Moonlights' (temporary) Maintenance

I don't like coconut so wont be trying that version ;) it definitely needs the ground almonds for the texture but you could also add some bigger pieces. I also think they'd be nice with a raspberry or blueberry popped in the middle of each.

Speaking of coconut - my coconut oil came today and I've decided how I'll be eating it ;)

Cocoa bark refrigerator candy

2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp green and blacks cocoa powder
Sweetener of choice (liquid is best)
Flavoring (optional)

I only used 1/2 a tbsp of cocoa because my supplies are running low and it was fine, so do experiment.

Take a plastic container suitable for freezing and spoon 30g (2tbsp) coconut oil into it. Microwave for 10 seconds to melt. Stir in sweetener, cocoa powder and flavoring and mix very thoroughly.

Spread to desired thickness and put in the freezer for 10 minutes minimum, or as long as you like.

You essentially get a thin chocolate bar out of this. When you take it out of the freezer you can snap bits off to eat - its very rich so I'll only be eating a couple of bits at a time. Store in fridge or freezer and snap more off when you want it. Eat within 10 minutes of taking out of freezer as the oil melts fast.

290 calories
0.8g carbs

Obviously it's not low cal though this is for 2 tbsp - you could have less. But it's a great way of getting fat ratios up and an incredibly healthy fat known to be conducive in maintaining ketosis.

Anyway I'll be trialling it for a while to see how it goes.

Thoughts: am going to try making a mint version with a davinci syrup

It's slightly bitter so adding a dash of alpro or cream might be worthwhile.

I might eventually also try mixing in unsweetened almond butter - but only if I want to replace a whole meal with it.

Half a portion (so 1 tbsp) is this much (on a saucer)

image-1352386053.jpg

image-2388029371.jpg

Sorry pics are crap, had no light and was trying to do 30 things at once.

Here's the whole 2 tbsp portion

image-1256997003.jpg

(this recipe is fully suitable for induction)

Last edited:
Think I will be trying these too

Foooood today:

Flax porridge

Salami crisps with celeriac chips and mayo

Duck confit with cucumber and spring onion and mayo

Cocoa bark

Mfp: 27g carbs today

image-1968395229.jpg

Those cocoa barks look amazing - cant wait to try them! Val - I've been using cocoanut oil for at least 6 months - love it!

Well done on the .5 loss ML xxx

I eat loads, stubbsey! Today's calories are 1638 if it helps - bear in mind the cocoa bark is a smallish but high calorie thing. 3 meals plus a snack is pretty substantial though.

How do you use your coconut oil, Di?

Thanks for posting that ML yumm to a berry popped into the middle.

The bark makes great Christmas gifts too, wrapped up in a little tin.

Have a good day ML :)

That recipe looks yummy ....need to get some coconut oil....well done on the 1/2 lb loss xx

I made a milk choc version of the cocoa bark today - had close to run out of cocoa powder so the coconut flavor is more noticeable but not too bad for me and for coconut lovers it tastes like a bounty without the icky pulp bits.

2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp green and blacks cocoa powder
(I used less as I didn't have enough)
25 ml double cream
Sweetener of choice
Flavoring (optional)

Spoon out your 30g of coconut oil into your container.

image-1354128196.jpg

Microwave for 30 secs until its a liquid oil (yesterday I only made it semi liquid, but it works better totally melted).

Mix in cocoa powder, sweetener and cream. I also added some vanilla essence.

image-1263449555.jpg

The cream might seem to split at first but just keep mixing and it will blend. Make sure all the liquid is fully blended too and not just hiding at the corners of your tub.

image-511407938.jpg

Smooth it all down and pop in the freezer for a minimum of 10 mins. When it comes out it should be easily snappable. If you like you can score it into squares before you freeze.

image-2058110355.jpg

With the addition of the cream and totally liquifying the oil it spread out to fill the whole bottom of the tub this time. I'm only going to be eating half - the equivalent of 1 tbsp of the oil - because 2 tbsp unsettled my stomach a tiny bit. I've heard coconut oil is something you should build up slowly but was over enthusiastic yesterday.

Again, it's very rich, half a tub is plenty.

Haha - mine is coconoil from amazon but you can get it in health food shops. Don't love me until you've tried it!

I got the recipe from a website supporting the parents of severely epileptic children. Amazingly their epilepsy can be controlled by maintaining a high fat version of Atkins - called nutritional ketosis - their fat ratio is more like 75-80 percent a day with lower protein and carbs about the same as induction. But because they're children the exact number of grams of protein/fat/carbs has to be worked out by a dietician and worked into every meal. The effort these parents put into planning food so their children can live a normal life made me cry.

They also make things like Easter eggs out of this recipe, using molds. And they sometimes use butter as the oil instead of coconut oil - not something I've tried but maybe I will at some point, it would taste less coconutty, but coconut oil has these MCTs - medium chain triglycerides that are supposed to be so good for you.

You should def start a blog, I would follow it, for someone who says they are not a great cook you come up with some delicious receipes. Well done on the loss, your meds must be a nightmare.

Oof, haven't watched casualty/holby city for years and years but just caught the end and wound up crying over its outrageous soapy plotline. I'm such a sap.

Food today waaas:

Salami crisps with celeriac chips and mayo

Bacon and a boiled egg with butter, cherry tomato

Smoked salmon mousse with salad

Cocoa bark

Mfp says: 26g carbs inc meds

Ohhh ! did u make salmon mousse, receipe please, I love salmon, always looking for new ways of eating it.

Nope, bought it from marks and spencers. But cream cheese & smoked salmon with a bit of lemon and maybe some chives in a blender would do it I think.

I'm. So. Coooooooooooooooold.

How am I going to survive winter when I can't deal with September? Gosh.

Also so tired. 3 hrs sleep. Can't let myself nap as I have things to do and a long day tomorrow so really really need to sleep tonight.

Which I probably won't manage anyway.

Ffft.

It is really chilly today, shame I didn't do my washing yesterday...get those bedsocks out and warm up, hun! xxx

And have some lovely warming soup...

Back