May money challenge

Lucylu79

Gold Member
Would anyone be up for this?

I've just paid my next bill, my shopping credit card bill and I get paid on tues.... There's not much left and I've still got 2 days to wait!

I need to stop spending on the card and then get the shock at statement time so I thought even doing a cash month?

Anyone do anything or has any tips please share! I'm rubbish at planning meals, I always change my mind but just 1 month I'd like to stay in budget and not have to dip into savings!!!

Would anyone be up for this?

I've just paid my next bill, my shopping credit card bill and I get paid on tues.... There's not much left and I've still got 2 days to wait!

I need to stop spending on the card and then get the shock at statement time so I thought even doing a cash month?

Anyone do anything or has any tips please share! I'm rubbish at planning meals, I always change my mind but just 1 month I'd like to stay in budget and not have to dip into savings!!!

I do everything cash now I learnt hard way. I put my fiver wi fee in my new clothes tub so when I get to target I have guilt free shopping as it'll all be paid for and affordable. Plus everytime I think I'd of gone for lunch or ordered a take out I put that ten/15 in my tub.

Then I shop for my list but whenever I think I need to go shopping I pull everything out my freezer n cupboards n I usually can make another 5-7 days meals and then only need to buy milk and fresh salad/veg. It takes up time I'm afraid but my purse is fuller and my weights going down so its worth it.

This is a great thread. I know this week when I get back from Mexico I have a few things to pay for like the Cattery fees, food shop, monthly parking and SW etc but id like to start saving some money too xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I'm up for this. My outgoings are huge ATM with uni fees and car tax etc. but I must waste at least £100 a month on food and junk that I don't need. It's usually on the way home from work when I drive past a shop or something. I would really like to start saving up and in a couple of years have enough for a deposit on a house.

Pay day tomorrow. Looks like the perfect time to add up what I have left and limit myself

I'm up for this. My outgoings are huge ATM with uni fees and car tax etc. but I must waste at least £100 a month on food and junk that I don't need. It's usually on the way home from work when I drive past a shop or something. I would really like to start saving up and in a couple of years have enough for a deposit on a house.

I've saved a fortune I still could improve but not buying take aways, meals out lunches out, coffees after swimming.

I still go but not every week now. I prefer my own cooking then I know exactly how it's cooked and syns etc

from fat to skinny jeans only 50lbs to go

Definately up for this :)

Although mine is weekly as i pay all bills etc on payday and then i divide whatever is left by 8 (example - £400 left = £50 a week each for me and hubby to spend on whatever we want, be it coffee, mags, grub, whatever)

So this week i have £28.60 left in my purse, but i need Mr T later so hope he doesn't pinch it all :) xx

I am so bad at spending what I dont have! I live in my overdraft and also make good use of my credit cards! I really want to start saving some money because me and my bf want to get engaged this year and lord knows we will need the money for when we eventually get married.

I want a plan to start paying off all my bills and actually having some money to spend on myself that wont get me into debt or make me feel guilty. The thing I spend most of my money on at the moment is food. I have food in at home but walk past a tesco express and sainburys every day on my way home and get tempted to 'pick things up' for dinners. So I guess the first thing to do is to plan my meals better! I also tend to do a big monthly shop but always top it up week to week. So I am going to start doing a weekly shop I think.

I like the idea of a cash month but not sure i can stick to it this month as i am on holiday for a week (in the UK so not too pricey). But I will definately try and start making this a habit.

What I want to do is work out how much i get paid and deduct all of my bills. Then divide this up by how many weeks are in the month and use that as a starting point like pixie does (hi pixie - long time no see!! :)) So....payday tomorrow and I am going to start as I mean to go on!

Great idea for a thread - very motivating!!

I am so bad at spending what I dont have! I live in my overdraft and also make good use of my credit cards! I really want to start saving some money because me and my bf want to get engaged this year and lord knows we will need the money for when we eventually get married.

I want a plan to start paying off all my bills and actually having some money to spend on myself that wont get me into debt or make me feel guilty. The thing I spend most of my money on at the moment is food. I have food in at home but walk past a tesco express and sainburys every day on my way home and get tempted to 'pick things up' for dinners. So I guess the first thing to do is to plan my meals better! I also tend to do a big monthly shop but always top it up week to week. So I am going to start doing a weekly shop I think.

I like the idea of a cash month but not sure i can stick to it this month as i am on holiday for a week (in the UK so not too pricey). But I will definately try and start making this a habit.

What I want to do is work out how much i get paid and deduct all of my bills. Then divide this up by how many weeks are in the month and use that as a starting point like pixie does (hi pixie - long time no see!! :)) So....payday tomorrow and I am going to start as I mean to go on!

Great idea for a thread - very motivating!!

Hello lovely! :wavey:

I don't know if you get paid a base rate or if you have access to overtime etc (set amount or fluctuates)
What i do is make a list of all bills (and include everything, petrol, prescriptions, shopping, things that you do every month without fail) and add it all up. Does that come to less than your lowest pay? If so then take whatever the excess is, and put it into another account (this is made a lot easier if you have online banking as it's easy to just switch it back once a week) and transfer a set amount every week and take it out.
You certainly notice it more when you have to use cash than when you have to just swipe a card in my experience lol

Ex - Net pay - £2000
ALL bills - £1500
Balance - £500

Now you could either have £125 a week, or you could do maybe £75 and put the other £50 into a savings account or somewhere where you don't have access to it.

Wow...that was a bit of an essay lol, hope it made sense and maybe helps a little :D xx

Usually I get paid a standard wage every month but I have the opportunity for overtime this month and the next few months which I am hoping to save or pay of some of my credit card.

My bills all come out early in the month so they are all paid - its only overdraft and credit cards that are 'debts' as such. So these are what I need to work on. Overdraft is the priority as the credit card is interest free for 14 months.

I will sit down and look at this tonight ahead of my pay going in :)

Good luck Hun, you can do it! It's amazing how saving for something we actually WANT can inspire us much more than say paying a debt. Congrats on the soon to be engagement hehe :)

I like the idea of having weekly pocket money and not going over that pocket money allowance. I remember reading it in the no spend days thread.
I need to learn not to keep going grocery shopping when we already have loads in lol.
I start my new job on weds and I will be working in the city centre so I've got to be really strong and try to avoid going in all the shops lol xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Wow, thanks for all the replies!

I get paid monthly so I've deducted all the household bills and worked out what I've got left per week, my challenge will be to try to underspend each week, even be just a fiver!

My budget starts weds, I will be posting!! X

Overdrafts are deadly aren't they! :( I really need to stop wasting money. I'm doing a new thing since last month where I opened a separate bank account and each pay day I'm transferring over a set amount- that's the amount of money I have for the month. If there's nothing left in there then tough lol! All my bills etc are still coming from my main Lloyds account and I use it to pay CC, transfer into savings etc but all other spends come out of my "pocket money" in the Natwest account xx

Back