Morticia's Musings

Hi Jez, I only had a tiny amount of rice in the RTM week. It was just some left over from hubby's dinner which I added to a salad with some sultanas/peppers/nuts. Afterwards I just felt slightly tired. I'm thinking of trying the quinoa alternative that Kat talks about. I must ask here where to get it. I'm also going to try brown rice to see if that has the same effect. I'm sure if you've had no problems with bread so far Jez you will be fine. I've just not had some things often enough to really work things out. I've only had pasta once so I'm still not sure with that one.

Thanks ladies for the cooked breakfast suggestions. I'm hungry now thinking about it all...lol. But seriously I had forgotten about the mushrooms. Will probably try for a scrambled egg as I've always hated eggs (mostly due to the texture) but have had a craving from scrambled egg which I've had one or twice sine RTM. Tis funny how our tastes change.

I get my Quinoa in Sainsburys. You can get white or red. I tend to get the natural looking one just cos it is a tad cheaper - approx £2.39-£2.79 a box.

It can usually be found on or near the pasta/rice aisle or the next one over.

You will also be able to get it in health food shops :)

I am going to make a chilli this week sometime and serve it with quinoa.

The good thing with quinoa is that it is so versatile and I love it!

Enjoy it!

Kat xx

Thanks Kat for that...:)

A quick update. I've lost 2 of the 4lb gained last week. Still feel a bit bloated so I think it's been fluid retention. anyway eating is back to level of before holiday. I had not logged my cals since september so not sure what my daily intake was but I've done the last 4 days which is a typical snapshot of my usual intake and it's been between 1000-1200. This is probably a bit low, but I'm worried that increasing it will increase weight. This glycogen thing confuses me. If at the end of RTM I had lost 13lb, and my daily intake is around 1200 cals, does this mean I've never restored my glycogen and anything above 1200 cals will automatically do that???

Any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

I am not sure - glycogen thing throws me out sometimes too! What I do know is that if you are "not" eating enough calories then your body will hold onto what it has got so that may be something to think about it your cal intake is so low.

Hope someone with better knowledge can give you some sort of indication.

Kat xx

Ps: well done for shifting that 2lb though!

Have come here tonight for a bit of a rant and to get something off my chest......just a warning as it's not going to be an uplifting post...:)

Have just spent part of the evening at my brothers. Sister in law who I have spoke about before (her of the same height but slightly heavier than me who must be big boned!!). Anyway, not seen them since mid August and I suppose she is miffed that I don't seem to have put on weight, in fact I've lost. So not only was I looking drained, I was looking tired, my eyes were red and now she has decided that she thinks people who are a bit heavier actually look much better than thinner people. Funny she never said that all the years she made comments to my brother about his two fat sisters....:mad:

This came after a big discussion where it was ridiculed that I should be on decaf coffee, with no milk...god it took them long enough to get their heads around that....until porridge was mentioned. Don't get me started on how appalled they were that I was having my porridge sweet with yoghurt and fruit....:eek:, that is beyond comprehension. Then there was much hillarity and joking about what I actually ate these days. It was presumed that I actually don't eat anything because that is the only way obviously to stay thin. At times like these I really see my family for the narrow minded, secular, insular bigots that they are. God forbid that they should know what I get up to in other areas of my life :D....they would die with their legs in the air....:8855:

Families...who needs them??

Ps My dad and sister are still fully supportive.

Ah yes, families. Just remember - you didn't choose them.

Be proud of yourself and feel a bit sorry for your sil. Smile to yourself in the knowledge that every one of her comments is designed to lift her own self esteem which is knocked down by you every time she sees you. :D

And enjoy your porrige ;). xx

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR I am so angry on your behalf!! What a bunch of numpties, seriously Morticia, sometimes it is not worth it and in the words of the immortal Sisters of Mercy... "walk, walk, walk, walk awaaaaaaaaaaay"

Be proud of you, forget their small mindedness, infact pity is all they deserve.

Hope you have a happier day now hun, and go out and enjoy that porridge!!!

Jez
xx

People can so be like that! I have started to notice it a little more now they "see" me eating!

Sod it hun, she is just jealous!

ha ha on your comment about "other areas of life" ;) lolol

Kat xx

Hahahaha, so true, have they seen your fabulous pictures, I would mail them to the silly cow just to brag!!! Because honey you look totally amazing in them!!!

Jez
xx

Yeah defo!

Oh that reminds me, I had some pics taken last night! I will upload!

