Meringues??

gemily

I had a question, i don't actually eat them myself (don't really have much of a sweet tooth) but couldn't you make syn free meringues?

2 egg whites
1/2 cup Splenda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Wouldnt this all be free? just a though! lol I might be wrong though..

I'm nor sure about your recipe but I suppose you only have to try!!
I do have a quyick recipe for meringues though:
Take one egg white and add a drop of vanilla flavouring. Gradually stir in icing sugar until you have a stiff lump.
Break off maltesar sized pieces and roll them into a ball. Place one in the microwave (to experiment with time) turn to full power and watch. Within seconds it will blow up to look like a proper meringue.
You have to remove them quickly as they will overcook but are great for desserts.
The odd shaped ones can be crushed and added to yoghurt/low fat ice cream and chopped strawberries for Eton Mess.

Elaine

I would be suspicious that the splenda wouldn't "crisp up" like sugar does. Meringues are a funny thing. I think if it was possible to make them without sugar, you'd probably be able to buy them in the shops, but I'm just guessing. Anyone feel brave enough to try it?

Oooo...Im going to give this a try when I get home this evening!

It IS possible, I've done it a few times. You need WAAAAYYY more swwetner than that though. Like, about half a jar per egg white. I know, sh*t loads, isn't it?! lol

Works fine though. Crisps up lovely, with a hint of chewyness on the inside. There is a slightly artificial aftertaste, cos of the sweetner, but nothing that can't be counteracted by some sweet quark 'cream'!

I serve mine with sweetened quark & options sachet. Lovely jubbly!

Jo
x

Ooooo...definitely making these this evening then...with some raspberries and the quark choc filling you have mentioned above mojomcl! Thank you!!!

What's 'cream of tartar'?

Did you try them, Mrs V? Whaddya reckon to them? yumyum

aaahhh. Makes sense! lol

Hi,

So OK, this may sound a bit dim, but as all the components are free, does this mean the end product is still free? I know sometimes there can be rules about once you have baked something etc it is no longer free... would try this as can sometimes get a sweet tooth around totm, but scared they are secretly full of evil syns!!!

Jo
x

Hmmm...My whites didnt stiffen, I mixed for ages lol and added shed loads of sweetner, but still nothing. I ended up blending them with the yolks and making lovely syn free pancakes instead.
Still not sure what I did wrong, apart from the cream of tartar bit!

Well, I made them......

and to be honest I found them terribly disappointing!! They looked like the real thing but they didn't taste anything like them!! more like 'sweetened air' !

However, maybe it was something i did, or didn't do!!

Don't think I shall be trying them again, will be throwing the offending articles in the bin!

Jo x

Hmmm...My whites didnt stiffen, I mixed for ages lol and added shed loads of sweetner, but still nothing. I ended up blending them with the yolks and making lovely syn free pancakes instead.
Still not sure what I did wrong, apart from the cream of tartar bit!
Can't say for sure what happened with yours, but I do know that with normal meringues, everything you use, bowls/whisk, everything, must be very clean and dry. No residue of any oils at all. And not even the tiniest bit of yolk in the whites or it won't work.

Yeah, I was going to suggest that the TINIEST trace of yolk would stop them from stiffening.

Ach well, all's well that ends well. I luv'em! lol

Jo
x

Back