Men joining SW

MrsM10

We have so few men in our group, but tonight 4 men joined us! I think we now have a grand total of 6 men in a group of over 100 weighers (there's 2-3 groups one after the other).

I have to give props to these men that pluck up enough courage to join any slimming club, as they are mostly female dominant!

One of the guys that joined tonight said he had been plucking up the courage for 3-4 weeks!

So guys, well done & keep up the good work!!

Now for a question: how do I persuade my hubby to join? He needs to lose a fair bit of weight but I don't want to push him into joining just because I am. I was hoping that seeing me lose weight would motivate him, but no!

Well all i can say is that for me the turning point was constantly straining my back just turning over in the night and waking up in agony the next morning, not to mention the pain in my knees and the constant fear that i might have a heart attack or get diabetes.

If a gentle reminder to him about all of these health benefits from doing something as simple as losing some weight then i dont think anything will ever encourage him.

Although it took me getting to 26.5 stone for this to sink in for me tbh

I hope for his sake it doesnt take so long, also another good thing to do is show him a recent photo of him, maybe he doesnt realise he has gotten big?

We have so few men in our group, but tonight 4 men joined us! I think we now have a grand total of 6 men in a group of over 100 weighers (there's 2-3 groups one after the other).

I have to give props to these men that pluck up enough courage to join any slimming club, as they are mostly female dominant!

One of the guys that joined tonight said he had been plucking up the courage for 3-4 weeks!

So guys, well done & keep up the good work!!

Now for a question: how do I persuade my hubby to join? He needs to lose a fair bit of weight but I don't want to push him into joining just because I am. I was hoping that seeing me lose weight would motivate him, but no!

Paul_Farnham_uk said:
Well all i can say is that for me the turning point was constantly straining my back just turning over in the night and waking up in agony the next morning, not to mention the pain in my knees and the constant fear that i might have a heart attack or get diabetes.

If a gentle reminder to him about all of these health benefits from doing something as simple as losing some weight then i dont think anything will ever encourage him.

Although it took me getting to 26.5 stone for this to sink in for me tbh

I hope for his sake it doesnt take so long, also another good thing to do is show him a recent photo of him, maybe he doesnt realise he has gotten big?

I have to applaud you for getting the motivation to start and join SW! I bet everyone is so proud of you!

I've been saying things to my hubby such as "wow, my skin is looking better!" or "I have so much energy!" thinking he may want to join me. But he doesn't seem interested at all.

I've known for years that I needed to lose weight and I'd been told by so many people. But...just like anything I needed to get to a point in my life where I was doing it for me and nobody else. My head is totally in getting healthy and losing weight. I'm not sure if my hubby is anywhere near or whether he's not interested at all! I don't want to push him, but equally I want him to be healthier!

I reckon my OH needs to lose 7-8 stone so he is at a point where he really does need to do something. But again, I don't want to force him if he's not ready. I will always love him regardless of his size!

Maybe I will force him to try SW for a week & see what he thinks! It's so hard to say something without feeling like I'm being rude or insensitive! Ugh!

Well the other thing to do is just cook SW food for him anyway, he wont know any different tbh.

there are some great recipe books and these forums have thousands of really nice recipes too

I have to applaud you for getting the motivation to start and join SW! I bet everyone is so proud of you!

I've been saying things to my hubby such as "wow, my skin is looking better!" or "I have so much energy!" thinking he may want to join me. But he doesn't seem interested at all.

I've known for years that I needed to lose weight and I'd been told by so many people. But...just like anything I needed to get to a point in my life where I was doing it for me and nobody else. My head is totally in getting healthy and losing weight. I'm not sure if my hubby is anywhere near or whether he's not interested at all! I don't want to push him, but equally I want him to be healthier!

I reckon my OH needs to lose 7-8 stone so he is at a point where he really does need to do something. But again, I don't want to force him if he's not ready. I will always love him regardless of his size!

Maybe I will force him to try SW for a week & see what he thinks! It's so hard to say something without feeling like I'm being rude or insensitive! Ugh!

