Moonlights' (temporary) Maintenance

Butternut squash is delicious - especially in soups (with nutmeg mmm) and roasted :)

Lovely menu, as always ML - you've got me fancying some roast chicken now :)

Hi! Just dropping by, busy few days and completely drained but have to get myself moving again tomorrow. Flipping fatigue.

Hope alls well. I'll be back around soon & catch up with you all then.

Hi all - still noodling along and still busy busy - checking in from the train if it will let me post. Nothing very interesting to report - up a little bit weight wise but not going to wrestle with it pre-Easter.

Hi guys!

Sorry for radio silence, hard to find time & energy to check in lately for various reasons but I'm going to try to be better about it.

Eating is drifting back to the lower end of low carb just now - I do find it much harder to stay disciplined when I allow myself a higher carb range - I think I really am the definition of an all or nothing person. Just worrying as I do need to find a middle ground at some point.

Anyway so mostly eating >30g carbs with the odd day a bit higher, just now. Still more a maintenance plan than a loss plan.

Newly discovered favorites are:

Morrisons beefy drink (a bit marmitey, just under 1g carb a mug)

Alpro simply plain yogurt (scrummy recommended the vanilla, which was lovely, then I bought this by accident and found its delicious with a little sweetener mixed in and much lower carb - about 2g per 100g. Only 50 calories per 100g too - result!)

Have just (yes at 4am) put a pork shoulder in the slow cooker to see how it turns out. Haven't tried it before but I got a 1kg boneless joint in morrisons for £3.09 and it was too big a bargain to miss.

Morrisons are fab for meat prices. I wish I had one nearer.

Oh! I also noticed the carb values on the 'new' quorn chicken pieces are much lower than they were - fab news as I love them.

Hope everyones well, hope to catch up soon xx

So lovely to see you back, hun xxxxx

That's an excellent price for the pork! I don't have a Morrisons near me either, but I read somewhere they are going to introduce home delivery? How did the pork taste in the slow cooker?

Hope you get some sleep today, big hugs :bighug:

Hi ML all sounds good. I love a Morrison's shop, but find it difficult to avoid the yummy salad bar.

Interesting on the quorn, I've been eating the pepperoni on lc pizzas. :)

Pork was delicious! Though I took offhand discarded the skin (could have made crackling but I don't like it that much) so there was a little less than I thought but still plenty.

What I like to do with slow cooked meat esp pork and brisket is, when they're falling apart tender from the slow cooker I pull the meat into shreds then fry it. You don't need to add any oil as they're both fatty cuts but it just makes them go brown and crisp and yum.

The morrisons price was great - think it was a special offer though, but it's still a cheap cut. I'd have bought a bigger bit but couldn't carry it home.

So food today has been pork, prawns, spring onion, alpro yogurt and a mim.

Re salad bar: I never find them appetizing really but I read an article about how unhygienic they are and could never go near them now!

Interesting article on why calories aren't as important as what they're made of - or, why a calorie isn't just a calorie.

http://www.gnolls.org/3374/there-is-no-such-thing-as-a-calorie-to-your-body/#.UUxxmMD7ghw.facebook

Synopsis:
There is no biochemical system in our bodies whose input is a "calorie".
The food we eat has many possible fates, only one of which approximates the definition of a dietary "calorie".
The fate of a "calorie" of food depends completely on its specific molecular composition, the composition of the foods accompanying it, and how those molecules interact with our current metabolic and nutritional state--our satiety.
Therefore, the concept of the "calorie", as applied to nutrition, is an oversimplification so extreme as to be untrue in practice.
Therefore, the concept of "calories in, calories out", or CICO, is also unhelpful in practice.
The health-supporting fates of food involve being used as raw materials to build and repair tissues; to build enzymes, cofactors, and hormones; to build bile, mucus, and other necessary secretions; to support "good" gut bacteria, while discouraging "bad" bacteria; and, once all those needs are taken care of, providing energy sufficient to perform those tasks (but no more).
Therefore, we should eat foods which are made of the raw materials we need to perform and support the above functions.
Biochemical individuality means that the optimum diet for different people will differ--as will their tolerance for suboptimal diets.
However, eating like a predator--a diet based on meat, fish, shellfish, vegetables and fruit in season, and just enough starch to support your level of physical activity--is an excellent starting point.

