Moonlights' Meals

I made a milk choc version of the cocoa bark today - had close to run out of cocoa powder so the coconut flavor is more noticeable but not too bad for me and for coconut lovers it tastes like a bounty without the icky pulp bits.

2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp green and blacks cocoa powder
(I used less as I didn't have enough)
25 ml double cream
Sweetener of choice
Flavoring (optional)

Spoon out your 30g of coconut oil into your container.

View attachment 63259

Microwave for 30 secs until its a liquid oil (yesterday I only made it semi liquid, but it works better totally melted).

Mix in cocoa powder, sweetener and cream. I also added some vanilla essence.

View attachment 63260

The cream might seem to split at first but just keep mixing and it will blend. Make sure all the liquid is fully blended too and not just hiding at the corners of your tub.

View attachment 63261

Smooth it all down and pop in the freezer for a minimum of 10 mins. When it comes out it should be easily snappable. If you like you can score it into squares before you freeze.

View attachment 63262

With the addition of the cream and totally liquifying the oil it spread out to fill the whole bottom of the tub this time. I'm only going to be eating half - the equivalent of 1 tbsp of the oil - because 2 tbsp unsettled my stomach a tiny bit. I've heard coconut oil is something you should build up slowly but was over enthusiastic yesterday.

Again, it's very rich, half a tub is plenty.

Tofu crispy bites.

This is adapted from a Rose Elliot vegetarian low carb recipe. I used tofu as I had some around the house but I will most definitely be applying this recipe to chicken pieces in the near future.

It also uses a new ingredient: nutritional yeast flakes. I bought mine from amazon. It basically looks like fish food and tastes a little cheesy. It's a great replacement for breadcrumb.

1 block firm tofu, cut into strips about 1 inch long and 5mm wide
Japanese soya sauce
2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
2 tsp dried Parmesan
Garlic powder and salt to taste

Cut your tofu and place on a plate
Sprinkle each piece with soya sauce and leave to marinade for at least 10 mins.

Mix your NY, cheese, garlic powder and salt (you can use other seasoning mixes if preferred) and spread across a second plate.

Line a baking tray with tin foil and oil lightly.

Roll each tofu slice in the NY flake mix and place in baking tray.

Bake at 180(fan) for 40 mins or until brown and crispy.

Dip in mayo and consume!

The NY only has 1.8g carbs in 2 tbs. carb counts on tofu vary by brand - but you can always try this with chicken - I will be!

View attachment 69989

View attachment 69990

Gonna try those cupcakes today x

Spring onion pancakes

This uses almond flour/ground almonds so it's not for induction I'm afraid.

40g ground almonds
2 medium eggs
Garlic powder
Salt
Pepper
Big handful spring onions
Water
Sesame oil

Mix the eggs with the ground almonds and add water until you have a reasonably loose batter. Stir in salt, pepper, garlic powder and chopped spring onions.

Heat toasted sesame oil in a hot hot pan. Dollop a couple of big spoonfuls of batter into the pan and fry until golden brown on one side. Flip and repeat.

Repeat until batter is used up. Slice your pancakes and serve with soya sauce to dip into. Yummy! I think they'd also be nice cold for lunches.

View attachment 70886

Oopsie Swiss pancakes - induction friendly

You will need:

2 large eggs, separated
50g soft cream cheese
Spoonful of flax
Pinch of baking powder
Butter
Liquid sweetener and flavourings to taste.

Put the yolks in one bowl with the cream cheese, baking powder and flax. Add liquid sweetener to taste and a dash of any flavouring you like - I used French vanilla. Mix until smooth.

Using a hand blender, blend the whites until stiff peaks form.

View attachment 75273

Fold the yolks into the whites, keeping the mix as fluffy as possible. The mix won't be smooth, just light and lumpy.

View attachment 75274

Cover a baking tray with greased parchment paper and smooth your mix onto it in one even later - the thicker your layer the thicker your pancakes will be, so not too thin.

View attachment 75275

Pop into a preheated oven (fan 180 for me) for 10 minutes or until brown on top and you should be able to stick a knife in the middle and pull it out clean.

View attachment 75276

You can see my layer wasn't completely flat but it flattens out as it cools.

Cut into squares - I got four from one mixture which is two servings of two pancakes each.

Warm a frying pan to medium and fry your pancake squares until lightly browned on both sides.

Top with a pat of butter and davinci pancake syrup - or with cream, or with cocoa powder, or with eggs and bacon, or whatever you'd like.

Enjoy!

View attachment 75277

Sesame five spice chicken

You'll need:

1 precooked skinless chicken breast
5 spice powder
Toasted sesame oil
Salt
Pepper

Note: you don't need to use chicken breast for this, any leftover chicken is great. You can also use diced raw chicken breast but it doesn't get as crispy.

In a bowl, mix the chicken with the toasted sesame oil, five spice, and salt and pepper to taste. I use about 1 teaspoon of five spice.

Preheat a frying pan to high and fry the chicken until golden brown with very crispy edges.

Serve with veg - I like asparagus cooked in the same pan.

image-2715578938.jpg

Hi moonlights your recipes sound yum!

I'm new to this but cream cheese, can this be Philadelphia?? Also are you allowed hallumi cheese and tinned chopped tomatoes??

Hi Laura - just answered part of this in the other forum:

I personally use marks and Spencer's soft cheese as its lower carb than Philly - but Philly is fine too.

Be a bit wary of tinned tomatoes, they're ok occasionally but they're quite carby and you must remember to count them in to your daily allowance. Often using something like Gia
tomato paste will do just to add a little tomato flavour. I also use marks and spencers tomato and sweet garlic pasta sauce - I only ever have half a jar in a day, which is just under 4g carbs.

Halloumi again is carbier than other cheeses. It's okay now and then but weigh how much you have and count the carbs - technically I think halloumi, like cottage cheese, isn't recommended for induction.

Here to subscribe. Fab recipes.

I'm thinking of starting Atkin's next month. I'm doing alot of reading up on it at the moment. These recipes will come in handy. I could'nt bare to just have salad's for the first two week's. Thanks again.

Back