Paul_Farnham_uk said:
Well the other thing to do is just cook SW food for him anyway, he wont know any different tbh.

there are some great recipe books and these forums have thousands of really nice recipes too

He's been eating SW food including the 1/3 superfree - his main problem is between meals when he'll eat rubbish! Sweets, crisps, chocolate, etc! I try to have low syn stuff in the house (mikados, pizza slice biscuit things, muller lights and have made the ferrero rocher treats). He also refuses to eat fruit so his snacks are the problem I think. He is fine with veggies and salad.

I think I will speak to him when he gets home from work. Perhaps if we do some meal and snack planning together it will help him! I may even try to talk him into throwing out all the junk food!

The recipe books are fab! I bought the mag this week and am planning on leaving it on the coffee table open on the page where the man of the year (I think it was) has lost 17 stone! Amazing! That has GOT to inspire him!

When I originally went 2 yrs ago there were 2 men, joined last week and there was about 10-15!

The first time i walked into my slimming world group i was very nervous but was with my wife who was starting to, so wasn't as bad as if i had come on my own. The most important thing was both of us was given a warm welcome by the group and made to feel really glad we had come. After hearing our C tell us about the plan i thought this would never work, how wrong was I

I'm very lucky, when I said I was joining my hubby just agreed!! He did whine it would all be women but our C is male & we have a fair number of men, it's nice to see especially as they are usually the biggest doubters - with the biggest losses!! ;)

I think most men see "slimming" as a girly thing, but when you point out they can have a full English breakfast every day plus steak & chips for dinner (tweaked to be SW friendly ofc ;)) they soon realise how good it SW is!!

Charli XxX

Sparkswillfly said:
When I originally went 2 yrs ago there were 2 men, joined last week and there was about 10-15!

Wooo! I hope more men join our group soon. Would be nice to have more of a mixed group!

funkymoped said:
The first time i walked into my slimming world group i was very nervous but was with my wife who was starting to, so wasn't as bad as if i had come on my own. The most important thing was both of us was given a warm welcome by the group and made to feel really glad we had come. After hearing our C tell us about the plan i thought this would never work, how wrong was I

I think it's great when you start with someone, whether it's a friend/family member! I've found that me & my friend motivate each other daily! Just wish our OHs would join in properly!

It is so important to have a warm welcome! I love our group and like to think we make everyone feel welcome :) I hope so anyway - I do try to make an extra effort to chat with our newest slimmers!

Xcharlibobx said:
I'm very lucky, when I said I was joining my hubby just agreed!! He did whine it would all be women but our C is male & we have a fair number of men, it's nice to see especially as they are usually the biggest doubters - with the biggest losses!! ;)

I think most men see "slimming" as a girly thing, but when you point out they can have a full English breakfast every day plus steak & chips for dinner (tweaked to be SW friendly ofc ;)) they soon realise how good it SW is!!

Charli XxX

My OH is enjoying eating SW meals (breakfast/lunch/dinner) - we always have a variety of meals and it's nice to cook together! I just wish he wouldn't eat all the junk in between those delicious meals!

How is your hubby getting on with losing weight? Bet he's loving it?!

MrsM10 said:
My OH is enjoying eating SW meals (breakfast/lunch/dinner) - we always have a variety of meals and it's nice to cook together! I just wish he wouldn't eat all the junk in between those delicious meals!

How is your hubby getting on with losing weight? Bet he's loving it?!

He does love it! And he loses more than me every week which isn't fair - he doesn't count beer as syns!! Yet I painstakingly count everything lol :)

Have you tried suggesting low syn/syn free alternatives to your OH? I've got mine eating grapes instead of sweets (which he seems to be happy with!) See if he'll try it for a week... then I bet he feels better & will stick with it - they like a challenge hehe ;)

Charli XxX

Xcharlibobx said:
He does love it! And he loses more than me every week which isn't fair - he doesn't count beer as syns!! Yet I painstakingly count everything lol :)

Have you tried suggesting low syn/syn free alternatives to your OH? I've got mine eating grapes instead of sweets (which he seems to be happy with!) See if he'll try it for a week... then I bet he feels better & will stick with it - they like a challenge hehe ;)

Charli XxX

See my friend does this and has big losses - 1 day of not counting syns and then the rest of the week on track! I'm always counting syns too. Always! Haha!

