midwife on call!

Hi everyone I'm Deb and new to the forum - I've just completed my first week of ss and lost 9lbs :)

Have had the week off work to get into the swing of things and feeling great and back to work on Tues.

My question is I'm a community midwife so have to do a few on call nights every month - does anyone have any tips on how to deal with night shifts? I'm on 3 cambridge a day and if I don't get called out then its obviously not a prob - but was thinking of carrying an extra tetra with me just in case? Or would it be better to just try to manage without?

Thanks for any advice!

Welcome!

Sorry - I don't have any knowledge in this area - but your plan sounds good to me!

I'm sure someone more qualified will be along shortly!

Ooh forgot to say - well done on your week 1 loss

I work night shifts and adjust my timings so that I have a tetra/bar/shake during the night. If I was just on call though and I had eaten my stuff during the day, I wouldn't eat extra. I usually find that I'm not hungry during the night:)

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply - guess I'll have to take the tetra with me and only take it in an emergency - such as a high speed transfer into hospital by ambulance which always makes me feel very ill! lol

Well done on the weight loss. I know where you are coming from I do nights and have done agency where they let me know last minute to have a shift kind of like on calls. I do leave my last pack til 22.30 usually so it is there in reserve and if called to work save it til later in the night. This works as not hungry as such. An emergency tetra or bar (when you can have them in week 3) is a good idea as you are 5ft 7in you are not far from being allowed another pack. If it not that frequent an extra CD pack wont affect your loss that much. Any diet needs good planning. Good luck Jayne x

Well I guess you could have an extra one as I'm sure it won't be a regular thing. However, would you usually eat in the middle of the night? Lol
I can understand if someone is actually doing nightshifts and completely swapping day to night but if you are on call then you would have eaten you daily quota and unless your night turns into early morning then I can't see why you would need and extra one during the night.
Well done on your loss!!!

When I'm on call I don't usually bother, even if I get called out it's not something I think about, I'm more concerned with getting in, doing the job at hand and getting home to bed again. I make sure I have a drink though.

When I'm on nights it's a whole different story, we still class it as overtime so it's a 21 hour shift. That can throw all kinds of problems at me. If I have my packs at normal times it means I have to go all night with nothing, which is fine when you're in bed asleep but when you're darting about the hospital all night you need extra. So I have my usual 3 packs at later times than normal and have a 4th in the middle of the night.

I think if you're in danger of grabbing something from the vending machine if you get called out, then take a tetra or a bar with you, it won't do any harm.

When I'm on call I don't usually bother, even if I get called out it's not something I think about, I'm more concerned with getting in, doing the job at hand and getting home to bed again. I make sure I have a drink though.

When I'm on nights it's a whole different story, we still class it as overtime so it's a 21 hour shift. That can throw all kinds of problems at me. If I have my packs at normal times it means I have to go all night with nothing, which is fine when you're in bed asleep but when you're darting about the hospital all night you need extra. So I have my usual 3 packs at later times than normal and have a 4th in the middle of the night.

I think if you're in danger of grabbing something from the vending machine if you get called out, then take a tetra or a bar with you, it won't do any harm.

Aw Surfhunny, how can you survive a 21 hour shift? :( One day, I had to stay at work for 14 hours working non stop and I felt really :zz:

Fortunately I don't do as many as I used to, because it's overtime we can swap them or give them away and I'm lucky I can afford to do that!

Thanks everyone - what a lovely helpful bunch you are! If I get called out it will be to a homebirth which we have quite a lot of so luckily no hospital vending machines but dad's making bacon sandwiches! lol

Back