Mini Goals.

Becca Wecca

skinny minny here I come!
Do people find this helps their weight loss or in a way hinders it because of the disappointment if you don't reach the goal?

I was thinking about setting myself some goals such as getting to a certain weight by a certain date, but I really don't know if this would help, or just make me feel pressured...

Opinions please!! xx

I never have done this because I don't like to set myself up for a fall.
My thoughts are this, if you stick to plan then the results will follow. If you don't reach the goals you set but have stuck to the plans what else can you do?
Just my thoughts, I know a lot of people do set mini goals and it helps them, just not moi!

It's a tough one!

I have the challenges, but with those I have set myself really easy achievable targets so I know i'd lose the weight!! But with mini goals, i'm worried i'll feel like i would be disheartened if I don't reach it and think i'm failing.

I have set myself mini goals (see sig) that will lead to my main target. I haven't put time limits on them because for me personally I would be disappointed if I hadn't met them within that given time. However I have set myself a date to be at my target date by, but it's purposefully long so there's no pressure. I think I can manage losing 13lbs by August for my holiday!

In my sig I have put some mini-goals. I wont be too disappointed if I dont reach them, however I find they are helping me along the way!

I find they help.

My mini-goals are very 'mini' in that they are either getting abother stone or half-stone award, getting under a 'stone barrier', getting Slimmer of the Week, Club 10, etc.

In the back of my mind at all times is my ultimate goal, and I am trying to reinforce that all the time with positive mental images of how I will look and feel when that time comes, but I concentrate my mind on the mini-goals.

The best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time (assuming you're on a red day!) ;)

I set myself 7lb targets, once I register one lot of 7lb I forget and go onto the next 7lb.

If I keep thinking about what I have lost I may get complacent and I dont want to risk that. I also dont want to think about what I have to lose either, because thats scary :eek:

So far its working and I couldn't be happier. :D

i have mini goals, but without date restraints generally. like 'to lose half a stone' and then 'to lose my first stone' etc.

i have my hen weekend in Ibiza in 12 weeks with 20 hot ladies, and i want to lose another 10lb by then. I think that's achievable. i hope!

I do set myself lots of tiny minigoals, and I do write down a date I'd like to acheive it by, but I make sure I tell myself that it's fine to move the goal posts and not to be hard on myself if I don't quite make it!! My minigoals are ridiculously small, but this helps me to keep focussed! For example my next one is 13st 5 (2lb)(2 1/2 stone sticky), then it'll be 13st 4 which will mean I'm exactly half way to target, then it'll be 13st 3 which will mean I'm UNDER 30 on the BMI chart making me just 'overweight' not 'obese'!!! The next will be 13st as that will mean I've lost 40lb (sort of into the next decade in terms of weight loss) then 12st 13 1/2 to get into the 12 stone range (MASSIVE psychological acheivement) then 12st 12 (3 stone sticky) then 12st 11 1/2 (this will take me down into the 170s pound wise which sounds nicer than 180s)! I know this all sounds quite anal and obsessive but it keeps me ticking along and being chuffed with myself for breaking through goals!! Sometimes even 1/2 stone can seem a long way off!!

I have in the past set myself goals and have generally reached them. However, the weeks that I have a gain (even after sticking to plan 100%), I am devestated and feel that I wont reach that target. This disappointment is getting too much for me these days, so I would rather just loose the weight, exercise and reach my target when I get there eventually!

wow Mrs V you've lost 7stone?! OMG! all on slimming world? that's amazing!

I've set myself some mini goals...I find they really help me, I've always worked better under pressure! Plus I think it stops me from getting complacent and thinking "its fine I have all the time in the world" I want to get to target by the end of this year and I think without mini goals i'd dilly dally around!

I also really want to be significantly slimmer by my birthday - as it was my original goal, until I realised it was a bit far fetched! So i've set myself a goal to be just over half way by then! x

I've given myself a year to get to target from 1st October last year! I'll have been doing SW for 6 months next Thursday and I'm a third of the way through! Need to up the ante a bit, but still works out at 1.3 pounds to lose a week which is doable xxx

Back