Hence why I suck at low calorie diets - I eat all the wrong things. And the optimum diet for me personally seems to be pretty low carb - though not for everyone.

All stuff I knew but interesting to see it laid out in a more sciencey way.

I do wish I was smart enough to really understand though. Calorie restriction obviously works, but I can lose as fast / sometimes faster on a low carb diet eating above what should be my calorie burn rate - because the protein calories are put to better use than the carb calories? I think that may be the gist of why it works for me.

I do also know now that higher carb (as in 100g +) diets and especially wheat and sugar are bad for me - they make me feel ill - crampy, bloated, sluggish, digestion problems. I feel healthier the lower carb I eat - so why am I still even tempted by carbs? Is it just social conditioning. Is it feeling deprived. Is it wanting to feel 'normal'.

It's ridiculous - even with unpleasant side effects I still choose to eat high carb and 'off plan' here and there. What's going on in my brain that it doesn't get that it's not worth the side effects.

Sugar addiction, maybe. Though I've been low carb the better part of a year now, maybe it's like all other addictions and will forever be 'one day at a time'

I think I must be lucky in that I do at least seem able to get myself back on track after my planned indulgences. Just puzzled as to why my body, knowing carbs make it ill, won't stop being interested in eating them.

Last edited:
I added a tbsp alpro yogurt into my mim mix and it totally changed the texture. Much less dense and more spongey:

image-4024853195.jpg

Looks a bit like my mums natural sea sponges, actually, but tasted nice!

Hi ML, thanks for the sciency info re calories, rather interesting.
Also pleased to hear the addition of alpro made the mim lighter, I do find them rather dense.

interesting article ML.

I did kind of an experiment this week with food and calories.

I eat a lot of lc wraps and pittas for lunch and usually have them with crisps, but this week decided to have them with soup instead and had a good loss of 3lbs.

Also couldn't exercise this week because of an injury, so was it the soup or loss of muscle? Hoping it was the soup. :)

Soup is supposed to be a good weight loss food as (usually) it fills you while being less calorie dense than a meal of the same nutritional value. Definitely a useful thing while ccing, I think!

Still puzzling over my own attitude to food. I don't eat processed meat because it has made me sick before - and despite occasionally thinking things made with processed meat look nice I am fine with not trying them.

I still struggle with bacon after eating it while nauseous. It tastes fine when I eat it but there's no appeal when I think about it. There are other foods I don't eat because my body makes those associations, but they're all protein based.

Despite having felt more ill over certain types of carbs than I ever have over the above mentioned proteins, my body/brain doesn't reject the idea of eating them again. In fact it sometimes craves them despite there being NO nutritional need.

Why would the body crave something that makes it ill and provides no benefit? Either addiction or some crazy miswiring is all I can think.

Do have to say the longer I stay off carbs the less interested in them I get. But it's very quick to reverse that process.

Anyway just rambling on at myself.

Food today should involve venison steak, scrambled eggs, courgette and grilling cheese.

I love soup and must eat more.

I found when I went back to carbs I had a reverse reaction.

I suffered from extreme bloating and even had to go to the doctor because everyone at work noticed it too. I really did look about ready to give birth.

However after about 6 weeks, carbs stopped stopped making me bloated. Not sure it's a good thing, but did find it interesting, almost like my body had to get used to them again?

I love soup and must eat more.

I found when I went back to carbs I had a reverse reaction.

I suffered from extreme bloating and even had to go to the doctor because everyone at work noticed it too. I really did look about ready to give birth.

However after about 6 weeks, carbs stopped stopped making me bloated. Not sure it's a good thing, but did find it interesting, almost like my body had to get used to them again?

I get exactly the same thing - my stomach bloats so much when I have carbs. I do think it probably is that you get more tolerant if you have them every day - or the water levels in your body slowly even out again. Carbs do make you retain water, but if that's your normal level then you don't notice it, if you know what I mean?

Back