Men and syns

Just back from group, and the leader made an announcement that SW have said that men can now have 5-10 more syns than women a day. Seemed to be a new thing.

Anyone else hear this?

Yes my OH is doing SW with me and he can have up 20 syns a day, but I think that's down to the fact men needs to consume more calories than a women.

I am into my 3rd week and my leader did not advise of that, but I will ask tomorrow at weigh in.

The standard is 5-15 for everyone irrespective of whether they are male or female. That said consultants have always had the discretion to give more syns to particular members, of either sex, if they think they need them. Personally I think that is wrong because if a person needs more calories, either because they are male or because they have a lot to lose, then i believe those calories should come from free foods rather than 'naughty' food jmho lol xx

I think it should be different for men and women, their bodies require different levels of nutrients and calories because they are not the same, therefore they should have slightly different syn levels. The OH has constantly lost weight on 20 syns a day x

Just back from group, and the leader made an announcement that SW have said that men can now have 5-10 more syns than women a day. Seemed to be a new thing.

Anyone else hear this?

It was clear that the fifteen syns rule results in a substantially quicker weight loss for men than women. Our metabolism is higher. I kept to the plan and repeatedly had the highest weight loss in my class, by quite a margin.

The reality is that we are all different, some people will need a lot less syns to achieve the same weight loss, it was for simplicity sake that it was 15 for everyone.

Since it is established now, im surprised that they are changing it though.

I think it should be different for men and women, their bodies require different levels of nutrients and calories because they are not the same, therefore they should have slightly different syn levels. The OH has constantly lost weight on 20 syns a day x

But fifteen syns a day still allows a safe weight loss for men and women. It gives anywhere between 1200 and 1600 calories. Another ten syns adds an extra 200 calories to that.

The standard is 5-15 for everyone irrespective of whether they are male or female. That said consultants have always had the discretion to give more syns to particular members, of either sex, if they think they need them. Personally I think that is wrong because if a person needs more calories, either because they are male or because they have a lot to lose, then i believe those calories should come from free foods rather than 'naughty' food jmho lol xx

Men can have 5-10 more syns per day than women and if you are heavier you can have more.

Its not new, it's always been around.

Not all men choose to have them.

Men can have 5-10 more syns per day than women and if you are heavier you can have more.

Its not new, it's always been around.

Not all men choose to have them.

Is that in the books? I havent opened them after my first couple of weeks, but i dont recall that information.

I was surprised at SW that everyone was to have the same as with every other weight loss class iv been to, the heavier you are the more 'points/extras/calories' you get, and this reduces as you lose weight.

I have never heard either of my SW consultants say anything like this though

all the consultants ive ever encountered have used this system.

I was surprised at SW that everyone was to have the same as with every other weight loss class iv been to, the heavier you are the more 'points/extras/calories' you get, and this reduces as you lose weight.

I have never heard either of my SW consultants say anything like this though

the extra syns aren't broadcast. Confidentiality. Imagine if you were over 16 or 20 stone and the consultant announced you could have extra syns, you'd be pretty cross.

I tell my members at the scales, or by text later on.

On the opposite end of the spectrum consultants can also advise those with very little weight to lose to have less than 15 syns a day. There's a girl in my group who has a maximum of 10 as advised by our consultant x

the extra syns aren't broadcast. Confidentiality. Imagine if you were over 16 or 20 stone and the consultant announced you could have extra syns, you'd be pretty cross.

I'm 27 stone and never been told. Booo.

Not that I think I'd take them anyway x

its the inconsistency of application that is frustrating though. Surely if that is what is says in the SW consultant bible then all consultants should be applying the same rules? but clearly they do not because everyone in my group, men, women and those with more to lose (I know because I was one myself) gets told 15 syns a day and never less than 10 (I don't agree with that advice either btw). But my earlier point still stands, if people need more calories for whatever reason then they should come from healthy free foods rather than syns imo. xx

Back