MINCED BEEF

martin4963

Hi Everyone,

I have been using the cheaper minced beef in SW recipes , BUT I have drained the juices off and in addition, rinsed the partially cooked mince in boiling water in order to wash out the excess fat. Am I right in thinking that this is ok?

This one does cause a bit of a debate. I dont use mince very often but when I do I do exactly the same as you and I think quite a few other on here do as well.
If money was no object I would buy the extra lean stuff but it is sooo expensive.

I do the same and cook and rinse mince and it might not get rid of all the fat but it is alot leaner and I assume its free then

No, my consultant has always made it very clear that this should not be done.

I've not heard from any official source that it is ok to do this.

Unfortunately draining and rinsing won't make any difference, because the mince will still contain fat, as some fat doesnt turn to liquid when cooked, if that makes sense.

I suppose it all depends on whether you do it and still continue to lose weight. It would be one of the first things to look at if you find your weight loss slows down or comes to a halt. There are so many little tweaks out there, that they soon add up when you put them all together and you could affect your weight loss, when not being 100%.

I often see posts were the extra lean is on offer. I think Asda recently had a deal for some big packs.

I know the extra lean mince is expensive but I do find you can split it in two and use it twice it obviously works out cheaper.:D All good food is expensive and I would know with being unemployed rubbish stuff is always cheap.

Or you can use less of the extra lean mince by bulking it out with quorn mince, pulses, or vegetables. Using the vegetables solves your superfree problem as well.

Back