MFP or Slimming World?

I've used MFP in the past and lost some of my weight with success but thinking of joining Slimming World, but not sure if I can let go of not counting calories!
Do I stick to what I know works or go for it?!

Hi - I lost over 5 stone a number of years ago doing C Counting and then a couple of years ago some had started to creep back on and as I then lived near a SW meeting I decided to go there and I found that I put even more weight on doing SW - when it said the food was "free" and you could eat as much as you wanted then I did. I am veggie and some of the foods like chickpeas and lentils were free but I know they were quite high in cals but they said they were free so I ate loads of them. I then went back to what I know best and that is Calorie Counting.
Having said that I have met (on these boards when it was the old Minimins) plenty who have lost weight with SW and one was Slimmer of the Year etc etc losing about the same as I had and she is now a SW instructor. So really it is what suits you best. Are there any offers on at the moment where you can try a class for free? Google it as they are in magazines every now and then and newspapers give them out when they do a SW promos or maybe go on the SW board on here and ask them if there are any about.

This is a good question I start off well CC then give up with the tracking of calories daily. SW ive tried a couple of times and does seem easier to follow if u lead a busy life. I'm am rethinking which plan to follow.

Thanks Systema and Curvie.
I have a huge problem with portion control so don't like the concept of eating as much free food as I like. Also I like to cook the same food for everyone in the family and cook from scratch, which means I've got loads of recipes stored on MFP.
Systema, I like your suggestion of going to see if there is a slimming world class near me where I can and have a taster session.

I have made the decision to track this weekend using MFP so far todays foods is looking low. I can count calories and prepare well when I'm not so busy. SW might have a voucher in certain magazines u could use at a class even if u get the books etc.

good luck x

Last edited:
I've had a look online and spoken to some people who are doing slimming world at the moment and have decided to stick with calorie counting.
Reasons are I know from experience calorie counting works for me. I can cook and eat the same meals as rest of family and have loads of recipes on MFP I use. Also I can eat a bit of whatever I fancy as long as I account for it and therefore not denying myself certain foods and ending up craving for them more!

Thanks to everyone for your help in making this decision and here's to a happier, slimmer me ( fingers crossed!)

Back