Meetings - The good, The bad and The ugly?

chomp

I am not a meeting person but I am determined to give Slimming World a fighting chance as I want it to be successful. I'm pretty introverted and don't like large social gatherings with people I'm don't know - I'm not shy by any means, I'm usually directs and bit outspoken but I get on well with people, but find complex social situations with more than a few people EXHAUSTING.

My Fiance and I attended our first meeting last night, having to go to the later of two meetings last night due to OH's train not getting back from work on time to make the new starter meeting early doors but next week and thereafter, we're going to the first meeting as my sister, her OH and usually her two children (for clapping or booing at the weigh ins - apparently thats the best motivation my sister can have for losing the lbs!) go to that meeting and a family that eats together loses weight together. That's the theory we are testing.

My sister already has a 'nemesis' I want to check out. I don't really subscribe to the crazy politics needed to navigate being part of most groups of women but it's fun to watch from the sidelines. Hope it doesn't end up like my mother getting kicked out of the WI about 3 weeks after joining. I never did get the full story, I assume her baking and tea making skills weren't up to par. I imagine it's like a mash up of Great British Bake Off and the 1990's show gladiators, but without safety helmets.

Personally the meeting I attended made me cringe about once per 5 minutes - I've attended worse meetings. The leader wasn't overally patronising and there seemed some genuinely lovely people, including 6 men which surpised me. There was clearly a bit of a 'Mean Girls' thing going on with a few of the members which made me roll my eyes and laugh at the same time. Not sure how much weight they've lost or how many 'plebs' they've kicked to the kerb to have them believe they are in the upper echelons of wthe dieting community, but whatever gets them through the week, hey?

So (at last) I reach my question / talking point - What are your best and worst experinces of group / Image therapy? Have you ever had a group nemesis? Or made a BFF there? Are there any SW Romances out there from meeting at group?

:D

Last edited:
Oh this did make me giggle!

Personally I love group, I am new to my area and it's been great seeing the same friendly faces each week. I have a SW friend who I occasionally meet for coffee and text for support/checkins and have been adopted by the two eldest members of the group.

We generally have a good banter as a group and new members are reminder that despite appearances it's not an AA meeting.....

And btw way loving the family diet idea and the booing children!

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins.com

Made me laugh too Chomp, I love watching people and the factions I have seen in many SW groups are to say the least quite entertaining. Splitting people into categories and certainly seeing a lot of eyes turning green with half curled lips etc during image therapy, too funny for words. I see so many people when visiting other groups as I work all over the country hence being involved in so many different groups, yes I see romance, lust, envy, lots of greed & gluttony, makes my regular group seem heavenly .....takes all sorts really lol

I am at uni so I attend 2 groups. My uni group is lovely, but its big, which means we don't get as much time to chat about things as some other groups, usually theres about 40 people that stay for group, sometimes more. It also means getting slimmer of the week/month is pretty tough! However most of the people there are lovely. I think we have like 1 or 2 that look down their nose at others but overall they are very genuine and lovely people who will do their best to help you.
Over easter I was home for 3 weeks so looked for another group, the first one I went to was the same day as my uni one but 2 hours later and I just couldn't wait until 9pm to eat my dinner so couldn't stay. In the 10 minutes I was there tho all I heard was *****ing about the group, others in the group and the consultant. I never went back to that one.
I now drive twice as far to a group that is on the same day as my uni group and at the same time! Its a lovely little group of about 15 people and the consultant was so friendly and encouraging. The group as a whole seemed nice, I only stayed once as the first time I went I couldn't stay. There were maybe 2 people who seemed a bit like they thought they were better than the rest but the others seemed nice enough. I couldn't go to a group where there was a large group that looked down their nose at you!
PS Good luck!!!!

One thing I will say about the Leader of my group is that I can't see her putting up with any sniping - she seems like she would be a good mediator if things ever esculated haha - I'm looking forward to trying to earlier meeting next week with my family, I might feel more inclined to join in if I know a few of the group!

Many of the groups I have been to have involved unruly children running around and screaming while the doting parents do b*gger all about it. Either that, or people completely ignore the Consultant and sit chatting throughout the meeting, making it difficult to follow. I have been to so many, many groups over the years, and the group where I finally succeeded is my current one. The Consultant does not have favourites, firmly but politely tells parents to keep control of their children and is herself a healthy weight. I know it's a contentious issue, and has caused a few crossed words here at Minimins over the years, but I really can't take dietary advice seriously from someone who is overweight.

I really struggled to find a group I liked when I moved house. They were all so far and if I had to swap a day I was travelling for ages. Now I've found a really good one but I still miss my old one back home where I had family and friends at it. No one really speaks to me at this one, and I'm not shy by any means it's just they all have their SW friends.

Presumably there are new people joining from time to time? Talk to them when they are new and don't know anyone and then you will have a group of SW friends as well.

Back