake
Calories 395 Sodium 0 mg
Total Fat 14 g Potassium 0 mg
Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 61 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 1 g
Trans 0 g Protein 4 g
Cholesterol 0 mg

It's a cake, so it doesn't qualify for any free allowance, so if you know each cake is 395 calories then its 1 syn per 20 calories - 395/20 = 20 syns.

Similarly the lemon one at 210kcal is 210/20 = 10.5 syns :)

When you dont know the calories (like on your other cake recipe post) you need to add up the syns for each ingredient, but in this instance you are already told the calories so you just need to divide by 20 :)

ok.....I'm writing this all down.....you should see my recipe book now lol

does anyone know the syn values for the following ingredients (that way i can work stuff out in the future)

whole milk
cocoa powder (do they make a reduced fat one ?)
double cream
cinnamon
muscovado sugar
black treacle
mixed spice
ginger
icing sugar
sultanas
currants
zests of oranges n lemons
brown sugar
wholemeal flour
buttermilk

then i can eat anything my daughter makes and make a little girl very happy

The easiest way to do it in the future is the 1 syn per 20 calories rule - none of this food is free except the orange zest and spices (ginger, mixed spice, cinnamon) - so you can always work it out from the nutritional info on the packet - work out how many calories in however much you're using and divide by 20.

Id also suggest you invest in a syns book or just a plain old Food optimising book off ebay if you can afford it and you dont already have one - it'll make your life a lot easier :)

Here's the others:

whole milk = 3.5 per 100ml
cocoa powder = 4 per 25g
double cream = 25 per 100ml
all sugar = 5 per 25g
treacle = 2 per level tablespoon
sultanas/currants = 3.5 per 25g
wholemeal flour = 4 per 25g
buttermilk = 2 per 100ml

:)

I have a food directory on the way ...........which I assumed was the syns book.......but its 'on the way' lol........so all I have to hand is a low syns snack book and a free branded book which doesn't help with these sorts of questions

but lovely ladies that you are have helped immensely............I've got all this written down now, so next time we bake, I'll be well sorted and able to indulge sensibly without upsetting any potential weightloss.

Most of the time I make my own cakes so I guess I'll be using the second method more than the first, though I find that method works wonders when I'm in the Sweetie aisle of asdas and think about norty treats..........Check the syns..............move to the fruit aisle lol

Thank you

Back