Kat xx

Thanks guys. I really needed to get that off my chest. I feel better this morning. Had a long chat with my sister who was also there last night. We plan on doing the charity walk doing a part of the Great Wall of China next year. Apparently after I had left last night my sister told them about this and that too was ridiculed...I mean why would you want to do that?...and for charity, ohh you would not get me doing that for charity was the reply.....god the inspiration and motivation I get from some quarters in my family knows no bounds. My 70 year old father is so proud of us wanting to do it yet my brother and SIL think it's a waste of time.

Bless....my son even sat with me last night telling me that what I've got to understand is that these people may not know they are being negative and it's probably jealousy and they probably do it unconsciously. Sometimes I wonder how he turned out so level headed, I'm sure he has been here before. He most definitely has an old head on young shoulders and I'm so proud that he has such an open mind free from the normal West of Scotland male mentality......ohh gosh that turned into another rant. Best I go lie down. Better still I'm off to have a look at Kat's new piccies....:D

A little update from me.

Well it's been about 6 weeks now that I've been out solo in the big bad world of food and choices. So far so good. My weight is steady between 8st 12 and 9st so I'm happy with that. I'm not needing to be too conscientious about things. If I feel I've overdone it one day I will pull back and count calories on food focus the next day and that seems to be working. I'm no longer in that all or nothing headspace that I was in for years...unconsciously I might add. I'm still trying to go running twice a week and do an exercise class on a Saturday. Not managing to do the second run in the last few weeks just due to busy time of year but it's not affected my weight so I'm not getting hung up about it.

Went to a foodies fair in Edinburgh on Sunday. That was interesting. Thye had lots and lots and lots of things to try. Quite a challenge to stop yourself from just trying everything out. The friend I was with was enthusiastically trying at every stand we went to. I tried to only nibble on things I was likely to buy so that put a cap on it. I did pick up some interesting alternative crisps. They are dehydrated fruit and veg varieties. The ones I chose were apple and cinnamon, carrot and parprika and beetroot. All of which were gorgeous as a snack. In fact the beetroot ones were being used as a little topping for some sweet potato soup at another stall. Anyway, they are all low fat and low calories. I had the apple ones last night as a snack and only 57 calories...they were yum. Apparently they are being sold in Dobbies and tesco but will soon be in Sainbury's too so I'm well chuffed about that. Also bought some lovely balsamic, one with ginger and another with orange zest....yum. And last but not least I picked up some lovely oatcakes and other oaty biscuits for an occasional treat. All in all it was a good day. Went to a few food demo's and Chef's Theatre to watch the top chef's prepare something far too delicate for human consumption but was all entertaining.

Hope everyone has had a good week and getting all prepared for Chrimbo. I'm a bit apprehensive about the food side of things but will try to be chilled about it.

Ps for anyone interested the crisps were called Snapz...:)

Tum te tum....ohh it's like tumbleweeds in here...:D

Busy time of year for everyone so I'm not catching up here as much as I used to. Anyway it's now 6/7 weeks of maintenance. I have been out for 4 Christmas events in a row, all involving food. I've managed to only put on 1lb (in total since end of RTM) which I'm quite proud of. Not managed as much exercise this week though. One of the nights out I went to we managed to get a group photograph done by the resident photographer. When it was time to go get the prints I actually became quite emotional seeing them. I'm so used to thinking I looked good then seeing the photographic evidence that told me the opposite. Now, I was looking at a photograph that made me look as good as I felt and that made me fill up...soppy cow!

The nights were all good fun. I decided to enjoy mayself and not be too strict. At one event you had to order the pud right at the start which always annoys me as I never know if I'm going to be in the mood. Anywa, I ordered white chocolate cheesecake. By the time it came I was almost full so decided to have just a tiny bit to get the taste of it. So that's what I did and managed to push the plate away after having a mouthful no bigger than a thumbnail size. It's actually quite liberating doing that and knowing I have the power and determination to do that.....gosh it felt good. Spent all night at two of the events on the dancefloor after having the food to make sure any excess was worked off and it seems to have worked to a degree.

Popped in to the LL class tonight for first time in 3 or 4 weeks. We did a session on colour personalities which was quite revealing. If anyone has done it before they will know what I mean but I was not the colour I thought I would be. It makes me want to go read more into it. I thought I had a good insight into the type of personality I am....but there are always surprises in this journey. Hey ho...all good stuff I suppose.

Hope everyone is having a good December and will have a chilled out Christmas.

Back