More self-conscious than before?

xMandyDx

Determination is Key
I don't know about any of you, but I'm hoping I'm not the only one who feels more self-conscious than before I lost any weight.
I started out at 18st, and am now 14st, so quite a difference. But I feel even more "what are they looking at me for?" than I did before I started my SW journey.
It's probably because for the first time in my life I've actually seriously sat down and acknowledged that my weight was a huge problem, whereas before I started doing anything about it, I was quite happy in oblivion.

Anyone else?

I'm scared that it'll get worse and worse and by the time I'm at target I'll be a nervous wreck, or worse, pile it all back on!!

Mandy I can completely sympathise and posted something similar a month or two ago. It's horrible. My main issue rather than other people staring is with my mirror, when I was heavier I looked in it and thought I looked ok, I honestly look in it now and find it very difficult not to pick out flaws and lumps and bumps.
Part of me thinks its because we're making a conscious effort to change our bodies that we almost become obsessed with them and what we and other people might see when we/they look at us.
I think and hope its a case of our minds taking a while to catch up with our bodily changes!

I'm sort of the same, when I was at my biggest I was very unhappy, but looking back to before I put weight on I was a size 12 and happy. I never really worried that much about my body, but now I'm at target I'm a size 8 and I see lumps and bumps that make me miserable. I'd actually feel really big now if I went back to a 12, I don't think I carry weight very well because I in no way think that a size 12 is big, I have loads of size 12 friends and I think they look amazing, but I look at myself and just can't be happy with my body. Well not all the time, I am getting better at appreciating myself, but it is hard.

I think it might be something to do with being more aware of our weight and bodies and what we want

I'm also very conscious of the fact that when I do reach target, I'll probably have areas of loose skin and wrinkly bits. At the moment I'm not sure whether I'd rather have the fatty bits or the wrinkly bits lol it's awful, the degree at which we judge ourselves!

I completely know what you mean. I am far more aware of lumps and bumps than I was before, I know I've lost a good amount of weight and all my family and friends are constantly telling me that I don't need to lose anymore weight (which is another bug bear - does my head in!!) but I look in the mirror and still aren't happy with what I see, whereas before, I knew I was overweight but seemed more accepting of my flaws. I do worry that no matter how much weight I lose I still won't be happy with what I see.

Back