Messed up my first week

Davey1984

Hi all,

I'm so ashamed of myself, I completely messed up last night and ate a real chilli con carne, a glass of diet coke, and a spoonful of ice cream, all of that on my 3rd day. This is most definitely stopped me from getting into ketosis.
I woke up this morning and am so annoyed at myself because I'm not obsessing about food and wish I had been strong enough to fight the urge! All my hard work was for nothing xxx

Can I ask a simple question Davey? Where did you find all that food? If its from you wife/partner/mum you could ask them to be a little more supportive. If you live alone it all should be in the bin not sitting there tempting you.

Where ever it came from draw a line under yesterday and start again with a memory of how bad you felt cheating yourself. You need to get through the first week, it really does become easier then.

That hard work was only for nothing if you give up now. Draw a line under your blip and carry on as before.

Are you ready to do this? Really ready? Why do you want to do it? Do you know why? Are you prepared to stick through those first days - to really put YOU first - and ignore the thoughts that might send you off track? Do you truly believe you deserve to take off the weight? Deep down?

It doesn't have to be hard. It's all about how you perceive it to be. It will feel strange and unsettling and weird - after all, it's a very different way of nourishing your body from what you're used to. But if you can choose to accept the temporary strangeness, it will get easier. The hunger pangs fade and you start to see cravings for what they really are: illusions. Very powerful and sometimes upsetting illusions, but figments of your imagination.

I still have them. I'm still learning. I found LL weird and bizarre at first. But I was ready to do it. Really ready to ride out the weirdness and give it a go. What have you got to lose? All the foods you crave will still be there when you're done, and if you choose to, you will still be able to find ways to have them in your diet. You're not saying they're "forbidden" forever - just you're giving yourself a breathing space from making food choices for a while so you can sort out what's real for you and what's in your mind, what works for your body and what doesn't work so well.

Take a deep breath. You've tried once. It didn't work this time. Can you work out why and use that to help you next time? I really hope you don't give up!

an excellent post spanglymum!

Ah thats such a shame ! And i bet you were sooooo close to being in ketosis ! Its hard but only for the first week or so. You just have to be honest with yourself, and your group. People will be greatful for your honesty. If you really, really want to loose weight then look at the bigger picture. Sure you could do another diet like weight watchers or slimming world. But then you would be loosing a pound or 2 here and there, I promise you the struggling is worth it ! And dieting is neer easy. LighterLife is amasing, and luckily for you being a bloke the length of time it will take you to get to your goal is shorter. Dont give up, just accept that you had a blip, and get your head in the right place to start again xxx

Hi Davy

How are you feeling today? Was Sunday a better day?

Dave, your all or nothing attitude is not helping you. You didn't mess up the whole week! You messed up one meal. You will still lose weight this week, just not as much as you might have done.

All or nothing comments are one of the things we learn about in counselling. You learn that small things don't need to be big things. You learn from your mistakes, put them into perspective, stop beating yourself up and move on.

I agree that whoever is providing this food for you is sabotaging your weight loss and you need to put a stop to it. Commit to your plan, tell everyone around you that you will be sticking to it no matter what and make it clear they are to support you not make it harder.

If you live alone, you need to clear your cupboards, throw away the take out menus and commit to this 100%.

You can do this because all of us have faced the same issues and managed. None of us thought we could do it, but somehow we did. the reason: because the counselling and the food allowed us to find our own strength.

Nzmegs is right. Go along and get weighed, listen to the LLC, and do t next week. And you can do it next week. OK, you slipped up. Are you going to get back up or lay on the floor feeling bad? (Sorry that sounds really harsh but that's what I always tell myself)
You can do it!

I'm a little concerned that dave may have thrown in the towel (so to speak). I haven't seen any posts by him or replies.

I hope that's not the case and he gives himself a chance.

Come on Dave!

I'm having a bit of a rough time at the moment, I feel like an ant at the foot of Everest but I am going to stick with it.

If I stop now I won't be giving up on LL, I'll be giving up on myself.

You ate, you shouldn't of, but you did. Carry on, finish your food packs, be honest with yourself and your councellor at weigh in and let them help you.

Carry on like it never happened and let us know how you are and how you got on....

Take care.

What Problemchild said!
I am concerned Davey hasn't been on here too - it is so hard the first week, but it is possible if you give yourself permission to feel a bt rough and wierd and know that it will pass.

Problemchild - which group do you go to? I am in Liverpool too!

I've sent him a tweet, asking him to pop back on.

What Problemchild said!
I am concerned Davey hasn't been on here too - it is so hard the first week, but it is possible if you give yourself permission to feel a bt rough and wierd and know that it will pass.

Problemchild - which group do you go to? I am in Liverpool too!

I'm up in Crosby Zombiegirl, you?

Hi all,
Thank you so much for your lovely, caring and supportive replies.
I did have a blip on Saturday and I text my counsellor on saturday afternoon telling her I was struggling and feeling really crap and she completely ignored my text, it took 36 hours for her to reply and her reply was "I'm in a consultation so can't talk" and that was at 1pm yesterday afternoon nothing from her since, I feel so unsupported by my LLC especially in the toughest week of your LL journey - the first week.
Yesterday wasn't good either and i did throw in the towel and just ate normal food!
I know my LLC isn't too blame, it is my own decisions and choices but I just feel that had there been a bit more support maybe things would be different. I haven't even had a counselling session yet, she told me to come in last week pick up the packs and get started.
I just felt so lost and still do :-(

I'm so glad you came back here. We were all worried about you.

OK, so what do you want to do? Why did you choose LL in the first place? What did you find difficult? I think we all found the first three days the most difficult. It does take time to get used to, but once you are into the swing of things, its so much easier.

It is disappointing that your LLC hasnt been supportive. Can you carry on and see her or is there another one in your area? Assuming you want to carry on with LL of course.

Don't forget that there is lots of support on here, and you may find it easier when you start the counselling sessions too.

Dave, are weekends your food weakness?? if so then maybe try starting again further away from the weekend ie, monday/tuesday. That way by the time saturday comes around you will already be ketosis and hopefully a lot stronger to fight those urges/cravings.

It's very disappointing to hear that your LLC didn't reply to your obvious cry for help. But don't let them spoil your journey. You are doing this for YOU, and only YOU can ensure your success.

Please don't give up.

Dave take a look at my pics on here I started on the 20th of January last year best thing iv ever done in my life and as for the counciling I never had any i was the only male doing it where im from. when I needed advice I came on here. I'm now 3 months over RTM eating healthily and have just cut out carbs and sweet stuff. I'm doing the educo gym system and the fat is still coming off and putting on muscle.

Back