Discussion in 'Syn Values' started by warnawoo, 1 March 2014.

1. warnawoo

warnawoo Well-Known Member

is lean mince free on ee and red plans or does it have to be extra lean mince? or is there a sin value in both?:confused:
  2. lickthelid

lickthelid Lives here....

Extra lean is generally free (check the fat content is typically less than 5% fat per 100g) whereas lean (or typically less than 12% fat) is 2 syns per 100g raw weight.
    Last edited: 7 March 2014
  3. warnawoo

warnawoo Well-Known Member

Many thanks x

Sent from my GT-I9305 using MiniMins.com mobile app
  4. rm247

rm247 Well-Known Member

I need some advice as to where I can buy actual lean mince from. All the shops I've tried their mince is still well over 5% fat.
  5. lickthelid

I thought all mince came with a certain amount of fat content according to whether it was lean or extra lean. Isn't it that that binds it? Unless you bought a mincer and minced some lean steak with the fat removed. Or spoke to an actual butcher who may be able to do that for you.
  6. rm247

rm247 Well-Known Member

I'm basing it off the fact that the SW books all refer to mince at less than 5% fat as being FREE, whilst mince at a higher fat percentage isn't.
  7. SallyVater

SallyVater Well-Known Member

Sainsbury's and Asda both do Extra Lean mince. I've got to be honest, if it says Extra Lean on it from either of those place, then I take it as free!
  8. lickthelid

Then I need to correct me earlier post because I remembered it differently. But most supermarkets extra lean is listed on syns online as free so that's what i go by :)
  9. NewMe14

NewMe14 Well-Known Member

aldi do one also and it is less than 5% fat
  10. brody-maddison

brody-maddison New Member

I've never seen 5% in Aldi, only the 12%.
  11. Nanny Doreen

Nanny Doreen Well-Known Member

Tesco does a less than 5% fat. Some of their extra lean is 12% so be careful. Just because it says extra lean does not mean that it is free.
  12. pippalata

pippalata Well-Known Member

13. Nanny Doreen

Nanny Doreen Well-Known Member

I have seen it in Sainsbury but don`t get in there very often, They do sell Turkey mince