Moonlights' (temporary) Maintenance

Evening ML... Sorry you're feeling rubbish again!

You are the Fanny Craddock of the forum ! Great ideas!

Susie... You just keep getting better! Lol xxx

Gosh, hope I'm not like Fanny personality wise, eep!

I actually can't cook at all. When not low carbing I just do pasta with jarred sauce, or beans or soup & toast! Terrible cook, not very interested in cooking either.

Think I'm trying things now to keep my interest in the diet and because if I have food planned it helps me keep on track. I do constantly wish Atkins food was simpler, but I just find the simplest recipes I can, follow them, and cross my fingers they turn out edible.

Food today-

Asparagus quiche

Quarter pounder (no bun)

Honduran prawns and more quiche

Alpro/gluc pudding

Mfp Inc meds: 27g carbs

I'm pretty sure my raised appetite and cravings are pms related. They're lessening now, but today there was a bag of 'sports gums' sweets lying around. I picked out a purple one, put it in my mouth, chewed once, realized I was being stupid and spat it in the bin.

Such a crazy person.

Asparagus quiche:

3 eggs
100 ml cream
100g asparagus (would be better with more)
10g chopped spring onion
30g mature cheddar

Soften asparagus in frying pan over medium heat. Put in bottom of dish. Sprinkle 3/4 cheese on top.

Mix eggs, cream, onions and salt and pepper. Pour over asparagus. Top with remaining cheese.

25 mins fan oven 180 - 2 servings

To be honest I might not bother again. Making an omelette with asparagus on the side would be far faster - but I wanted two portions, one for morning one for evening.

Today was also my first attempt at cooking prawns. Hopefully I won't die. Did them in butter and sprinkled garlic salt.

image-2655388247.jpg

image-4183608977.jpg

image-282562011.jpg

( I should probably mention that glass dish is very small and I only ever eat off a side plate - probably looks like it would feed four!)

image-3427624154.jpg

Last edited:
Your quiche looks great ML. Anything with cheese is a winner for me ;)

I prefer prawns cooked over cold, cooked in some cream and curry powder. I don't think I ever ate a cold prawns in my life before I came to England 8yrs ago.

For someone who doesn't like cooking you are doing a mighty fine job sister! Definitely hidden talent you have there.

Morning ML... Perhaps it was a very bad analogy ... Oops! Lol xx

That quiche looks amazing - very appetising! Xxx

I have to admit the second portion of quiche was extra lovely, when the cheesy, oniony flavors had had time to develop. Maybe it was worth the effort after all.

I find the texture of cold prawns a little strange. My favourites are the tandoori king prawns from the Indian, but they cost a fortune so wee small ones it is.

Where did you move from, TT?

moonlights said:
I have to admit the second portion of quiche was extra lovely, when the cheesy, oniony flavors had had time to develop. Maybe it was worth the effort after all.

I find the texture of cold prawns a little strange. My favourites are the tandoori king prawns from the Indian, but they cost a fortune so wee small ones it is.

Where did you move from, TT?

Hmmm tandoori prawns... I can feel a curry coming up today.

I'm from Sunny South Africa. There we only really eat seafood with lemon butter and garlic.. And heaps of it. Seafood is almost a staple in most households. Possibly the only thing I miss of SA apart from my family and the weather.

Quiche sounds yum:). Agree that you are doing a ton of cooking - we have settled into a nice stable life of meat (fish/poultry) and two veg:D

Everything I'm making seems to be full of egg thesedays and I'm not even much of an egg fan, but it's cheaper than meat at every meal. This woe does start to add up.

More experiments in egg today...

TT - I have some friends from Oz who feel the same about British seafood. We don't have a huge seafood culture here - I for one have no clue about most fish - I think it just seems nicer and more natural when you're somewhere hot with giant prawns and brightly colored treats in all the markets.

Fish is such a worry in terms of supply, too. Rick Stein thinks the oceans are running out fast. But also thinks we should eat more. Hmmm.

As someone who is allergic to all shellfish and most fish, I used to eat a lot of canned tuna (can't eat tuna steaks for some odd reason) to get my intake of omega 3 etc - but Teetiefunk here worried me about the amount of mercury that is supposed to be in it!

I have tuna now and then but probably only once every few months. It's a bit too strong a taste for me to want it regularly, though my cat thinks it's the best thing ever. I tend not to be too worried by food health scares TBH - everything can apparently kill you somehow, so may as well enjoy it while it does. I think you're meant to keep off it when pregnant but once a week or so normally wouldn't worry me. The Japanese eat it by the trawler load after all.

