Moonwatcher's JUDDD diary

moonwatcher

Gold Member
Hi everybody.

I have been lurking around the JUDDD boards for a few weeks now while I tried JUDDD out to see if I wanted to switch from WW. Since October 2011 I have lost 2st 8.5lbs, initially on SW and then on WW, slowly and not always surely!!!

To be fair to JUDDD, I have probably pushed it to the limit since 30th January. We have eaten out a lot, lot more than usual and I have been ill with whooping cough and another virus combined, which has meant practically no exercise. I also have not been counting cals on up days, although I have been strictly counting on down days. The reason for this was that I wanted to see what was 'normal' for me, after years of either being 'on' or 'off' a diet, and making food choices based on that. I also wanted to see if it became 'self regulating' as several things I've read suggest it does. In that time I have lost, gained and sts, but I am pretty certain that if I had been on WW over the last few weeks that I would have gained overall. This morning at WI I had lost 1.5 pounds, after a week where I ate out, had cake and chocs, but also have left food out of choice, bought Thornton's chocs, had five and then left the rest, also out of choice!

I am completely sold on this way of eating, as it fits in so well with our lifestyle. It has also made me really aware of the way I think about food and eating.

So I am prepared for a long haul as I still have a long way to go, but that is probably the first time I have said that without my heart sinking at the thought of sticking to a diet plan for long enough. This is only dieting for one day at a time, I can do that!

Look forward to meeting you all.

Last edited:
So today is an up day and has turned into quite an up day...
Breakfast was a Sainsbury's soft spiced muffin with cream cheese and honey, lunch a chive and red onion bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon. Snacks of a slice of ginger cake, a peanut biscuit and some cheddar and onion chutney crisps. Also had several cups of tea with semi skimmed milk and one coffee.

Tonight's planned dinner was going to be chilli in a wrap with cheese, sour cream, guacamole, salsa, salad and garlic bread, but tbh I don't think I can eat it all! May forget the wrap and most of the toppings and just have a bowl of chilli with some garlic bread and then have an orange instead! Just put it into mfp and if I had it all it would be 2500 cals, but if I cut it down to this that knocks off around 500 cals.

And just to prove I'm not a complete piggy, (!) yesterday's down day was half a pack of spicy couscous with a chilli and an ounce of garlic sausage chopped in for a late lunch and hot punjabi prawns with one ounce (dry weight) rice cooked with biryani spices for dinner. Green, black and herbal teas plus water to drink. 487 cals.

Good luck with JUDDD. In my opinion, it's definitely THE best diet. I agree that it improves your relationship with food. Don't get me wrong, I do have some bingey up days but, because you are essentially dieting for just one day, there's always another day to enjoy your treats.

Your up day today sounds delish. All very much my kind of food. I am obsessed with smoked salmon bagels :) x

Forgot to ask, how much are you aiming to lose? You've done really well so far. x

Forgot to ask, how much are you aiming to lose? You've done really well so far. x
My target is 8st 13lbs. I started at 17st 7lbs, so still have nearly 6st to go. I had some major personal stuff going on last year which derailed me quite a bit, so I am hoping that the next few stone will go a bit more quickly.

It can seem so daunting when you have got a lot to lose. 6 years ago I went from 15st to 10st with Scottish Slimmers. I started in May and had lost 5st by December. When your dieting clicks, it's great. When other stuff gets in the way, it can be torture.

This time I went on Cambridge to start with but, after 3 months I was going crazy and knew there was no chance of me sticking with it over Xmas. JUDDD has been a life saver. There is no way I am going to allow myself to pile on the pounds again. I get so miserable and down on myself when I'm big. It's just not worth it. I think JUDDD will be a lifetime eating plan for me to maintain. x

Just been looking at your stats. You have done brilliantly well and you are so close to goal! I tried the Cambridge diet a couple of times, years ago now, but couldn't stick with it. I just love food - planning it, cooking it (or ordering it!) and eating it. Not so keen on the washing up though! I admire people who can stick with VLCDs, but they're not for me. That's why I am so impressed with JUDDD - I can cook things I want to, when I want to and my whole approach to food is changing, even after this short time. Bearing in mind I have been dieting on and off since I was 13, and I'm now 51, that is quite something!

Thank you. It's funny, for the first 8 weeks I found Cambridge a doddle (even thought I am obsessed with food). My losses weren't even that impressive after the first two weeks, I was averaging about 2lb per week. However, weeks 9-12 were torturous as it was socially taking it's toll and I had to get off it. Now, I look back and can't believe that I was able to do it for three months. I would struggle to manage it for a day now! JUDDD is the exact opposite. You don't have to put your life on hold, it fits in with you. x

Completely agree about how JUDDD fits into real life. This week I have been out for two meals, two coffee and pastry/cake stops, and still dropped some weight. Most importantly for me too, is that there has been no guilt about what I've eaten.

