Meringue

Missy_mint

can you make meringue with powder sweetner as i love them and if they were made with sweetner and egg white they would be free?
Its costing me a fortune to keep my sweet tooth at bay lol

I did try to make them this way but they turned out really powdery(spl?). On another site it was suggested to make an italian meringue where you whisk the eggs and sweetener over a pan of simmering water, this usually gives a denser meringue when you are making it with sugar so might work, i haven't tried this out yet though.

Meringue
4 large egg whites
1 cup sugar (1 CUP SPLENDRA)
Fill saucepan with 2 inches of water; bring to a simmer. Place the egg whites and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer. Combine, using a hand-held wire whisk. Set bowl over saucepan of simmering water; continue to whisk.
Whisk constantly until all the sugar is dissolved and the mixture feels hot to the touch. Transfer the bowl to mixer and whip, using the whisk attachment, on high speed until whites are glossy and stand in stiff peaks when the whisk is lifted, about 3 minutes.
Heat oven to 175°C. Bake about 1 hour.

I'll try and get round to it this weekend and let you know how i get on.

Great Skiddykat! You should perhaps pop this in the recipe section as well, as I know that theres been a few questioning about meringue :)

I did try with sweetener but found the same as you, and I didn't like them! I don't like the taste of sweetener though and that no doubt why lol

K xx

I made mini syn free meringues at the weekend, I used one egg white & 4 tablespoons granulated sweetener, what I did is as follows:

Whisk egg white till it start going frothy then I stirred in 2 tablespoons of the sweetener with a metal spoon, whisked again until it just started getting stiff then I stirred in the other two tablespoons, again with a metal spoon, then I whisked again until the mixture was stiff & stood up on it's own, I then put dollops of the mixture onto some non stick baking parchment & baked them in a pre-heated oven at 110 for 45 mins.

They came out yellow (which I think is the sweetener) but they were really nice, probably a little too sweet if I am honest so next time I do them I will use 3 tablespoons & see what they are like then.

Button - sorrbut I actually did 2 egg whites 8 tablespoons of sweetener &it made 14 smallish meringues

Back