Metabolism?

slimforlive

Hi all,:wave_cry:

I'm due to start CD at the end of August (got a holiday first, and I know I'm kidding myself to start before it!), and I've got about 3.5 stone to lose... I'm really excited, and can't wait to start. Can't actually believe this will work, but I KNOW I'll be able to stick to it - so I can't be the only one in the world it doesn't work for can I?! Anyhoo, I've got a few questions that I hope someone can help me with ...

I've been on diets for years and years now (none with any major success!) and this is my first vlcd - and what I'm worried aobut is, when I've tried to eat less before my weight loss has completely stopped (or I've gained!) because my body has gone into starvation mode, so just started storing any food I ate as fat ... how does this not happen on CD? Also, as my metabolism is totally messed up from dieting for years, will this slow down my weight loss?

Having only (only!!) 3.5 stone to lose, will it take longer to lose?

Sorry for all the questions, just ramblings of my tired mind! :D

Sharon xx
xxx

Firstly hi Sharon and welcome.

I dont have all the right medical theory ~ tho am sure a CDC will come along and explain. By the way have you looked at the Cambridge website, you do get a fair amount of info on that.

I have yo-yo dieted my entire life and tried numerous conventional diets. I have both lost and regained and each time the gain added pounds, so I too thought that I had messed up my metabolism so badly that nothing now would work. In fact before CD I had retried SW and GI dieting, but I could only get around a 1/2 stone loss, so was really demotivated ~ until CD.

In the last 8 weeks I have lost 2 stone and am well on the way to my goal weight ~ it's been much easier than I thought and I feel better (in terms of health) than I have for a very long time.

The shakes, tetras or bars that you have contain all the necessary mineral and nutrients that you body needs, so it does not feel it is in 'starvation mode' ~ also once in ketosis (and that perhaps does need explaining by a CDC), your body burns fat, so you not only lose weight in so far as the scales show, but more importantly the fat stores you have accummulated over time. I have lost 5" from my waist and hips.

In all my goal is a 4 stone weight loss ~ some have more to lose, some have less ~ but that isn't the point. If you stick to a VLCD you can't fail to lose and you will do so faster than you could do on other conventional diets.

Good luck and have a read around the forum, you'll find loads of info and lots of inspirational stories to help you on your way.

Thanks so much for replying :)

You've made me feel a lot happier already, I just wish I was starting it now, but I know if I did I'd only go off it on holiday then beat myself up about it, so I'm going to have to wait! :rolleyes:

Well done on your weight loss - I bet you feel and look fantastic! And thanks again for replying
xx

Hello Sharon

I have been overweight since I was a teenager and have tried various diets to try and get the weight off. I do actually have a notoriously low metabolism - when I was on diets like WW etc I would stick to it religiously and usually lose approx 0.5lb a week. On most conventional diets I would lose about 1-1.5stone then my weight loss would plateau. After a month or so of dieting hard and no losses I would lose all motivation, give up, binge then end up putting all of the weight back on plus a little more for good measure. Due to this cycle I went from being about 12 stone in my teens up to 18 stone at the start of the year - thats one hell of a yo-yo dieting pattern :eek:.

In January I started following WW again and going to gym and lost a stone and then for most of march and april - no loss :(. Then I discovered CD......

I have just finished week 12 - I have lost 3st 5lb so far and I am more than half way to my goal weight. On any other diet my weight loss would have plateau'd ages ago.

Domino has already said most of what I would have re ketosis/nutrition etc - re will your loss be slower this is a bit difficult to say as everyone is different - from others experiences I have read on here some people find once they get close to goal the weight can be a bit slower to come off but it seems to vary from person to person. Losses on SS (no cheating!!) are on average a stone a month so potentially if you allow 3 months for your 3 stone and another month for luck if your last half a stone is stubborn you could be at goal on onto maintenance roughly by december time.

I wish you the very best of luck with starting CD Sharon - I can honestly say starting CD is possibly one of the best decisions I have ever made. It can be hard but if you have the strength and determination to stick with it I really don't think you will be dissapointed with the results :p.

Take care - have a lovely holiday and I will look forward to hearing about your progress after you get back.

Back