motivation and advice for a sugar adict

monkeys bunny

need 2get my head into it
Hi,

im 28 and currently doing the Slimming World plan, i have lost 1and half stone but am slowly slipping back upwards :cry:.

the problem is i have a very very sweet tooth and once i start i really cant stop, i have done things like getting rid of all chocolate in the house etc etc but then i just binge on cereal with ganulated sweetner on it!:confused:. has anyone got any ideas of how i can kick the habbit as it really is an addiction with me, i really do need help.

i have tried looking through your other threads etc but cant find anything specific so sorry if this is a repeat for you all but please please please help.

by the way i try and do lost of exercise i walk 28 miles a week, do exercise videos and have even taken up pole dancing lessions just to try and keep the weight off cos i crave so much i need to do more and more excerise just so i dont put more than a pound on a week.

im at the end of my rope with it now.

thank you in advance
x

how do you cope with your cravings? have you got any tips, i have lots of good ideas of what im going to do when i fancy something but then when it happens it all goes out of the window

Hey hun, welcome to the forum.

Have you tried making any of the desserts in the recipe thread? I know they are not as good as the real thing, but some are really low in syns.

If I need something sweet I'll have a yogurt. One girl at my SW class will have an options hot chocolate (2 syns) and put 6 sweetners in it. That sounds gross to me but it worked for her and she lost every week.

I'm more of a savoury eater myself so can't offer a lot of help with your sweet craving, I'm sure the others will have loads of advice for you though.

One more thing..... STOP SLIPPINIG UPWARDS - hehe, start a diary on here and write down EVERYTHING you eat, join the weight loss challenge thread and get stuck into it girl.

xxx

thank you Louise, i do write everything down and my friend made a sheet to write on just for me cos im special...i shall go look for the diary posting on here and the challenge thingy.

the problem is i really cant cook but apart from that if i start with something even a low syn sweet kick, it spirals into a food fest, im really that bad....im hoping talking about it on here will help me to get some will power and stop being so useless about it all.

thank you i shall pop off and look for the diary post thingy. *pop*

The low sugar jelly pots are good for a sweet hit. Other than that I can't help, sorry

For now I am back on Lipotrim as I went back to my old ways thinking I was cured of my sugar addiction.:(:sigh:

Once I go through the withdrawals from sugar I do not have any cravings for sugar after that...

Don't eat over ripe bananas as they contain too much sugar and I would go easy on the cheese as it is very fattening.

This is the weather for having lovely salads, not much cooking involved in making them.:)

CURB THOSE CRAVINGS
Certain nutrients in common foods will help regulate blood sugar levels and combat cravings. Boost your levels of chromium with broccoli, cheese, dried beans and chicken.

Eating beef, poultry, fish, eggs, dairy, nuts and pulses will top up your phosphorus levels. Good sources of sulphur include onions, cranberries and leafy green vegetables.

Eat plenty of bananas, cheese, liver, lamb and spinach as these contain tryptophan

Source: Daily Express: The World's Greatest Newspaper :: Health :: Are you a sugar addict?-

Monkeys bunny - you make your own diary thread thing, just click "new post" and call it your diary. If you stuggle let me know and I'll set one up for you x

ooowww thankyou louise, your a really nice bunch of people on here its very refreshing. i put a pound on tonight but im hoping to 'start again, again' with the motivation i have got from you lot. thank you :)

you could try eating loads of slow release carbs which will keep your blood sugar level steady.

the more sugar you eat then more you crave it as when you blood sugar level drops it DRRRROPS and your body needs more to give you a sugar rush.

i have mini milks in the freezer for whenever i fancy something sweet. they're only 1.5 sins each, so you could eat 10 a day and still lose weight!

Hi monkeys bunny, when i need something sweet i mix a 11g satchet of options (whatever flavour you fancy) with a tub of either Total 0% greek style yogurt or very low fat fromaige frais its only 2 syns and its lovely, i love the orange options one. Hope this helps.
Try not to slip back into old habits, you have done so well and to lose the amount you have is such an achievement. Keep motivated, you can do it. :happy096: xxx Loobylou

One of the reasons for craving something sweet is because you're dehydrated. Are you sure you're drinking enough water? I never had a sweet tooth until I gave up smoking and now I have a terrible sweet tooth but not all the time (weird!) but I find when I'm really craving sweetness if I have a drink of water and then wait a few minutes, the craving quite often goes away.

FT :)

Karen is right about the carbs, I'm a terrible chocaholic but when I started SW (Yes, I can remember that far back!) I was filling up on pasta and potatoes and it was 2 weeks before I realised I'd not had any chocolate!

One of the reasons for craving something sweet is because you're dehydrated. Are you sure you're drinking enough water? I never had a sweet tooth until I gave up smoking and now I have a terrible sweet tooth but not all the time (weird!) but I find when I'm really craving sweetness if I have a drink of water and then wait a few minutes, the craving quite often goes away.

FT :)

yes i try and have at least 2ltrs a day we have a water machine at work and i have a giant and i mean giant glass, its like a vase ha ha so i do try very hard on that point. im more determined just from all the help and support you girls have given me and was proud of myself last night as my partner sat in bed watching tv with me eating a stick of rock! and i didnt have any :)

I'm a chocoholic and I've gone 3 weeks without any. I find that if I have a tiny bit I want tons so I have to keep away from things I might pig out on. Have you tried Alpen light bars? They're pretty good, I have 2 before bedtime with cocoa (god I sound boring!). Also, frozen banana & custard mullerlights are great, they taste like ice cream and it takes ages to eat them.

Mini strawberry meringue nests 16 pack from tesco are 1 syn each on either day!

After a while you get used to not having sweets and crisps and also you stop craving. The more you eat the more you crave, apparently.

Back