Mixed information from different consultants

BritMumInCanada

Gold Member
It is hardly surprising that we often see posts from sw members confused about the diet. I am for ever seeing different information given from consultants, i.e. you need to syn this, you dont need to syn this, you can do this that way or do this this way.

I am kind of glad I just doing SW online, so my advice comes from SW directly and no one else.

Does anyone else find this?

I have now seen a post on Facebook, claimg that a consultant has said we now need to syn SW quiches, they also said you have to syn scan bran cakes and can't use your HEb for it. I would do that anyway, as I wouldnt waste a HEb on scan bran :p lol. But SW quiche??? why on earth would you need to syn that, it is just egg and cottage cheese and is part of a filling meal.

It is hardly surprising that we often see posts from sw members confused about the diet. I am for ever seeing different information given from consultants, i.e. you need to syn this, you dont need to syn this, you can do this that way or do this this way.

I am kind of glad I just doing SW online, so my advice comes from SW directly and no one else.

Does anyone else find this?

I have now seen a post on Facebook, claimg that a consultant has said we now need to syn SW quiches, they also said you have to syn scan bran cakes and can't use your HEb for it. I would do that anyway, as I wouldnt waste a HEb on scan bran :p lol. But SW quiche??? why on earth would you need to syn that, it is just egg and cottage cheese and is part of a filling meal.

My consultant last night told us it was ok so i'm sticking with it lol

I agree it's very confusing. Not just on synning stuff but also how many syns you're allowed. My last consultant told me to have 20 as I have so much to lose but my current one said 15. Some tell you to use them all, some say try not to use them all etc etc

There are so many areas that seem to be open to each individual consultants interpretation that it's no surprise there are often debates on here where people just can't agree x

I think there needs to be some dramatic changes, it is just making the plan too confusing for people and newbies will be scared off. When really if you stick to the simple rules it is easy. Slimming World really need to do some revision of this.

I have tried many diets in the past and I have never in my life seen such a mixture of information.

I think they are wrong not wanting to have there own forums. All they need to do is moderate it well and can then make sure the information being passed out is the correct one.

i wonder though with the quiche thing if maybe the consultant wasn't listening properly and was answering about the pasta n sauce Quiche? We all have off days.
But consultants are people and people are apt to try to make their mark!

mmm it is a mix isn't it, I have heard that they things that are syned (like pureed fruit) are dont so because its easier to over eat on them, so I could understand cakes and stuff having extra syns as its easy to over indulge in cake... however, I dont know anyone who would over eat quiche?! I mean, like you say, its part of a meal, and we rarely over eat at mealtimes, its usually the stuff inbetween missed or insuffient meals that causes the problem.

unless someone is intending to eat the whole thing, I think leaving the syns (or lack of) alone is mostly ok.

it is an easy diet, if we follow it as written and dont keep changing the rules every 5 min.

grrr rant rant, ;)

I am not sure how you would syn it anyway, as it is made from all free foods.

It probably is someone getting confused along the way somewhere, and it was the sw pasta quiche. But this is what I mean, so much mixed information. Which is going to happen when slimming world do not have their own forums to moderate the information being given out.

I think maybe its SW quiche used as snacks, in between meals? I think I read it that way. Probably fine as yoru main meal, but may hinder weight loss if eaten freely inbetween!

The problem lies with consultants not following the guidelines they are given and making it up as they go along to some extent. The same way as the level of support you get differs from consultant to consultant. I'm an ex consultant and think that a lot of the false info given has something to do with SW leaving consultants in the dark about a lot of things, like the real science behind the plan. I was always careful to give the official SW answers for everything, it makes me very angry when other consutlants make it up as they go along, they're undermining SW and making things harder for their members, possibly even sabotaging them.

I think the quiche issue is with regards to using pasta in sauce in a quiche, which is now a no-no. I did email SW about this to confirm and they said that if the quiche is used as a meal then it's okay but people use this as a snack item and this is not a good thing.

What I tend to do is email SW for confirmation on anything which I am confused about and I check the SW website - there's a lot of information on there which, to me, is the "official" line!

With regards to syns, after nearly 3 years I have recently been told that most women should be having 10 syns a day???

I think the quiche issue is with regards to using pasta in sauce in a quiche, which is now a no-no. I did email SW about this to confirm and they said that if the quiche is used as a meal then it's okay but people use this as a snack item and this is not a good thing.

What I tend to do is email SW for confirmation on anything which I am confused about and I check the SW website - there's a lot of information on there which, to me, is the "official" line!

With regards to syns, after nearly 3 years I have recently been told that most women should be having 10 syns a day???

