Mirror-fast - do they make us self-conscious? Should we do without?

Freedom Pass

Just been listening to a radio interview with a woman who went on a "mirror-fast". The question is could you go without a mirror for a month? My answer is NO. I have facial hair (PCOS) to cope with, I never leave my home without a little make-up on. The daughter of a dressmaker, a check in the full length for uneven hems, hanging cottons or other clothing defects are important to me. I accepted years ago that I'll never be tall or blonde or have straight hair.

Do mirrors make us self-conscious? Are we obsessed with appearance?

Freedom Pass said:
Just been listening to a radio interview with a woman who went on a "mirror-fast". The question is could you go without a mirror for a month? My answer is NO. I have facial hair (PCOS) to cope with, I never leave my home without a little make-up on. The daughter of a dressmaker, a check in the full length for uneven hems, hanging cottons or other clothing defects are important to me. I accepted years ago that I'll never be tall or blonde or have straight hair.

Do mirrors make us self-conscious? Are we obsessed with appearance?

Would I be on a diet if I didn't care what others or I thought??? No probably not! Sad world where we feel we have to look a certain way
I listened too,very interesting!

I couldn't go without a mirror either. Same reason can't go out without make up or hair straightened. I am not one of the lucky people who look nice without. Answer to your question, Yes.....

I do think we are mirror obsessed but that said, I couldn't go without a mirror, for reasons I don't understand my average looking teeth attract spinach etc at a shocking rate. And I seem to be unable to brush my teeth without splattering toothpaste all over my face and clothes....am I the only one?!?

My mirror gets toothpaste sprays, impossible not to lol

So many necessary uses. Yes, spinach teeth, yes, checking for toothpaste, and those of us in the 60+ group know that without care lipstick can 'bleed'. Checking the angle of earrings, and as a giggler, checking for running mascara after a god laugh.

Even if I didnt have a mirror Id find something else I can see my reflection in!!

FP I'm not a Avon person normally but would highly recommend the ANEW line filling lip liner, its clear so all you see is your lipstick and no bleeding.xxx

I dont own a full legnth mirror..... havent done for over 10 years

I own two full length mirrors, a large bathroom one, large ones on the wardrobes large one in living room plus two hand mirrors OMG.....my family has a problem....

No way I could do without a mirror, I check all the time to see if the top I wear matches my skirt or trousers. Hair brushing, in case the fringe is wrong LOL and checking the spots!!!!!

Yep I too use it for teeth checking, but I don't where makeup ever, so nothing to check there LOL.

My hubby is the mirror king in our house, still thinks he's 21 and sexy lol

Hmmm, handbag mirror, 1 full length, magnifying light up make up mirror, large one in spare room, 1 in each bathroom, travel magnifying mirror. Not excessive, but all around me.

Back