Mixamousse - arrrrgh, where did I go wrong?!?!?!?!?!

Sunflowers

Wants to be a yummy mummy
I bought some mixamousse yesterday - tried to make it with a tetra but, after 10 minutes, h2b came upstairs in hysterics asking what the thing in the fridge was that resembled an extra out of Doctor Who?!?! It was, in all honesty, a very good description!!!!!!!

Needless to say, I didnt eat it!!!!!!!!!

Dont know where I went wrong, if anyone has any tips that would be great! I whisked it for ages too!!!

Theres a recipie on the sticky at the top of the page for the perfect mousse and it really does work, I have one a day and they are beautiful my totally fave thing on cambridge :D

thanks princess, I'll go and have a look...

Has anyone ever made mousses with tetras and got them to work?

Hmmmmmmmmm, just had a read through that thread - there are some great old recipes there!!

No mention of mousses made with tetras though.. :(

ok, thank you.. Will put a tetra in the fridge next time!!!

i find the key is to use a hand blender....i havent made it with tetra's b4 but i do make mousse with my shakes. And its comes out loveeeelyyyyy ;)

hand blender or whisk?? I used a hand whisk last time, maybe I'll use a blender next time!!

and make the tetra and water really cold!!!

Thank you!

LOL - princess, even though I whisked and whisked (it's an electric one, not a hand one!) for about 4 minutes, when I came downstairs to see what h2b was talking about there were so many lumps floating on the top!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It looked horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Think the hand blender might be better!!!

I make great Tetra mousses ... they're my evening treat!

1. Tetra straight from fridge
2. Use an electric mixer / blender preferably and not for too long - I whizz mine for about 40 seconds on the lowest setting. You want to keep the air/lightness in as the mix a mousse begins to work, not beat it all out.
3. Stick the mousse in the freezer for 15 minutes when it's in the bowl.

I never really got the trick of using powder packs to make mousses, but tetras turn out a choc mousse that's almost as good as Cadburys's - lovely firm texture.

bagpuss, thank you so much for your reply!!

Do you dilute the tetra at all? I always dilute mine, even when frozen.. (Funny, can eat the banana one frozen out the box but not the choc!) I only add 100 mls - but with the fact that it's now 300mls that equals 2 scoops right? (Says to add one scoop for 150mls)..

Do you put the powder on top of the tetra or the other way round?

Will definately put a tetra in the fridge tonight for tomorrow!!

Shame sonja.. Can you put it back in the fridge for a bit or have you eaten it runny?!

LOL - princess, even though I whisked and whisked (it's an electric one, not a hand one!) for about 4 minutes, when I came downstairs to see what h2b was talking about there were so many lumps floating on the top!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It looked horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Think the hand blender might be better!!!

This is like my hand blender Amazon.co.uk: Braun MR5550 M HC&BC Multiquick Professional Hand Blender: Kitchen & Home I use the turbo button and it wipes out all traces of lumps:D I hope you actually like the mousses after all this lol.

I did it a few days ago.....lol. I put the water in the freezer as its best really cold so took it out before it froze...lol. Then did as recommended and stuck it in fridge but after 15 mins it was still runny....lol.
So had it anyway.

bagpuss, thank you so much for your reply!!

Do you dilute the tetra at all? I always dilute mine, even when frozen.. (Funny, can eat the banana one frozen out the box but not the choc!) I only add 100 mls - but with the fact that it's now 300mls that equals 2 scoops right? (Says to add one scoop for 150mls)..

Do you put the powder on top of the tetra or the other way round?

Will definately put a tetra in the fridge tonight for tomorrow!!

Hi - no, I don't dilute the tetra at all. It tastes different when it's 'moussed' - lighter and less strong - so you may get on better with 'neat' choc in a mousse than you do frozen - worth a go with half a brik to experiment maybe?

What you say about dilution and the quantity of MAM sounds right - though I think we're only allowed 1 scoop of MAM a day (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so you may need to divide in 2 if so. If you're on 790 (congrats on the dress by the way, saw the pics, you look fantastic!) then what the heck though :)

I stick my MAM on top and just let the blender do its thing. It's quite powerful even on the low setting, so I expect you'd have to bash it with the hand blender for a bit longer. When the mixture turns paler and starts to look fluffier, it's about done.

Damn, I want one nowwwww ... :D

ive never made a mousse with either tetras or shakes, dont think my blender would be good enough to get all lumps out.
ive made loads of jellies with mix a mousse tho, they are yummy :D

Back