Agree with everything Bedtimebear says about JUDDD and VLCD, I too found the losses weren't that impressive after the first few weeks and even had the odd sts, which is totally mind melting when you know you haven't eaten anything except a pack or a shake!!

I'm really happy with my losses on JUDDD and it's taught me so much about my eating habits and undone a lot of previous dieting behaviour, it takes quite a while to get out of that "diet trained" mindset!! Learning that I can have anything I want, just not everyday has been a revelation to me and the one day at a time approach really works for my poor brain as well.

You are doing great moonwatcher, onwards and downwards!!

Hey Moonwatcher, Just catching up on your diary :) well done on your losses so far & some great responses from other judddbuds. I totally agree with all the comments, I see juddd as an encouraging Woe, DDs to shift that weight & UDs to relax & enjoy (within reason of course). I could never do VLCDs like cambridge etc as I'd be scared I'd wake up with an arm missing. lol

Hi Lanarkwitch.

Yes, I think we sort of expect VLCDs to be the 'miracle' we're all hoping for, but obviously they aren't right for everyone. Your losses are fantastic. Good luck with your 'final push!'

... and Hi to DeeOne too. Thanks both of you for dropping in. 'Judddbuds' - I like that!

So today was another Up day.

Breakfast was a soft spiced fruit muffin again, with butter and maple syrup

Lunch was at a Hungry Horse. We went out to collect a breadmaker we had bought on Ebay (fresh home-made bread 4 days a week if I want .....Yum!) Stopped at the pub for lunch, and ... it happened... I read through the menu, which normally would have had me wanting one of everything and finding it really hard to choose. Today I felt I could take or leave any of them - settled for a beef sunday roast, left some on the plate, no pudding! Did quaff a pint of Rekorderlig cider with cinnamon and vanilla though! Much, much better than diet coke!

Popped into Elveden 'lifestyle shops and restaurant' (yep, that is how it's advertised - you just know a cushion is probably going to cost more than I paid for my sofas!) The food shop was the main draw though, and we came away with a few goodies - some loose earl grey tea, belgian chocs, a rice pudding mix with apricots and ginger, and two cheeses - wensleydale with figs and honey, and oh my word, I am in heaven -

mature cheddar with dark chocolate curls!

(Feel this deserves its own line - cheddar and chocolate together, and I can eat some today, Tuesday and Thursday without guilt. Haven't included next week-end, as I'm sure it will be gone by then!)

Afternoon coffee stop - one mocha and a slice of coffee and walnut cake, although I left some of the cake (I cannot believe I am leaving food like this)

Quite full now - have had three of the belgian chocs and a cup of tea since coming home. May have another wedge of the cheddar and chocolate cheese with some crackers in a minute.

OK, so I admit it, I appear to be obsessed with food. :) Down day tomorrow - soup at lunchtime, and something with chicken for dinner. Looking forward to that too.

LOL we found chocolate cheese at xmas here and since it was only cocoa powder that was in it it was fine for Mr Lanarks low carb life, it disappeared, not sure exactly what happened to it but I never even got to taste it!

I really miss those lovely quality food shops, we just don't have many of them here and if we do they are so eye wateringly expensive it takes the enjoyment out of it, you are so lucky!

Subscibing so I remember you have a new diary now!

Weekend food sounds really lovely. I am very much intrigued by the idea of this cheddar with dark chocolate. I can't quite get my head around what it would taste like at all which leaves me only with the option of trying to find some to try! I did make dark chocolate stilton truffles a few weeks ago for a friend's birthday and I really quite liked them. I guess its a similar principle.

LOL we found chocolate cheese at xmas here and since it was only cocoa powder that was in it it was fine for Mr Lanarks low carb life, it disappeared, not sure exactly what happened to it but I never even got to taste it!

I really miss those lovely quality food shops, we just don't have many of them here and if we do they are so eye wateringly expensive it takes the enjoyment out of it, you are so lucky!

Ah, so you have a secret cheese eating fairy in your house too! I love a wander round those types of shop. Do you have supermarkets as we know them here?

Subscibing so I remember you have a new diary now!

Weekend food sounds really lovely. I am very much intrigued by the idea of this cheddar with dark chocolate. I can't quite get my head around what it would taste like at all which leaves me only with the option of trying to find some to try! I did make dark chocolate stilton truffles a few weeks ago for a friend's birthday and I really quite liked them. I guess its a similar principle.
Hi Atomic and welcome to my new diary! The cheese is extremely good, although the OH and I both agreed that you probably wouldn't know it was chocolate unless somebody told you. It is obvious there is a 'secret' ingredient, but not what that ingredient is. It gives the cheese a delicious flavour though. Hmmmmm - it's a down day - think I need to forget about cheese!

Back