Moonlights' (temporary) Maintenance

I have to say the iamnotti are probably my most successful bake so far - not because they're exactly like amaretti - they're not, you won't get that crisp finish they have without sugar and they're nowhere near as crunchy although I think a higher ratio of almond to egg white would make them much crunchier.

But I think you could take them to a bake sale and no one would guess they were low carb. They might not know what they were... But they taste good! I'm giving the almond flour a break for a few days now though. Might make some for monday as I'll be out and away from low carb friendly supplies.

Have ordered some coconut oil so will be poking round with that once it arrives.

I don't think I'll weigh in tomorrow. Am still having to take painkillers or I can't sleep - have cut them right down and weigh is creeping back off but still 2lb up. that's despite needing a wee every 20 minutes all night! Flipping water retention.

It is sooooooooooooo coooooooooold today. I know I'm never warm with all my deficiencies but really. Sooooooooooooo cooooooooooooold. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Ooh, well with that write up I shall certainly bake some iamnotti biscuits over the weekend. I have to say that I am finding the coconut oil fabulous. So much so that I now buy it in 800g jars. Hope you warm up soon, not sure where you are, but quite warm here x

Wow those biscuits sound great, my 2 weeks of induction finishes on sat, but I am going to carry on for one more week, then I will be adding nuts,so almond flour here I come.

I'm in London, sunny but cold.

What do you do with your coconut oil, supersmiley? I'll be brand new to it so tips welcome - it seems a good way to get fat ratios up.

I use 7g a day in my morning low carb breakfast shake, I cook with it; it's great at high temperatures. I use it for frying stir fries or meat, have also added it into cream before now too. It all sounds so decadent, doesn't it! I believe you can also use it on the skin, and it's great for split ends...

Yes I've heard it does wonders for skin too. And for bad teeth! Well fingers crossed I can tolerate it - I'm not a big fan of coconut but there's no pulp so it should be ok.

Iamnotti biscuits

These are something I came up with on a whim after looking at a recipe for amaretti biscuits.

1 egg white
35g almonds
Sweetener of choice
Flavoring of choice (I used almond)

Whisk egg white to stiff peaks then carefully fold in the almonds and sweetener. Put walnut sized spoonfuls on a greased baking tray and pop in oven until golden brown. For me it was 15 mins at 180.

Quantities of egg whites to almonds could be adjusted, I was just using what I had lying round, but the texture was nice - not crispy all the way through like real amaretti but crispy round the outside and spongy in the middle - very tasty.

Note: this is an owl recipe, not technically suited for induction.

View attachment 63042

OMG they look soooooooooooo good! Thank you for sharing the recipe, i will give it a go after induction x

They look amazing ML!! Wow! Now I'm really hungry! And I love the title of your recipe! Made me chuckle lol would ground almonds work do you think?

Oops, ground almonds are what I used!

Food today:

350g courgette noodles with soft cheese and blue cheese sauce

Venison steak, scrambled egg, spring onion, 2 cherry toms

Pancetta and cheddar snacks (roll pancetta round a small stick of cheese and grill)

Flax porridge

Mfp: 27g carbs including my meds

Not a bad day and low appetite finally after being starving Marvin the last couple of days.

Loving the pancetta / cheese stick wraps !!! Fan-blooming-tastic idea ML! Thank goodness appetite gone!! That's a relief! Xx

I'd be scared of an electric blanket catching fire! I just go to bed in my winter jumpers :)

Pancetta and cheese wraps are so yummy - pancetta works better than bacon as its so thin but a small strip of bacon would work and may be more filling.

Right. Desperate to get my sleep schedule back on track, so let's have a go...

Well sleep failed, it was 4am when I last checked the clock. But!! I wasn't going to weigh in today but I finally decided I may as well and, miracle of miracles, 12 stone 6 1/2lbs.

So I am down a full half a pound from posted, woo hoo. Haha not much but considering I was 7lbs up after taking my painkillers on Sunday it's shocked me. I'm still taking them but trying to keep it to one a day so who knows what this week will bring.

Not adjusting my weight on here as I don't actually count half pounds but felt it was worth a mention.

This week will be tricky - out at the theatre late weds night, at the O2 late Sat night and possibly a country fair on Sunday. Out on Monday too but not late. I do prefer being able to control things at home but will be doing my best.

Well done, it's half a pound in the right direction.
Made iamnotti biscuits, they are lovely. Might bake them longer next time to get them like biscotti.

I have a fan oven which seems to get extra hot so temperatures and lengths are always a little bit hit and miss - I don't think mine would have dried out much more but I think a higher almond ratio might have made them crunchier. I'll experiment but also really liked them as they were.

Agreed. They were great as they were. I ate mine hot, but interested to see how they are cold. Might also be nice with dess coconut instead of almonds, or even with flaked almonds.

Back