Medical Supervision or Go It Alone?

Oinkstop

Hi All,

As I think most everyone knows, I'm doing the USA version of Cambridge. They recommend that you don't use their version of Sole Source (called Fast Start) for more than two weeks unless you are under medical supervision. I'm not sure why this is, because the formulations between the USA and UK versions of the product are similar, and in fact the US version has slightly more fat, protein, carbs and calories than the UK version.

I recently wrote to the Cambridge USA folks and they sent me a list of what they recommend in terms of medical supervision. They recommend the following tests:

• Complete Blood Count (CBC)
  • Blood Lipid Profile
  • Serum Sodium
  • Serum Potassium
  • Creatinine
  • Uric Acid
  • SGOT
  • Serum T4 (only if clinical hypothyroidism is suspected)
  • Urinalysis for proteinuria
  • Pregnancy Tests
  • Electrocardiogram
Now, here in the USA we don't have socialized medicine, so I'm going to have to pay for these tests myself, and I know they are quite expensive! Although I do have health insurance that will cover a portion, the part I'll have to pay for will put a sizeable dent in my budget!

Worse, I won't know what any of these tests will cost me out of pocket until after I've already incurred them. I know it sounds crazy that you would buy something without finding the cost until after you bought it, but that's the way the insane US health care system works!

Anyway, the costs of medical supervision are starting to scare me off, so I'm wondering, should I go to the expense of all of these tests, or should I just go it alone and hope for the best?

Wow.

Can't you get your regular.... home doc to check your heart rate and blood pressure 1x a month or so?? Instead of doing all those??

x

I think that the long list of medical tests is a little excessive, but I also don't want to do something stupid and ruin my health! Has anyone been required by their doctor to undergo a lot of tests before starting CD?

Back