We have plenty of low syn/syn free stuff in the house. I've bought mini twister lollies (2.5 syns) mikados (1/2 syn each) pizza cracker things (1/2 syn each) baked crisps (4.5 syns) sugar free jelly stuff (not sure of syns but it's low) plus of course lots of fruit, muller light yoghurts, mugshots, etc.

When I go shopping, I buy stuff SW friendly goodies, but hubby tends to come home from work a few times a week having gone to the supermarket/garage with sweets and chocolate.

I'll have a go at making those low syn sweets next week, and perhaps those ferrero rocher treats so he has sweet and choc treats to hand instead of the stuff he's been having!

He weighed himself this morning and has lost 1 stone since he's been having SW friendly main meals! Hmm, maybe I am being too harsh banishing all his treats?! Lol

MrsM10 said:
See my friend does this and has big losses - 1 day of not counting syns and then the rest of the week on track! I'm always counting syns too. Always! Haha!

We have plenty of low syn/syn free stuff in the house. I've bought mini twister lollies (2.5 syns) mikados (1/2 syn each) pizza cracker things (1/2 syn each) baked crisps (4.5 syns) sugar free jelly stuff (not sure of syns but it's low) plus of course lots of fruit, muller light yoghurts, mugshots, etc.

When I go shopping, I buy stuff SW friendly goodies, but hubby tends to come home from work a few times a week having gone to the supermarket/garage with sweets and chocolate.

I'll have a go at making those low syn sweets next week, and perhaps those ferrero rocher treats so he has sweet and choc treats to hand instead of the stuff he's been having!

He weighed himself this morning and has lost 1 stone since he's been having SW friendly main meals! Hmm, maybe I am being too harsh banishing all his treats?! Lol

Haha it's annoying isn't it!! Men do lose easier though (it's the testosterone :() If he's losing I'd keep him happy, as long as you don't let yourself slip too (I always give in to my OH's cravings!!) & he'll eventually admit it's a good thing!!

And men call us stubborn ;)

Charli XxX

Xcharlibobx said:
Haha it's annoying isn't it!! Men do lose easier though (it's the testosterone :() If he's losing I'd keep him happy, as long as you don't let yourself slip too (I always give in to my OH's cravings!!) & he'll eventually admit it's a good thing!!

And men call us stubborn ;)

Charli XxX

Well I am currently sat in burger king with my family...everyone's had large/supersize meals and I've just had a diet coke! I was going to have a whopper since I haven't had a treat or gone over syns ever since starting SW, but decided against it because come WI I will only be upset if I maintain/gain being so close to the lower stone bracket!!

Yay for will power!! x

My Mr joined with me yesterday (I have tried to lose weight in the past and he's never joined in!) - all of his own accord!

However I had discussed just a couple of days before how I was thinking that most overweight/obese men could be persuaded to lose weight by reminding them that a fatty pad in a certain area can rob men of inches... :p

Strange coincidence, that.

Polished said:
My Mr joined with me yesterday (I have tried to lose weight in the past and he's never joined in!) - all of his own accord!

However I had discussed just a couple of days before how I was thinking that most overweight/obese men could be persuaded to lose weight by reminding them that a fatty pad in a certain area can rob men of inches... :p

I'm on my phone so I can't like your post till I get home & go on my laptop! Bwahahahaha! x

MrsM10 said:
Well I am currently sat in burger king with my family...everyone's had large/supersize meals and I've just had a diet coke! I was going to have a whopper since I haven't had a treat or gone over syns ever since starting SW, but decided against it because come WI I will only be upset if I maintain/gain being so close to the lower stone bracket!!

Yay for will power!! x

That's impressive will power :D

Charli XxX

Polished said:

Haha brilliant!! *files in useful info brains store*

Charli XxX

Polished said:

Lol love it!

Back