Sustainability is definitely a huge worry here. Too much of the product goes to big corps for battering and packaging. In SA we hardly ever eat battered fish. We have it grilled or barbecued. Served with rice and salad. Fish and chips is a twice a year treat ;)

I think here the good stuff goes elsewhere.
The best thing about fish and seafood is it cooks so easily and it's full of good stuff. Not everyone is a fan. I'll have it everyday if I could.

We literally never had fish when I was growing up, so it's a matter of training my palate to deal with it, and getting over the fear of eating/cooking new things. If someone would cook fish for me I'd probably eat and enjoy it more.

I know I like pollock, salmon, haddock, tuna, plaice, red gurnard, scallops and prawns. But of those the only ones I'm confident cooking are scallops and tuna. Every time I try to cook plaice it comes out awful.

Meanwhile I am currently eating the most delicious dinner I've had on Atkins - and it's vegetarian. Omg I'm so happy with it and it's super simple. Details etc later xx

Looking forward to the details. And pics ;)

Ok so am putting my menu up now even though I haven't eaten my tea yet just so I can talk about lunch!

Today's food:

4 cheesecake cupcakes (may eat the last two as well)

250g zoodles cooked in butter with
200g marks and spencers tomato sauce
30g Cornish cruncher cheddar

Venison fillet
Button mushrooms

Mug of alpro

MFP carb count: 27g including 11g from my meds.

Well. Cheesecake cupcakes... Not posting a recipe as they didn't turn out quite right - I oversweetened, made them too soggy and accidentally dropped a metric buttload of vanilla essence into the mix. But they're basically cream cheese and eggs and I'll recipe them up once I get them how I want them. These were edible but just not right.

image-887999898.jpg

image-2247839841.jpg

Then.... ZOODLES. Omg. I knew I liked courgettes and that they'd be nice with sauce but these were amazing and absolutely hit the spot that usually misses tomato soup / spaghetti with marinara. Two smallish courgettes made a big plateful (it is a side plate, but as you'll see, it's stacked) and along with the marks and sparks sauce which isnt my mums home made but is delicious it made a fab meal.

250g courgettes
200g m&s tomato and basil pasta sauce
30g mature cheddar
Butter

Julienne the courgettes. You can take a mandolin and make ribbons, then slice them thinner, or use a julienne cutter - I used a spiralo spiral slicer but honestly, however you want to cut them is fine as long as the pieces are cut finely so they get tender.

image-2077689538.jpg

This really gave them the noodle look though and made a nice bowlful which I popped in a colander and salted. Do salt the courgettes, it changes their texture and makes them more tender.

image-2142991917.jpg

image-320017927.jpg

Pop the colander over a bowl and leave the courgettes to sweat for 15-20 mins. Then rinse and pat them dry.

Heat butter in a medium-high pan, add the zoodles and toss them around for maybe 5 minutes until they're tender and have absorbed the butter. Add a sprinkling of garlic salt if you like it.

Pop on a plate.

image-3798593578.jpg

Pour 200mls of your pasta sauce into the pan. It is 2.1g carbs per 100mls and the jar is 380mls, so about half the jar. To be honest it's strong flavoured stuff so you could get away with 100mls if you wanted - I really missed tomato sauces though. 200mls for me!

Heat the sauce through, pour over zoodles. Sprinkle cheese on top.

DEVOUR.

image-3990024990.jpg

image-2916043566.jpg

Honestly this was the nicest meal I've had in ages. I don't miss pasta so much as I miss a big, comforting, gooey tomatoey plate, and while shirataki noodles are good for Asian flavors they don't hold tomato sauces well.

This does. It doesn't taste all vegetably, the courgettes just make a slightly al dente buttery base for the toppings. It was a big, filling plateful and at the end I felt full and satisfied without any heaviness or bloated feelings.

Mainly it was just so so tasty. All for approx 9g carbs - about the same as 300g cauliflower. I will be having this regularly.

You could also half the quantities and it would make a great side dish with some chicken or other meat.

And I've probably rambled on enough about a recipe which us essentially: chop and heat vegetable. Pour on sauce.

image-2995598999.jpg

Look fantastic ml, mouth watering just looking at your pics, I need to get a gadget to cut the courgettes, I have a couple in the fridge so know what I am having for tea tomorrow!
Thanks for posting :)

Potato peeler would probably work fine! You might want to discard the layers that are just outer peel though - the good thing with the spiral cutter is you get a mix of outer bits and middle bits.

Daft question ml, when you say put colander over bowl, is that a bowl of hot water?

Back