Moonlights' (temporary) Maintenance

True true, I meant more a simple taste rather than anything rich, but have been ok today.

Lots of smallish meals:

Chicken breast
30g cheddar
Spring onion
Mayo

Button mushrooms
Fried egg yolk

2 slices Parma ham

300g cauli
60g spreadable cheese
Tsp mustard

Mug of alpro

29g carbs on mfp

image-2529568301.jpg

Evening ML... Hope your tum is settled. Xx

Yum is right! :)

My oopsies never come out looking that good......................only on this forum could that sentence be inoffensive :D

Pics above are my first attempt at baking with glucomannan powder.

Glucomannan powder is (very expensive and) what shiratake noodles are made from. It's just ground yam root - pure fibre practically zero calorie zero carb.

It is CRAZY stuff - 1 tsp added to a mug of water will turn the water into a gel. This makes it a fab thickening agent. I found a recipe for cheesy bread using this powder and as I'm fine with zero noodles but concerned about flax decided to try making it.

It's pretty decent. The texture is really bready - you can see from the air holes in the bread - but I used too much Parmesan and so it tastes a little strong. I made a tomato sandwich with it though (using 2 cherry toms) and it tastes exactly like a cheese and tomato sandwich. So, pretty perfect.

I'm going to try it with less or no cheese next time and see what that's like. Will also make the calories MUCH lower.

Recipe I used this time:

2 large eggs
1 TBsp olive oil
2 TBsp water
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp garlic salt/other seasoning
70g grated Parmesan
2 tsp glucomannan powder

Use electric whisk to beat eggs

Slowly add oil, water, baking powder

Add glucomannan powder VERY SLOWLY beating all the time. If you mix in too much too suddenly you'll get lumps.

Whisk until the texture is like very thick custard.

Whisk in cheese.

Drop heaps onto a greased baking tray to make circular burger style buns.

Drop a larger heap and spread into a square for a bread slice.

Drop a larger heap and spread into a circle for a pizza base.

Bake for 10 mins or until golden in fan oven at 200.

Alternatively (I tested this with my last spoonful) you can fry the mix in butter in a frying pan. Won't come out as bready but like a pancake or Yorkshire pud. Would be good with cooked breakfast to soak up egg yolk, or with roast dinner. (probably best without cheese - will update when I test this).

My mix made 3 smallish hamburger bun tops and two bread slice sized squares. I should think you could do 4 bread slices easily.

Full mix was 620 cals, 5g carbs.

Very filling thanks to the glucomannan powder.

Yes, you can make sweet puddings really easily just by whisking the powder with sweetened, flavored alpro. Goes to an American 'pudding' consistency.

Oh ml pics look delicious, can almost smell the buns! Where did you buy the powder? Never heard of it before :)

I bought it on amazon - now glucomannan powder - be careful you get pure powder not capsules. People use it as an appetite suppressant in capsule firm because the fibre swells in your tummy and you feel full.

Personally I'd rather have tasty cheese bread swelling in my tummy, and it has the same filling effect.

Evening ML... Pics look amazing and that gluco stuff sounds excellent!! Xxx

Ooooof I have eaten soooooooo much today good grief.

30g Edam
30g salami

1/2 the cheese bread mix posted earlier
Butter and 2 baby toms
Marmite

Celery with roule cheese
Strip of red pepper

Beef brisket strips

Dusted haddock fillet
250g celeriac chips

Mug of alpro

Mfp: 34 g carbs (and 1600 cals!)

Higher on both than I prefer to be. Still keep getting mega hungry moments, though at least I'm back in ketosis now.

Found/finding it harder this time round thanks to the hunger.

Evening ML... I'm hungry too... I think that article is so accurate! Hope the hunger goes... Xxx

Technically that article and the science behind it seems to be saying that calorie restriction is a bad idea and strengthening the argument for low carbing (just skimmed the mail argument but have read lots on this study).

When you restrict calories, even if it's not hugely - you create a calorie deficit that makes your body think there isn't enough food around. Your body gradually rewrites itself the more you lose into being more hungry and more obsessed with food - reasoning that when supplies are plentiful again you'll need to build up fat reserves for the next period of famine.

Low carb isn't about calorie restriction. Technically on low carb you should lose even at maintenance level calories because you'll have changed the type of fuel your body burns. So your body doesn't assume it's starving and shouldn't trigger you to overeat in the way it might after giving up a low calorie diet. At 'the very least the effect shouldn't be -as bad- if you lose weight low carbing.

I suspect the problem is most of us did low calorie first.

Still I don't really like the suggestion that dieters are 'doomed' to regain or that we can't help ourselves when it comes to giving in to cravings. It makes it harder and it can feel like the odds are against us but people can and do lose weight and keep it off. We can all do it, it would just be nice if people appreciated what a fight it is instead of saying it's laziness, greediness or just a case of eating less/ moving more.

Being overweight, I feel more and more, is not an issue of how intelligent, how disciplined, how good we are as human beings - though that seems to be how the world judges us. It's a question of luck.

It's a complex business, this weight thing. I don't believe it's ever quite as simple as 'eat less, move more'.

Last edited:
Instead of my usual hot sweet alpro:

250 ml alpro unsweetened soya milk
Dash of butterscotch essence
Canderel tablets dissolved in 1 tbsp hot water
1/2 tsp glucomannan powder

= butterscotch pudding

55 calories, 1g carb

Came out slightly grainy but v. Edible. I think I a) used too much gluc and b) should ideally have whisked the mix in a bowl rather than fork-mixed in a cup.

Tastes just like the alpro/provamel butterscotch puddings they make, which I used to eat daily.

Edit: managed about 5 tspful before I was too full to finish. I think I'll only do this in tiny amounts in future as it's so filling and the fibre is very, well, gut cleansing, so I don't want to overdose! 100ml & 1/4 tsp powder should be about right. Or 200ml & 1/4 tsp for a thinner consistency.

Incidentally, I fully expect to retain some water with all this fibre.

image-2468022467.jpg

image-1870462499.jpg

Last edited:
I can lie here and stare at walls all day and night but the idea of taking this opportunity, feeling tired but clearly not tired enough, to do some actual work is an anathema. Really, I must shake this mood. :/

Back