Jaylou, I agree, I don't take notice of anything I read elsewhere, I just do what it tells me on bodyoptimise and stick to that. It just makes me cross, when I see time and time again mixed information being passed around, as it really does make it confusing for newbies and spoils it really.

It is either lack of information from SW to their consultants or consultants just making things up for themselves, which is not good as it then means mixed informaton everywhere.

It is not doing SW any favours really and as I love the plan so much, I want them to continue to be successful and hopefully one day come to Canada :p

it has to be said i too have heard mixed information, once i overheard a cover consultant tell a newbie that the EE plan works, but for example, if she had chilli con carni for lunch, she could have some more straight away, but not again 3 or 4 hours later..

this makes no sence.. and she didnt even explain. I didnt want to undermine her in front of newbie.. but the newbie didnt question either, just said ok and went away looking confused.

sw do need to hot up on this. I only listen to my consultant, and although she could be potentially giving me the wrong info, iv lost 4.5 stone thanks to her, and as she is activly following the plan herself, and always has been, always open and honest about her losses/gains, i dont see any reason to think she's give me false info unless she honestly didnt know. - which although sw change things all the time, if what was said in another thread is true, if they are updating there training every 18months, i cant see it'd be far wrong. x

I think the part of the problem lies in the fact that consultants often hear about changes from other consultants (or even members) and, rather than making it their business to find out from SW direct, they just assume its correct. Its like chinese whispers and, although I don't think for one minute that a consultant would deliberately mislead a member, they can misinterpret and come out with some very bizarre 'rules' which don't actually exist. As an ex- consultant myself, I've heard some ridiculous things! In every company, you have excellent workers and less able ones and everyone has different abilities. Unfortunately, when you work in a business where accurate information is essential, it can make that business look amateurish and sloppy. The consultant is on the front line and should make it his/her concern to be accurate at all times or have the courage to say 'I don't know but I'll find out'. I think sometimes, certain lazy consultants just find it easier to say what they think members want to hear rather than take the time and trouble to find out or to tune in to what they're being told by Head Office. Its a real problem but Britmum and Jaylou are right - just follow what you know to be true and check things out for yourself if you have any reason to think that the info may be wrong. xxxxx

I have heard a consultant say that if you are going to do Extra Easy you have to do it for the whole week, and you can't chop and change day by day with Green and Red. Not true - see page 5 of the book - but it is difficult to contradict a consultant in front of a class!

I don't have a lot of confidence in my consultant as she often doesn't seem to be up to speed on current information. I don't want to teach my grandma to suck eggs, but a few times I could have challenged information she's given in class - and have done once or twice, but don't want to look like a know-it-all when I don't!!

For example, this week she was actively encouraging members to make the pasta n sauce quiche with savoury rice as a base - "totally free and great as a snack"... A couple of weeks ago she was telling us pasta crisps are fab - I understood that they were frowned upon by SW now?

Much as I love Mini's for the great support and information, there's always a nagging doubt that what we read on here may not necessarily be true. If SW would just do their own forums it would give more of a guarantee that the info is correct.

Much as I love Mini's for the great support and information, there's always a nagging doubt that what we read on here may not necessarily be true. If SW would just do their own forums it would give more of a guarantee that the info is correct.

I totally agree with this, I have seen there blurb as to why they don't have forums, but I think they are doing themselves more damage by not having their own forum where they can moderate the content.

SW used to have their own forum but closed it down because they said that people were giving misleading or wrong information. To my recollection the forum was not moderated but then there is no financial benefit for them to set up their own, fully moderated forum. To make money they need people to join classes.

but then there is no financial benefit for them to set up their own, fully moderated forum. To make money they need people to join classes.

I am not sure I agree with that, I think they are doing themselves more harm, by not having their own forum, where they can at least moderate the information being passed around.

Just by not having their own forums, will not stop the misinformation which I see pretty much every single day and it isn't so bad for those that are fully aware of how the plan works, but for those new to the diet, it is enough to confuse anyone and put them off. People like a place of support online as well as in person (especially those who can't go to meetings) and they are kicking themselves in their own foot by not having one. So I do think it would be of financial benefit to them.

As I said in one of my earlier posts, I have done various other diets in the past and never have I seen such a mixed variation of information being given out by consultants and other members.

But you'd still have to be a class member or body optimise member to gain access to the forums, so they wouldn't be losing out in that sense... I have no idea how much it would cost to set up and run a proper forum (have only done free ones myself) but if people were getting the correct info, they may be more successful on the plan, ergo stay on it longer and be paying SW more money. I worry that the wrong info can be confusing, especially to those new to the plan and they give up before they've really got going...

Back