Moonwatcher's Primal/Calorie Counting Adventure!

Morning MW,

I thought you were going to try Paleo? There is a hardcore detox program for Paleo called The Whole 30 -- you do 30 days totally on Paleo and then move on to a more flexible plan.

Also, have you ever heard of Rosemary Conley portion pots? When I use those (and I shall FOREVER), I am very conscious of what a portion is and I do very well.

Have you also tried drinking the infused waters to help with detox, hydration, and feeling full? They have infusion balls at Dunelm (you put the sliced fruit/veg in those).

Anyway . . . don't beat yourself up! PICK YOURSELF UP . . . and formulate a plan that will shift those five pounds (low carb -should do that) and then figure put a way of eating that will help you reach your target.

I was in the same boat a week ago -- my all time post Lighter Life high (2008). Now, I'm back to the same weights month ago. And, I am hoping to be less next week and so forth.

Can't believe it is three weeks since I updated my diary.

Low carb did indeed shift those 5.8 lbs Mel - once I finally got back on track properly last week, they shifted in the first week. Next weigh in is this weekend - don't feel like much else has shifted, but we will see. I have seen the Paleo 30, but giving up cheese and dairy is out for me, although I suppose I should 'never say never.' I have been quite strict on the carbs so far - no BNS, sweet potatoes, root veg etc., as I wanted to have a good start. Have not been calorie counting, just sticking to low carb with good fats and drinking absolutely loads of water with a splash of lemon juice.

Exams are in with a vengeance at school, so I am reading and/or scribing for them most lessons. There are lots of dazed year 11s wandering round, as usual at this time of year, as they realise that exams are real! Have spent the evenings over the last two weeks recording 50 videos from an online diabetes summit, so have not been on here much. Hope everyone is doing well.

Good catch up! Congrats on your loss and making your plan work.

Nice to see you back :)

Glad to hear that you have managed to shift the 5lbs. Are you planning on keeping to low carb primal at the moment or are you going to try to reintroduce some of the starchier veg?

Good catch up! Congrats on your loss and making your plan work.

Nice to see you back :)

Glad to hear that you have managed to shift the 5lbs. Are you planning on keeping to low carb primal at the moment or are you going to try to reintroduce some of the starchier veg?

Not sure what my plan is at the moment to be honest! Spent a second week on low carb primal, no calorie counting, and gained one of those pounds back, but I sort of expected that - massive water loss first week, then body settling down a bit. Last week has been a bit of everything, but in sensible portions, no sweets, choc, desserts, crisps etc., bulletproof coffees for breakfast and yesterday's WI was a STS.

I am struggling to find a way forward that I am completely happy with. No doubt for me that last year's reset phase put me more in touch with my appetite and my actual calorie needs (as opposed to what I fancied!). The most relaxed I have felt about the whole food and eating kaboodle was then, when I could eat 'naturally,' nothing was banned. As we said at the time, once you get used to the idea that nothing is out of bounds, you find yourself making healthy choices more naturally a lot of the time. However, that is not a feasible approach for me now, much as I would love it to be, because a) the gluten sensitivity and b) OH's diabetes. Once you re -introduce limitations into the mix, then the whole total freedom of choice aspect is gone, and I don't think it works in the same way. Where I seem to be now is that I no longer have the 'all or nothing' diet approach that you get on each fresh start, but I can't seem to find an approach to replace it, so I seem to be drifting along - a more relaxed attitude to food, yes, but too relaxed to actually lose any weight! I was very interested in the quotes from The Becks Diet Solution on MinnieMel's diary.It uses CBT principles with any diet plan, and it struck me I needed to look more at my mind's approach to dieting. The book was on Amazon special offer for Kindle download at 99p, about £10 off, so I have downloaded it for a good read over half term. If I can stay the same over half term that will be ok, and hopefully I will be prepared to move forward again with some definite direction.

Afternoon!

Complacency is killer. I find BECK helps me to stick to my plan a lot better. I might need to reevaluate my plan if I find my losses too disheartening - but I'm "getting ready to diet" if nothing else with what I'm doing.

What is a "bulletproof" coffee?

Not sure what my plan is at the moment to be honest! Spent a second week on low carb primal, no calorie counting, and gained one of those pounds back, but I sort of expected that - massive water loss first week, then body settling down a bit. Last week has been a bit of everything, but in sensible portions, no sweets, choc, desserts, crisps etc., bulletproof coffees for breakfast and yesterday's WI was a STS.

I am struggling to find a way forward that I am completely happy with. No doubt for me that last year's reset phase put me more in touch with my appetite and my actual calorie needs (as opposed to what I fancied!). The most relaxed I have felt about the whole food and eating kaboodle was then, when I could eat 'naturally,' nothing was banned. As we said at the time, once you get used to the idea that nothing is out of bounds, you find yourself making healthy choices more naturally a lot of the time. However, that is not a feasible approach for me now, much as I would love it to be, because a) the gluten sensitivity and b) OH's diabetes. Once you re -introduce limitations into the mix, then the whole total freedom of choice aspect is gone, and I don't think it works in the same way. Where I seem to be now is that I no longer have the 'all or nothing' diet approach that you get on each fresh start, but I can't seem to find an approach to replace it, so I seem to be drifting along - a more relaxed attitude to food, yes, but too relaxed to actually lose any weight! I was very interested in the quotes from The Becks Diet Solution on MinnieMel's diary.It uses CBT principles with any diet plan, and it struck me I needed to look more at my mind's approach to dieting. The book was on Amazon special offer for Kindle download at 99p, about £10 off, so I have downloaded it for a good read over half term. If I can stay the same over half term that will be ok, and hopefully I will be prepared to move forward again with some definite direction.

I will be really interested to see how to get on with The Becks Diet Solution. Its not an approach I am particularly familiar with.

I think I am probably in a similar place to you at the moment diet-wise. I am still glad that I did the reset last year too, because I do believe its what I needed psychologically and physically after slogging so long on pretty measly calories and not getting anywhere but I despair a little when I see the scales at the moment as they are about 1 stone up from where they were at the start of 2013 :( I got drunk and cranky just over a week ago and ended up joining WW online. I don't want to really limit my calories hugely again but I wanted a bit more structure than just calorie counting was giving me. I've just been away for the weekend in London for our wedding anniversary where much food was eaten so won't really know how the change is affecting for scales for over another week.

Back