Moonlights' (temporary) Maintenance

Big hugs, not surprised you keeled over, after someone dig away at your arm, you poor love!

Mentally sending you a big bowl of courgette soup xxxx

Mmmm soup. I wish I had some courgettes in - plan for tomorrow (well today since its gone 2am) was to have included the other half of that manky beef. Now I don't know what I'll have most of the day, not got much in, not feeling up to going out and my stomach is feeling a bit sensitive. Will poke around the freezer later.

Food today ended up as:

250g celeriac dipped in beef jus

20g brie, 20g wensleydale, 10g stilton, 20g edam, spoonful of peanut butter

1/2 pack bacon

Mfp: 20g carbs inc meds

Was it the treatment ML? I felt sick when I went to bed and the same this morning but just put today down to being hungry. I know there are some bugs about. Rug up and get well soon xx

Hi I hope you are feeling better and have the energy to feed yourself.....

Am pretty sure it was the treatment yes. The old one used to cause allergic reactions which this new formula isn't meant to but the body still finds it rough having that dose of iron slamming into the body all at once.

All that and it will take a couple of weeks for me to start feeling the effects. Pah.

Yep, looked up side effects and nausea and stomach cramps are common. Annoying as this new treatment is meant to be less side effecty than the last.

Been forcing food today. Haven't wanted it but have needed it. The smell and taste of meat is really turning my stomach but had defrosted a 2 pack of venison so had to gag down 1 today and 1 tomorrow, otherwise I'd have two veggie days.

Cheese on toasted almond bread was a good option though. 500 calories, not a large portion and a bit comfort foody. Still hurt my stomach though.

So:

Venison steak, couple of mushrooms, spring onion

Cheese on almond toast

Flax porridge

Alpro hot chocolate

Mfp: 24g carbs inc meds

image-2563897054.jpg

Hope you are feeling better soon Moonlight *hugs* I would say don't worry about forcing food down if you're feeling really sick and just go with what you feel your body needs (that fits into low carbing of course). Especially if you're nauseated eating the wrong thing can just make it worse, and meat is very heavy on the stomach.

I've also fainted following blood tests myself, and that cold disorientation is awful. I think it definitely helps to have an experienced nurse. I also now have some numbing cream to rub into the area before giving blood, which really helps.

Overall not a good few days for you :( I do hope your weekend is much better..

LadyB xx

That's the thing, I have blood panels every few weeks, have IV lines put in every few months, spent weeks in hospital etc etc. i should be the most laid back person in the world when it comes to needles. I think it was a combo of not having slept and my blood pressure being particularly low plus the general dislike of the whole process. My regular phlebotomist for blood panels is fantastic. They're much more rushed at the MDU.

I have to force food to a degree, can't afford to get weak from anything else right now! And can't refreeze the venison so it must be eaten. Do need to check with my GP about my blood pressure, not sure why it's dropped so much.

I used to have a friend who was always getting on at me for salting my food. Now all my doctors tell me to eat more salt!

Am just laying around catching up on tv. It's been weeks since I've had a chance to watch any. I shouldn't really be lazing round now but my head is swimming, there's no chance of getting anything coherent written.

You have to wait two weeks for the Irn Bru to take effect? I was hoping for your sake it would be a lot quicker...like, now! :( I've been anaemic a few times in my life and I know how absolutely wiped out it makes you feel...horrible.

How long does the infusion last once it kicks in?

I hope you are getting some sleep and begin to feel better soon.

Been reading instead, even that's hard with my head woozy. No fun. Scrummie - the infusion takes up to 4 weeks to hit its maximum peak, so I'll be getting the maximum effect early december, then I'll be having my next infusion in Jan. Trouble it I'm trying to get my infusions/injections coordinated so I can have them all at the same time rather than going in all the time for different things and always being deficient in one thing while another is ok. Which means all my other levels will be getting lower and lower till Jan when hopefully I'll have an (unpleasnt but) coordinated session of infusions.

Weekly weigh in: 11st 5lbs - so a loss this week of 3lbs.

Irritatingly I had lost an extra lb before my infusion on weds and day of barely being able to eat. I'll never entirely understand why not eating enough can make you (seemingly) gain, but it does.

Still! I'm now in the 150's - 159lbs down from 204 and I've lost 45lbs total which isn't shabby at all.

In fact looking at my weight tracker I was 12st 1lb on 7th october so that's... 10lbs lost in a month? Which is practically VLCD levels for me. Never feels that fast when you're actually losing it though, does it. I've felt like this month was slow, in fact.

I had, as I've mentioned before, planned to take a diet break over halloween/bonfire night but then decided not to to make the best of any losses - of course i stsed that week and as I'd been feeling glum anyway I felt EXTRA glum. But in the end I'm glad I didn't give in to temptation and I'm glad I didn't take the break. I need to make the best of November as December won't be a month I have a chance of losing in.

Last edited:
Nearly a stone in a month Moonlight, that's brilliant! You're doing great! I think you're right about skipping that break in October. I'm regretting my own deviations deeply now lol. I wanna be losing as much as you!

However, I have been eating a couple of sugar free sweets a night this week..is isomalt bad on this diet?

It's funny what your doctor's are saying about the salt!

LadyB xx

Isomalt is a sugar alcohol but it's one of the better ones, the blood sugar impact is low (as compared to say maltitol where you absorb 75 percent of it exactly as you would sugar).

A couple of isomalt based sweets in a day doesn't sound terrible to me - might slow you ever so slightly as, whatever the blood sugar impact, polyols are an easier access fuel for your body than fat is so it will grab that little bit of isomalt and burn it before carrying on burning fat. But one or two in a day isn't much and if it keeps you from eating something that would take you out of ketosis, it's preferable to that.

I actually have some isomalt sweetened butterscotch somewhere - I have one if I've been sick but I don't need them anymore as a snack or anything.

Back