• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

Mouth abscess

i have a funny lump on my gum and altho it's not painful i know it's there and it feels quite big - is this how an abscess starts??? I've had swollen gums before and it's definitely different and a definite lump. I'm hoping its just a gum boil but how can you tell the difference?!?!

I'm scared cos i know how painful mouth abscesses can be from people that have had them before.

Help!

I shoulda been a man the way i react to pain haha!! :p

Get Rid of this ad and join in on the conversation for free today! Tap here!
Oh hun - sorry to hear that!! As someone who's just had a root canal for an abscess under a tooth, it sounds to me like you've got a gumboil. Abscesses are excruitiatingly painful, especially when they're hitting a nerve - ouch!!!!

I guess the only way forward is to go see your dentist and let him/her have a poke about! hehehe

Hope you feel better soon!

Mini

Administrator
Staff member
S: 18st2lb C: 15st13lb G: 11st2lb Loss: 2st3lb(12.2%)
Hi Karen,

Poor you, I got one the other week and I did not notice it until it was big and on the inside of my check and it was very painful as it burst when I accidentally bit it... I was in traffic at the time.

I got aloclair in the chemist and it cleared it up within completely within a couple of days.

It says on the box, easy to use liquid forms a non stinging protective barrier. It works by creating a shield around the ulcer thus providing relief of pain associated with mouth ulcers.

I felt it worked as it says on the box.

Love Mini xxx

So if it was an abscess and seeing as it is already quite a large lump should it be really really painful already??? Or is it a slow build up to the pain?!?!

It's getting bigger by the hour - and it only appeared this monring - no real pain though, it just feels big!

Mins - i know it's not an ulcer, but i haven't had a gumboil since i was a little girl so can't remember how they feel!!

V annoying!!

Mini

Administrator
Staff member
S: 18st2lb C: 15st13lb G: 11st2lb Loss: 2st3lb(12.2%)
Thanks Mini honey, but it ain't no ulcer! it's a big lump whereas ulcers are more of a depressed form with a white edge - i've had loads of ulcers before!!

I'm praying it's a gumboil cos i don't think i could deal with an abscess!!

Plus i gotta be on top form for blackpool this weekend!

Poor you have you tried rinsing with anticeptic mouthwash, i know it souns a poor cure but it might help:rolleyes:

That's a good point Dawn, i do have some tcp in the cupboard - but yuk?!?!? I also have some cordosyl (sp) which i haven't opened yet cos i had gum disease a while ago.. may try that!!

S: 13st1lb C: 13st1lb G: 10st10lb BMI: 29.5 Loss: 0st0lb(0%)
Karen, this is really spooky but we must be separated at birth, my welshie-binge-twin!! I have a funny lump inside my cheek which is large enough to see but not huge, but it's not painful but it's hard to the touch. I wondered whether it was an absess but as it doesn't hurt I don't think so. It's definately not an ulcer so I am stumped. I meant to ask the nurse when I went for my blood test results but forgot!

I have to see the nurse for my smear when I go back up to Edinburgh, do you think it's appropriate to ask her about it then?

OMG Sarah that is sooooo weird!!! Pleased to say the lump has gone down considerably!!

Yes defo ask her about it when you next see her.......

I'm way overdue for a smear too - v naughty but i hate them!

i have a funny lump on my gum and altho it's not painful i know it's there and it feels quite big - is this how an abscess starts??? I've had swollen gums before and it's definitely different and a definite lump. I'm hoping its just a gum boil but how can you tell the difference?!?!

I'm scared cos i know how painful mouth abscesses can be from people that have had them before.

Help!

I shoulda been a man the way i react to pain haha!! :p
Omg! I have something that sounds exactly the same!
Can anybody help me??? please x
It was really big, but then it popped so I rinsed my mouth out, and it didn't exactly taste bad, but it stunk!
And now it has reformed, slightly, it had a yellow top and red around and underneath it. It seems really delicate to touch now, I forgot to ask the dentist and my next appointment isn't until 2 weeks away!
I had a lot of pain, but that was because I needed a filling, so I now have a filling and no pain at all! not from the lump, I have had an abscess before, and I was never free from pain!
What is it???? x